LegacyGT.com

Replacing Spark Plugs - Does Brand Matter?

I want to replace all of the plugs on my '98 Legacy with 197K miles. I am getting a CEL Error Code: P0304 and the logical 1st troubleshooting step is the plugs. Looking at the O'Reilly Auto site (there is a store just down the block from my home) there is a wide selection. Is there a big difference between NGK Iridium IX ($6.99) and G-Power Platinum ($3.99) or NGK Copper Core ($2.19)? I need to keep my costs down with this car.

Not in that the car will feel differently to you, just longevity.

NGK V power copper is a great (cheaper) choice; if you need to save that $10 than do so knowing that you're not sacrificing anything really other than your time. You can expect about twice the life from a platinum plug vs copper; a little more (perhaps) for iridium but I have only heard/read that, I've never sprung for them myself and had the experience.

I think he's recommending the NGK over Bosch or Champion or such. I'm pretty sure the NGK copper is what the car was born with.

I've run both platinum and Iridium over the years. I've not had problems with running other brands, but my engine is in pretty top shape for its age. Many, many others have described problems with running American plugs and some with European plugs.

I would go with the NGK coppers in your case. You can spend the same money 30k from now and the two sets will get you the same miles and price as for the Platinums. , but with spending half of the money later.

It depends on the car, certain cars won't run worth a shit with certain brands. IE putting Bosch (German) plugs into an American car will more than likely run like hell. I won't run anything other than Denso or NGK in Asian cars, most of the time that's the OEM brand anyway. Material of the plug also matters (refer to what others have said above)

while we are here, whats typical recommended brand of plug wires aside from subie dealer?

Most any electric component is NGK or Denso supplied as OEM. I've pulled plent of factory parts that still had the brand sticker on them. They're the only things I use if at all possible in regards to plugs, wires, and sensors.