LegacyGT.com

Belt squealing at startup. Too tight or loose?

Belt squeal after car has been sitting or on humid days. Happens when starting car, immediately stop if I turn off A/C. Sometimes I turn a/c off and back on to make noise go away. Otherwise would squeal for 30-45 seconds.. Belt is newer replaced about 6 months ago.. Indication of belt being too tight or loose? The 3.6R is manually adjusted, doesn't have the auto belt tensioner. Any insight? -cheers

Unsure, but I thought there was a TSB years ago, for this.

Funny. I mentioned to TSB before I had replaced the belt. I got the deer in headlights look. Rather than belittle them or waste my time, I bought a belt from the parts department and did it myself.

And yes, the belt material was drastically different in construction compared to the original one on the car.. Not different from wear or age, the actual materail was different.

Is it belt squeal or are the compressor/compressor clutch bearings on the way out?

The compressor was replaced 6/2017. And the belt squal while compressor was running stayed almost the same after replacement. You would think they would have replaced the belt at the same time, but nope. I waited about 2 years before replacing the belt on my own..

In your older thread I didn't see any mention of belt squeal, just noise from a low charge or possibly a bearing.

In late 2016 or early 2017, why would they change the belt on a car that was merely 2-3 years old, and had less than 30k? Yeah the belts may not be expensive, but dealers can't just replace these "cheap" parts on every vehicle that comes in.

Different belt material really means nothing, probably just made by a different manufacturer, doesn't suggest a problem with the oem belt that they changed.