LegacyGT.com

07 LGT Bumpsteer? New rack and pinion

Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone can help me here. I replaced the rack and pinion in my lgt as the old one was leaking about a quart a week. Functionally, it worked perfectly. Wasnt choppy, no bump steer, only that it leaked a TON. I had always kept it topped off and never let it get below min.

Had the shop replace it as I was tired of buying atf all the time. They put a new rack and pinion in and aligned the car and sent me on my way. Everything is fine now, was a bit choppy at first until the air worked its way out of the system. However, I have bump steer. Over bumps at speed the steering wheel wants to turn on its own if im not gripping it.

Never had this problem before, even on the old rack before it was leaking and I had issues. The car is lowered on coilovers which I know can affect this but as I said I never had the issue before.

Took it back to the shop, they're telling me I need the bumpsteer kit for lowered vehicles as this is common when youre lowered. I let them know I never had this issue before (Im barely lowered maybe half an inch all around). They can't seem to find anything wrong with the installation and swear by this kit to eliminate it.

Has anyone experienced this or know what could cause it? Bad alignment or are they right and all the sudden I need this kit to eliminate it??

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Bad alignment. if the toe is way out or way in (but equal to keep the steering wheel and the vehicle tracking straight) you'll get crazy bump steer issues

I asked him for the before and after alignment sheet but he only had the first. 2c326fa2cf6535068cea5f6f902ba810.jpg

Said there is nothing you can do about caster unless you buy the kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whiteline bump steer kit will not correct that caster problem.

The caster is what is causing the issue. The caster is defined as the axis upon which the strut rotates on.

Whiteline DOES make ANTI-LIFT kits. that will adjust the caster to fix your problem. There are 2 ways to do that.

Whiteline does sell caster adjustment kits. Does your coilovers use the OEM tophats? If so you can get ones that replace them that look like this

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/top-hats/whi-kca409-whiteline-com-c-caster-camber-adjusting-strut-mount

If your coils include top hats that you need to use to make the coils work, instead of adjusting the angle of the strut up top, you can adjust the position of the control arm with this Anti lift kit

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/caster-adjustment/whi-kca334-whiteline-anti-lift-kit

Either of these kits will solve the same issue but in different ways. The goal is to change the angle of the strut forward to back. The tophate kit will swing the top of the strut forward or back. The anti-lift kit will push the lower control arm forward or back.