LegacyGT.com

5th Gen LGT Cobb Flex Fuel Debacle

Made this post on the 5th gen LGT facebook group but I am posting it here since I know there are some forum guys not on facebook.

I want to stress I'm not out for blood. I just want to make sure cobb gets it right so the flex fuel kit for our cars can be a success and we can continue to see products offered specifically for these unicorns.

I hope by then end of next month I can delete both of these posts and give 5 star reviews with dyno graphs to make a 4th gen gt drool out his tail pipe.

Hey 5th Gen LGT Fam, I make a point to avoid saying bad things about products. If I like them I recommend if I don't try to drive people away as they might like it.

However;

The cobb flex fuel debacle has reached a tipping point for me. Tonight I had a group member ask me about the wrong kit issue and after exchanging pictures we have found out he received the incorrect kit.

What's worse is that he's already spent all day talking with cobb and they are insisting he has the right kit. I checked their website and they wire harness pictured in their store under 10-12 Lgt is the wrong one.

I have left a very detailed review highlighting the harness problem as well as the fuel line length issue. I am not trying to take cobb down to tell every last unicorn not to buy the kit

I don't want to chase away a manufacturer who took a chance on us by offering support for our unique cars. I want to help them get it right so that when I say I'm on e85 and making awesome power, other people can be inspired and do it to. I will caution anyone about buying the flex fuel kit right now as you may end up with a headache trying to get it to work and trying to get the right parts from cobb.

My goal is to be able to say cobb fixed the issue, they pulled all the kits from inventory and corrected them, and I am confident you will be able to easily convert to flex fuel. When that happens you will hear from me.

Thanks for having a read and I hope you join me in trying to be on Cobb's side and not against them.

Can you give more information on what exactly the problem is, maybe some pics and captions explaining it visually. I am considering the flex fuel kit, but not if its going to be a hassle.

Sure, not to be lazy but my review is up.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/fuel-system/subaru-flex-fuel-ethanol-sensor-kit-5-pin-lgt-2010-2012

Nutshell they pack a ton of kits wrong, the picture on the website show the wrong wire harness, the fuel lines are just a tad off but they aren't offering a fix for that only sending out the correct wire harness.

They say they have fixed their kits but a facebook group member recently bought one and it was wrong. He spoke with them all day and their customer service guy insisted he had the right part. I talked to him for 5 minutes and he had proof they sent him the wrong kit.

Hold off on buying it for now. Once they straighten their shit out I'll let you know. It has potential to be a super easy plug and play set up.

I didn't even know there was a flex fuel option for our cars. I've been running on straight e85 for 1.5 years.

Will be watching this thread closely for updates on when they get it right.

Any tuner can work with this kit right?

I currently have a custom tune from someone.

Sent from my HTC_M10h using Tapatalk

I didn't even know there was a flex fuel option for our cars. I've been running on straight e85 for 1.5 years.

Will be watching this thread closely for updates on when they get it right.

Any tuner can work with this kit right?

I currently have a custom tune from someone.

Yes any tuner should be able to work this kit. It works best when paired with an accessport v3 but Cobb only confirms fitment with USDM. If your tuner can read through cobb's documentation he can set up your car to go into limp mode when the cobb flex fuel brain spits out 0 or 5 volts indicating an error with the sensor or water in the fuel.

Edited by A_A_ron
compatibility

Dont see why pay top dollar for a name brand.

I have a flexfuel kit from a different company and been problem free since install! Not to mention paying atleast 50% less.

After seeing this post, kinda glad I didn’t went Cobb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a flexfuel kit from a different company and been problem free since install! Not to mention paying atleast 50% less.

Ultimately, you need the integration into the AP for the ethanol sensor.

After seeing this post, kinda glad I didn’t went Cobb

Flex fuel for the gen 5 ?

Send link here or pm me if its not appropriate to link in this thread.

Ultimately, you need the integration into the AP for the ethanol sensor.

Not sure what your talking about.

But it basically is the same as a Cobb kit, plug and play, Cobb AP reads the ethanol sensor and fuel pressure just like the Cobb would.

Heck, my protuner even said it acts just the same as a Cobb flex fuel.

Car made over 380hp/410tq on E85 with the option to use pump 93 whenever I want.

I should say the kit was well worth every penny spent vs Cobb.

But it basically is the same as a Cobb kit, plug and play, Cobb AP reads the ethanol sensor and fuel pressure just like the Cobb would.

Car made over 380hp/410tq on E85 with the option to use pump 93 whenever I want.

Cobb release the firmware update for the AP to use the fuel pressure and ethanol sensor for free. With out that support, your kit doesn't work. Cobb is likely trying to recoup some of the development costs through the sensor & fuel line hardware. Paying a firmware engineer to development and support a product isn't free.

• 1 year later...

Reviving old thread, any info on that non Cobb Flex Fuel kit?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to attempt to put together a kit via these instructions:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2810122

And run a free Merp mod patch not intended for our cars to get the flex fuel going.

Definitely took a lot of reading etc.

Hope to post more details when done, but basically picking up from where I left of earlier with running an STI rom on the legacy.

https://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14020

Specifically going to run the 2011STi rom (AE5IB00V) . This rom is better suited for manual cars, mines a 5eat which means there's more tinkering required. In Australia the gen V GT had a 5eat option which is what I have to work with.

This route is way more time consuming compared to just going with Cobb, but I enjoy tinkering.

Edited by moral hazard

A word of caution. I know cobb's system runs .5-4.5 volts saving 0 volts and 5 volts for error codes. With an ethanol sensor even a small amount of water in the system can throw of the values by a huge amount. Cobbs flex fuel plus their AP will put you in limp mode if it determines that there might be a problem with the detected ethanol percentage. While you are tinkering it would be a good idea to see if the open source code has anything like this.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The power roadblocks sticky thread mentions it. The non cobb solution is not a kit and it's open source. You will have to do a lot of research and work.

Just saw this.

figured I mention that yes.. non cobb solution can be used for opensource. However, I’m cobb ap protuned with a non cobb flexfuel kit.

Issues with it? Yeah. Not gonna lie.

Did i fix it? I sure did with swapping out the sensor and fuel pressure sensor.

Still cheaper then cobb after fixing it? Yes.

If anybody want to know what kit, what brand parts I used. I can make a thread on it. I have one spare kit that I never used if anyone interested.