LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Timing Chain Rattle

Here the tensioner is removed

3GxtSYsl.jpg

Now the guides (upper and lower). Note the chain hangs way lower than you’d think it would.

gA5oga0l.jpg

Do the same treatment to the other side then tackle the water pump. Mine was filthy but that middle portion is open to the atmosphere by a hole in the bottom of the block. I suspect they air gapped it in case one of the seals leaks so no oil/coolant would mix.

vfQPkPul.jpg

I had to use the 12 mm bolts to get it out

3sBPbVul.jpg

PmeMs3Kl.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I coated the inner seal in coolant but note sure if you have to. It went in snug.

rnBaiAll.jpg

xsnZznWl.jpg

New pump in

OcIewP4l.jpg

I went full stupid and bought new idler sprockets too. Again, I was just sitting with the parts guy pointing at stuff on the parts diagrams since if I didn’t use the credit given to me then I would lose it.

TSNo6p3l.jpg

New double and single sprockets

NKwMNiKl.jpg

Right side chain on

CUX9g49l.jpg

Match up the crank pulley dot to the gold link

nyzAuIql.jpg

Match up the blue link to the driver side intake cam

7wBYkpxl.jpg

Again blue link to dot for driver side exhaust cam

K9BqPKzl.jpg

Note there is no dot on the idler sprockets so the blue link doesn’t matter on this portion. It only matters when the passenger chain goes on and that both blue links have to be on the same tooth.

Cr44zmFl.jpg

The manual says to get new bolts for these side guides. I suspect it’s only because of the thread lock on them.

JazptQ0l.jpg

If you look closely the guide is starting to form a groove. The tensioner might have enough leeway that it shouldn’t matter but I still replaced mine.

k2HLCKEl.jpg

Lower driver side guide

7uWf1Mcl.jpg

Pivot pin which isn’t actually bolted in. It just kind of floats there although the front cover probably secures it.

AmEXHDml.jpg

In my case the new guides were black and not that brown colour.

2BAEtZel.jpg

Driver side done other than the grenade pin

KRoQszil.jpg

The passenger side chain is on and just make sure the blue links are on the same tooth

0UEXz4Cl.jpg

Passenger intake cam

C1o2s2Bl.jpg

Passenger exhaust cam. Notice that the chain isn’t seated fully into the teeth. I actually didn’t notice this at first and when I pulled the pin on the tensioner I saw the cam “spin” a few degrees. Perhaps this was the cause of my knocking from before???

DqsjOfzl.jpg

Passenger upper guide (long boi)

qI1kchel.jpg

New bolt. It’s the one where the outside cover bolts into

1gZpbUBl.jpg

Overall everything appeared to be in good condition but the guides were all worn out (even moreso on the passenger side).

0PVXqoxl.jpg

Upper guide

pIfSDs3l.jpg

sTPLkSol.jpg

Qapdzfxl.jpg

New “special” bolts again

opdgJj9l.jpg

JtEEl9Nl.jpg

The center guide was the one that looked the worst to me. It showed signs where the chain was “jumping” around. Notice the various angles it shows

zebAkF2l.jpg

LjHU5Dfl.jpg

rGuiiOul.jpg

Bolt it in with the new special bolts and measure the clearance

QheLbUAl.jpg

ygUK1Lol.jpg

Make sure to pet your helper and then pull the pins!

3BgnEYrl.jpg

The old bolts

snhotfvl.jpg

The old parts

a9idx9Bl.jpg

Previously mentioned exhaust cam now with a correctly seated

Hg2BPIBl.jpg

Basically you’re now done. Bolt everything back together. I kept going with some other routine maintenance stuff.

7ZiZVdkl.jpg

kO6uxHDl.jpg

Driver side front is shown on the bottom left

x45PDkql.jpg

Valve cover gaskets

J8VjWZhl.jpg

Some new bolts since I broke others. I can’t believe how badly these stupid 10 mm bolts were stuck in there.

pdgw3gSl.jpg

DCE82iRl.jpg

New spark tubes. I deviated from OEM on this one but I’m perfectly fine with Denso

BMfD6GEl.jpg

I cleaned out the throttle body while the airbox was out. Ignore the typo on the can (it should say Subaru).

MHEdCpgl.jpg

Front face final touch up and new bolts. It turns out I had all of them which was nice

BLcOo8Ll.jpg

PpX0qA6l.jpg

tzLCtuSl.jpg

Notice the flange mating surface is nice and clean

pLARXAyl.jpg

Since the sealant dries and it’s a large piece I had my wife handing me the bolts as I put them on. There are only 3 sizes (plus one that has a washer – see the foreground). I just yelled “30”…then tightened it up. Then I yelled “45”….and tightened it up. Repeat until all million bolts are in. They are torqued to a super low spec.

Nf8Pt07l.jpg

If you’re curious how far your dipstick dips. I know I was

iwNgccql.jpg

esyEBmEl.jpg

lJs8L0cl.jpg

Sealant applied. Don’t forget the middle holes

xoRjjEGl.jpg

New crank pulley seal

m5eXT0ml.jpg

I seriously doubt these straps were doing anything anymore

I9zr3RLl.jpg

mi8oCY2l.jpg

5se2w6rl.jpg

New belt which I later had to take off. Turns out my tensioner had failed even though it was replaced 70k kms ago.

IdvuZ1el.jpg

And that’s basically it. Fill it with coolant. Fill it with oil and start cranking the engine.

In this first video I pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked it 3 times to build oil pressure and to lubricate the chain.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xl15Bz86moM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In this second video is the actual first of the car. 2 weekends worth of work and sweet success!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SRTZsPc60zU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Notice in the video above that the valve tick is all but gone! I’m really happy I didn’t re-shim them. Then I noticed that the accessory belt tensioner shit the bed. Notice it jiggling when the AC loads and unloads it. Dang it…..this set me back a weekend since I had to wait for parts to come in (I wanted OEM).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4fp9C_FvVfI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XJiBa-YJdPg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh well, what can ya do. Onto the brakes which were the actual problem!

And that’s basically it. Fill it with coolant. Fill it with oil and start cranking the engine.

In this first video I pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked it 3 times to build oil pressure and to lubricate the chain.

In this second video is the actual first of the car. 2 weekends worth of work and sweet success!

Notice in the video above that the valve tick is all but gone! I’m really happy I didn’t re-shim them. Then I noticed that the accessory belt tensioner shit the bed. Notice it jiggling when the AC loads and unloads it. Dang it…..this set me back a weekend since I had to wait for parts to come in (I wanted OEM).

Oh well, what can ya do. Onto the brakes which were the actual problem!

Before starting any dirty work we polished up the headlights since they were hazy. It turned out nice.

1000 grit (not the potatoes)

UoYhQrjl.jpg

3000 grit

KlwEUDcl.jpg

Polishing paste

wCojWJ4l.jpg

Final coating

77fy9nBl.jpg

Note the driver side IS NOT dirty. I actually just cleaned it in the picture. It’s just the polishing difference

CYEAsXOl.jpg