LegacyGT.com

Words cannot describe the awesome - Vol 5

Flinkly

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mercedes 300SL is the first automobile I ever lusted after, back when I was 12 and a new one cost "only" $10,000. (My dad, with a college degree, was probably making less than $4,000 a year at the time.) The Jaguar XK120 was a distant number two on my "lust list."

Fast forward a decade, and I had an XK120 as my daily driver for one magical summer. In the late 1960s I had a friend (an old grade school classmate) who owned a 300SL, but I never got to drive it or even ride in it. On the other hand, I have had the privilege to drive some truly special cars over the years: a custom-bodied 1934 Packard town car, a 1937 Cord 812SC roadster, a 1956 Ferrari Testa Rossa RHD ex-race car, the 1969 Porsche 911S that was my daily driver for 15 years, and a 1980 Porsche 928 that I owned for 12 years.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

In my pre driving days as a young teen we had a family friend who was a salesman at the MB dealership in Vancouver.....he would show up in the neatest cars from time to time.....got a short ride in a 300 SL when I was about 12 or 13....OOOH!!!!

His best ever salesman story was back then when a customer in Los Angeles wanted a 300 SL and just had to have it...Right now!! Over the phone he bought the one that the local dealership had in stock and wanted it delivered to him in LA ASAP. Our friend did the deal and drove it to LA for delivery (Years later he said he drove it down there "In the manner it was designed to be driven!!") The customer paid for his flight back to Vancouver. :):)

In my pre driving days as a young teen we had a family friend who was a salesman at the MB dealership in Vancouver.....he would show up in the neatest cars from time to time.....got a short ride in a 300 SL when I was about 12 or 13....OOOH!!!!

His best ever salesman story was back then when a customer in Los Angeles wanted a 300 SL and just had to have it...Right now!! Over the phone he bought the one that the local dealership had in stock and wanted it delivered to him in LA ASAP. Our friend did the deal and drove it to LA for delivery (Years later he said he drove it down there "In the manner it was designed to be driven!!") The customer paid for his flight back to Vancouver. :):)

People with money do cool things sometimes. The purchaser surely knew how cool of an experience it would be for the salesman, and for the insignificant cost of a plane ticket he/she gave the guy a cool experience to talk about for the rest of his life. I like to think that if I had that kind of cha-ching I'd do fun stuff like that for people.