LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Timing Chain Rattle

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note I replaced the upper mount since my rubbers were rock hard. Here is a video of me just crunching them away. I suspect these were a part of my noise problem from the front of the car.

The boy

EGTh9R8l.jpg

TmlTr9gl.jpg

The girl

s3AhjFXl.jpg

Y9Ecg0Hl.jpg

Greased up the ball joint while I was in there

ScjA2FAl.jpg

This side was good but the other side was ripped. Tie rods are cheap enough

wO3Fz2Zl.jpg

New wheel bearing

UNgNS8Jl.jpg

xDWetYnl.jpg

Clean up and lube up the axle and hub side. These things like to rust together solid

Sm0ysuHl.jpg

New brake line

JE4okeAl.jpg

I actually ended up flipping the brake line since it kinked funny the way it was

zCqcgiSl.jpg

Take a break to install the new tensioner and idler that came in. Tensioner didn’t say Subaru on it and instead had a Bando label. It was made in Japan so I’m okay with it but I did laugh at the Chinese knock off where the just shaved away the engravings on their product.

yEkvkaQl.jpg

rbBYTOjl.jpg

M1vsU7Yl.jpg

This was sufficient enough to release the tension

LJl88ydl.jpg

Had to grease it up again. Maybe because the new rubber was sticky?

gV5v4R4l.jpg

vmEwK7ol.jpg

YMAOf5Kl.jpg

The reason I have more struts than necessary is I put some “drop in” struts in a pinch a few years back. I had the OEM ones sitting around. The springs on the drop in units were alright but very hard. Notice the quantity of coils between the 2 units. To give the same ride height the cheap ones have to be harder (bigger k factor).

One of our front parking sensors took a rock into it on the highway. I figured now was the time to change it. Plus having the bumper off gave me more room to work with and less worry about “leaning” on it

8EKjgnYl.jpg

jBjuvO5l.jpg

ft6O5Qql.jpg

Ue84avzl.jpg

IKSeoWql.jpg

bud7SVkl.jpg

The sideskirt was also a bit loose on the front. It turns out the closest clip had come out and started to “fold” over. I stuck a pair of pliers in there over night and it was enough to keep it straight until the clip got pushed in.

fGgyOK4l.jpg

Most of my clips on the underside were missing. I ordered new ones

k4pFuEbl.jpg

I sprayed over this part to hopefully keep some rust away

DzX9u7Dl.jpg

Bleed the brakes and drop the car down

Nu2Dbydl.jpg

NJGZm2ml.jpg

Tighten the axle nut and let it run on it’s 4 wheels for the first time

n3RbQ5Nl.jpg

Hose off any bits

HWfIfcbl.jpg

…and done

GZfXNZTl.jpg

Can you tell I like wagons???? S4 is the 6 speed manual (the wife prefers the Subaru)

S06aSNSl.jpg

I love that someone else is putting as much time into their 3.0R as I have. Sadly I went through the whole effort of doing the timing chain and I still have a horrendous rattle while the car is part load at low RPM. Im starting to think it could be the cam adjustment solenoids sticking or an oil pump/pressure issue.

I love that someone else is putting as much time into their 3.0R as I have. Sadly I went through the whole effort of doing the timing chain and I still have a horrendous rattle while the car is part load at low RPM. Im starting to think it could be the cam adjustment solenoids sticking or an oil pump/pressure issue.

i think the cam solenoids would throw up a code as mine sometimes throws up miss fire on 2 4 6 so im guessing the solenoids on mine need a clean

Yeah, I have never gotten a code for misfire but I should probably log the cam position and commanded and see how everything looks. I even changed out the oil pickup tube because I was guessing maybe it cracked like the ej255/7 ones do, but everything looked good.

Yeah, I have never gotten a code for misfire but I should probably log the cam position and commanded and see how everything looks. I even changed out the oil pickup tube because I was guessing maybe it cracked like the ej255/7 ones do, but everything looked good.

Can you post a video of your engine running? Was it similar to my valve tick from the first page?

Our loud valve tick completely disappeared with the new parts. I still can't explain why but at this point "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Ill have to see if i can steal the car for a bit and grab a video. Its a very different sound than yours was and it wasn't consistent. It was a very loud almost knocking sound under part load.

good old long screw driver as a stethoscope will be your weapon of choice