LegacyGT.com

Say no to Grange

The guy told my body shop that he was totaling it out bc he already had a $5k salvage bid for it!!
whether or not the insurance company totals out a vehicle is always a numbers game - it is obviously related to the cost of the repair, but the number they look at is the cost to the insurance company - so it's cost to repair (adjusted to allow for discovery of additional damage) vs. the cost to total minus the salvage value - whichever is cheapest is what they do. Since cosmetic repair (exterior panels, glass, etc.) is expensive, you see lots of cars totalled out when the frame, engine, transmission, etc. are all perfectly fine - just take a look at copart auctions - lots of "wow- they totalled that?" cars on there!

Body parts should be the same 2010-2012.

It’s a totally different hood. And the quarters seem more bulbous? I don’t know maybe some of these guys with ‘12s can say? To me it looks different. That being said I have not seen it in nine weeks!! Hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whether or not the insurance company totals out a vehicle is always a numbers game - it is obviously related to the cost of the repair, but the number they look at is the cost to the insurance company - so it's cost to repair (adjusted to allow for discovery of additional damage) vs. the cost to total minus the salvage value - whichever is cheapest is what they do. Since cosmetic repair (exterior panels, glass, etc.) is expensive, you see lots of cars totalled out when the frame, engine, transmission, etc. are all perfectly fine - just take a look at copart auctions - lots of "wow- they totalled that?" cars on there!

I think what he did that was straddling the line of legal and illegal, is that they are allowed, in Ohio at least, to use tables and comparable etc, but this guy was actively taking bids on my car!?!? Instead of fixing it!! The body shop guy who I just met said he’s been in business for 40 years and he is not sure what this guys was doing is legal? He said Ohio Insurance Commission... and that I needed to call them.

I'd be pretty surprised if it's illegal - the 5th gen Legacy GT is not that common a car, so they could make a pretty strong argument that the tables aren't going to do a good job predicting salvage value - so they went looking to see what a salvage value would be and got some offers. Honoring them before the car was theirs to sell would be illegal, but just receiving them does nothing other than tell them what the salvage value of the vehicle is (it's pretty similar to selling a used vehicle - you can go online to get a general idea, but the reality is that the vehicle is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.)

Insurance companies don't make money by paying claims - they actively work to keep costs down, which is why they will total a vehicle out when it is cheaper for them to take that route - it is related, but not a direct function, of whether the vehicle can be repaired - it's all about if it is cost effective to repair the vehicle.

It’s a totally different hood. And the quarters seem more bulbous? I don’t know maybe some of these guys with ‘12s can say? To me it looks different. That being said I have not seen it in nine weeks!! Hahah

there are very few differences between the '10-'11s and '12s. the major difference is the different wheels, which aren't even actually different just a different color. all body panels are identical. they also offered them in a few different colors in '12 and didn't offer a premium option, limited only. on my home comp i have something that covers every tiny difference but i believe it comes along with the VACATION PICS