LegacyGT.com

Oil change help

Ok,

I’ve been working on changing my oil for the last couple of weeks.

Today I put a 1/2” breaker bar on the bolt, which was very tight and Walmart blue goop on the bolt. I got the bolt loose, without lifting the car. Health issues keeps me from doing things that I used to do.

Anyway, after getting the bolt out, there was no crush washer on it.

I do have a question though, because space was limited, I could not tell if the crush washer was stuck on the oil pan. It looked to me that after removing the drain bolt, there is a little flange between the drain hole and the pan.

Can anyone please confirm this? I put on a new crush washer and it seemed to do its job.

If there was no washer on the drain plug, and nothing at the bottom of the drain pain, I'd be concerned it was still on the pan. I don't believe there is much of a flange - more of a flat spot - where the drain plug seats. There's some pictures in this post

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4389354&postcount=7

but not with no drain plug installed. I usually find the washer stuck on the drain plug when I change mine. Doubling up washers is sort of a crap shoot - it could seal fine, or it might drip, if that's what happened - just keep an eye on it.

I’m wondering if Walmart didn’t have a washer and painted the whole area with the blue stuff. When I took the bolt out, I had to feel my way around. In my opinion, at first I thought there might be a washer stuck on the pan. After feeling around, it seemed like threads running all the way to the edge of the hole.

There is a bit of a flange but the transition is kind of smooth if memory serves. If you could feel with your finger around the opening with the bolt out I think you would definitely feel the washer if it was there. Ultimately if there is no leak and the bolt is tight you're good to go until the next oil change, if anything chances are it will leak slowly, so there should not be a catastrophic quick loss of oil level. Just keep an eye on the floor or the ground under the car.

Would you consider something like the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve? I have one and it makes oil changes much faster, easier, and less messy.

If you have the FB engine with the oil filter on the top, it makes them almost embarrassingly easy.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VCCUJI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one that I have installed. They also make them with a nipple end so that you can use a small hose to drain the oil more precisely. I believe that would be the F-108S or F-108N.

I have that same valve (no nipple). They are awesome and every car should have one.

I have that same valve (no nipple). They are awesome and every car should have one.

But they don't for some reason. I've been thinking about installing one, but the thought that a piece of road junk may hit it and cause it to open or break it off causing rapid oil loss stops me from doing it. I get it, it is very unlikely especially with the under cover shielding it, but the tried and true threaded steel plug gives me more confidence over a piece of soft brass sticking out an extra inch from my oil pan.

But they don't for some reason. I've been thinking about installing one, but the thought that a piece of road junk may hit it and cause it to open or break it off causing rapid oil loss stops me from doing it. I get it, it is very unlikely especially with the under cover shielding it, but the tried and true threaded steel plug gives me more confidence over a piece of soft brass sticking out an extra inch from my oil pan.

That's a very valid concern, more for some cars than others. I haven't installed one on my girlfriend's Versa because the drain plug is already almost the lowest point on the car, but mine is protected by my Primitive Racing skid plate. Also, looking at the bottom of the GT, it seems like a rock would bash the turbo first before it made it back to the drain valve.

That's a very valid concern, more for some cars than others. I haven't installed one on my girlfriend's Versa because the drain plug is already almost the lowest point on the car, but mine is protected by my Primitive Racing skid plate. Also, looking at the bottom of the GT, it seems like a rock would bash the turbo first before it made it back to the drain valve.

Yup, probably best taken on a case by case basis, and I agree with your GT assessment. Overall unscrewing the plug isn't that big of a deal with the right amount of leverage and a good socket, can be satisfying too :) Frankly I'm more annoyed by the need to fill the empty oil bottles with used oil from the pan and taking them to a recycling place.

On a 5th-gen Legacy, the drain plug is pretty well protected (and with a Fumoto valve, bordering on blocked) by the sway bar, so if you happen to hit something that damages the valve, you'll probably have bigger concerns than a slow oil leak. If brass vs. steel is your concern, there are other quick-drain valves out there, and some of them are steel, so that's still an option.