LegacyGT.com

Front brake upgrade- '98 Legacy L

I'm looking for better stopping power on '98 Legacy L wagon tan the stock single piston calipers provide. Everybody talks about upgrading the WRX calipers/ brackets & rotors but researching this at different forums brings up more questions than answers.

I'm guessing people like the WRX brakes because the rotors are larger than, say the dual piston caliper setup on the 2nd gen Outbacks/ and Legacy GT's.

What year WRX calipers/ brackets, rotors will directly swap onto my Legacy L? I see references to 2002 or 2003 often, but checking for part #'s at Rock Auto, those two years had different calipers and brackets. Interestingly, the part # for 2003 calipers is the same as on my 2003 Forester and many other models, 2003 and later. Also, the rotors look like the same part #'s as well, so what is unique about the WRX brake components vs. other 2000 and later models?

Presuming the WRX parts do bolt on, do the front brake backing plates/ dust shields also need to be replaced?

Luckily the car now has 16" snowflake wheels, so at least clearance will not be a problem.

Has anyone done this mod on the front brakes (not concerned about upgrading the rear brakes at this point), and exactly what parts were used?

It doesn't matter too much which 2 pots you get (pre 2005), they'll all "work" the same. There are different sizes for different years/makes though.

The WRX are 11.3" if I recall correctly - you can get outback 2 pots from either late 2001 build or 2002+ and they're 12" I think. The gen 1 outback and GT are, as Brighton said, 10.9" as opposed to our 10.2" and dual piston.

WRX/Forester/OB/Leg are plentiful and easy to swap on. Your 16" WRX wheels will clear all of them.

• 5 weeks later...
It doesn't matter too much which 2 pots you get (pre 2005), they'll all "work" the same. There are different sizes for different years/makes though.

The WRX are 11.3" if I recall correctly - you can get outback 2 pots from either late 2001 build or 2002+ and they're 12" I think. The gen 1 outback and GT are, as Brighton said, 10.9" as opposed to our 10.2" and dual piston.

WRX/Forester/OB/Leg are plentiful and easy to swap on. Your 16" WRX wheels will clear all of them.

I'm still debating on whether to go with the 2nd gen Legacy GT 10.9" rotors and calipers or the 11.5" as found on my 2003 Forester. My main question is whether there will be any significance in stopping power between the two? I can get the GT calipers cheaper and have a couple of old calipers I pulled of my GT to trade in as cores if I get these. However if the Forester setup will be more effective, then it would be worth the extra $.

You won't notice any discernible difference - definitely not 10%. Your pad choice will make the most noticeable difference.

Larger calipers with increased fluid capacity with stock master cylinder will also make the brakes feel more "touchy on/off".

You can always trade in your GT calipers as cores for whatever other caliper you desire.

You won't notice any discernible difference - definitely not 10%. Your pad choice will make the most noticeable difference.

Larger calipers with increased fluid capacity with stock master cylinder will also make the brakes feel more "touchy on/off".

You can always trade in your GT calipers as cores for whatever other caliper you desire.

I definitely want a more sensitive pedal (my Forester is quite touchy vs. the Legacy where you comparatively have to stand on the pedal). I'm not sure if the Forester calipers are larger/ larger capacity than the GT calipers or not- I know the rotor size is slightly larger.

I drove the Forester to work today and was glad to have the responsive brake pedal, given the actions of some of the drivers I encountered this morning.

Also, one of there question- are the brake line to caliper fittings all the same for these? I want new flexible lines and was wondering if I order the lines for the Legacy, are the fittings compatible with the Forester calipers.

• 1 month later...
Update- I ended up ordering 2nd gen Forester calipers and rotors. Everything bolted up just fine and I replaced the flexible lines while i had it apart. The brake response and feel is much better. Not as touchy as my 2003 Forester. Went ahead and flushed the brake fluid front and back for good measure as it has been several years.

I went from garbage 1pot to the 2 pots from an outback in our generation. Also did stainless braided flexible lines everywhere and flushed out the fluid. I ran hawk HPS pads all around, huge difference. Pedal feels great.

• 3 weeks later...
i was able to find 2014 wrx front pads and rotors from a friend for free and they bolt right up, i own a 96' legacy wagon with 16" wheels. when i need to replace the front pads and rotors now ill just look for a 2014 wrx, they installed a CTSV brembo upgrade onto their wrx so that too could be an option if you wanna go real big, would probably have to run atleast an 18" wheel for those

• 4 months later...
There's a guy selling adapter brackets to mount zo6 Corvette brembo 6 pots and Cadillac brembos. I like the 2004 legacy gt setup. Just putting the rears on they stop harder than the stock 98 legacy gt fronts. I want to go for the zo6 brakes eventually

After pads get better tires.

Brembos etc are a waste of money on cars that even in turbo form don't have more than 250 hp.

Yes I know the STI and 3.6R does more

If you're not tracking a car, put the money elsewhere.

My 2 cents.

O.