LegacyGT.com

Cracks on the hot side. IHI VF40

My turbocharger went out some time ago and I just got serious about fixing it. So after a week of penetrating oil propane torches and hammering I finally got my turbo separated and I found some problems. I was going to get a replacement cartridge but with the cracks on the waste gate I guess a whole new unit is in order. Any thoughts?

IMG_20190706_144937831.thumb.jpg.a7862c2b1297d8f5df50d8fcbaab2fd2.jpg

1484809955_turbocrack.thumb.jpg.581e4835f0bac77f5b9858fd2ec848da.jpg

Edited by crazyche
pics

We've have had cast iron welded on other turbo in the past. Others have had cracks and just keep running them.

But on a vf40...not sure its worth it.

why is that hot section so moist ? is that oil pr penetrating fluid ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Those cracks affect nothing. They're inherent in the design once the turbo has been run for any length of time. The VF39/43/48/52 also all develop cracks, much worse than those internal cracks on the VF40/46 housings, and they affect nothing.

It's penetrating oil. The turbine shaft split but nothing grenaded it just stopped. I want to go with the replacement cartridge but when I saw the crack I thought I was out of luck.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

I highly recommend you send it off to JmP, in the above post, he is the "go to guy" for having your turbo rebuilt right the first time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Can a mod please merge the three threads created about this into one?

OP, as stated the crack is fine; It is really challenging to find a used VF turbo without the wastegate crack. In the future search first and please only start one thread about your issue.

• 1 year later...
I had a sound like a taser gun ticking loud and sharply at above 4k rpm and no boost. Chased it down to find bad cracks in my wastegate segment of the hot side . Total cost was $80 for a new genuine IHI turbine half plus time