LegacyGT.com

how difficult to replace intercooler and hoses?

My 05 Legacy GT has about 145k miles on it. The CEL came on with PO171 codes. Took it to a local shop and they did a smoke test, which showed air leaks in two hoses and the intercooler. Their price to replace hoses and intercooler is about $1,300.00. They only buy parts from Subaru. They are a reputable shop that is known for doing excellent work, but they aren't cheap.

My car is kinda of beat up and has a salvage title. It's got a leaky power steering pump that I've been feeding pump seal into for over a year, plus a couple other small mechanical issues. I can't see putting $1,300.00 into it. My two options are to try to sell it as is, or fix it myself.

I'm a so/so shade tree mechanic, with an open garage and a good supply of tools. If I can get by with about $500 in parts and not too much headache, I'll do the work myself. That's where my question comes in- how difficult is it to R&R the intercooler? Is it time consuming, but straightforward? Does it have 5 or 6 really difficult or complicated steps? Should it take a newbie 2-3 hours or 10-12 hours?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dude, you’re getting ripped off. Any vacuum hose is like $3 a foot max and you can get a used intercooler for $50. Get a second opinion. Doesn’t matter where that hose is, it’s not going to take hours. Go to another shop and have them show you exactly where the smoke is coming from. Take a pic, post it up, and we can probably help you out.

You should be able to do it. Cost and effort will really depend on which “hoses”.

Vacuum hoses, fairly cheap, and generally easier.

If they are talking about the turbo intake, that’s a bit more.

Ask them for a breakdown of parts/labor including exactly which hoses would be included for $1,300... then post that.

Thanks Guys! I'll pick up the car and talk to the mechanic about exactly what needs to be replaced. I just picked up an extra car, so I can take my time working on the subie.

I think I still have my stock intercooler, I'll check later this week if you are interested. On another note, for $1,300 you might as well upgrade to a grimmspeed TMIC or an ETS FMIC like me :hide:

You can replace your as other have said. The biggest PITA is clocking the throttle body hose.

If you plan to keep the car, they are fun to drive when done correctly.

To fix the PITA part is going to cost around $1000 for the GS tmic. That piece is so nice I have two.

DSCN7057.thumb.JPG.b51e4907d672f76eb7aacac035f304d9.JPG

DSCN7059.thumb.JPG.837cc92596ad568c8967724f3b9c6730.JPG

DSCN7060.thumb.JPG.5b8ecabfce7acb03bda9014dd5cc45cb.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You may be able to fix and "bulletproof" your stock TMIC for around $80. Kits are available on eBay. The turbo inlet is a PITA but totally doable with basic tools and other stuff doesn't seem as bad.

Last time I installed the OEM style tmic, I had the turbo loose on the up pipe, I sit the tmic in place, got the TB hose on and lightly snugged the screw clamps, started the bolts in the inlet side on the turbo. Then the support brackets. Then tighten everything, the turbo to up pipe last.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I picked up the Subie from the shop and spoke to the mechanic. I was mistaken about which hoses had to be replaced. The turbo inlet, throttle body hose and turbo drain hose all need to be replaced. The mechanic explained that the intake must be removed to replace onThread Toolse of these- I think it's the turbo inlet -a large hose about 14" long that goes under the intake. He said some people try to do it without removing the intake, but that often results in breaking or cracking the plastic and rubber hoses that attach to the hose.

I took the car home and will be removing the intake to replace these hoses and any other old, swollen or cracked hoses.

If anyone has a good used TMIC with no air leaks, please PM me. I'm near Sacramento, Ca. I looked on ebay for the TMIC "repair kit" the WhiteXc referred to, but can't find it.

I'm more interested in getting this fixed relatively cheap than in upgrading to a better intercooler- I'm saving up now for a new car and plan to sell this one in about a year. I just need to get another 10k miles out of it.

I’m in Modesto which is about an hour away. I just need to use the TMIC this weekend for smog and you can use it after that. Most people recommend replacing the turbo inlet with OEM, it’s a pain to fit anything larger in there but if the shop is doing it for you already then it’s not your problem. OEM and aftermarket will be about the same price anyways.

Replacing it yourself is doable, it’s just a pain dealing with cracked rubber hoses that you’ll have to replace either way. With patience it can be done in 2 hours.

I picked up the Subie from the shop and spoke to the mechanic. I was mistaken about which hoses had to be replaced. The turbo inlet, throttle body hose and turbo drain hose all need to be replaced. The mechanic explained that the intake must be removed to replace onThread Toolse of these- I think it's the turbo inlet -a large hose about 14" long that goes under the intake. He said some people try to do it without removing the intake, but that often results in breaking or cracking the plastic and rubber hoses that attach to the hose.

I took the car home and will be removing the intake to replace these hoses and any other old, swollen or cracked hoses.

If anyone has a good used TMIC with no air leaks, please PM me. I'm near Sacramento, Ca. I looked on ebay for the TMIC "repair kit" the WhiteXc referred to, but can't find it.

I'm more interested in getting this fixed relatively cheap than in upgrading to a better intercooler- I'm saving up now for a new car and plan to sell this one in about a year. I just need to get another 10k miles out of it.

I think its best to remove/lift the intake by removing the TGV's at the heads. That should give you enough space to lift it enough without totally removing it to slide the inlet hose under the manifold.

The fuel lines are bolted to the intake, so its easier to remove the bolts holding the TGV's to the heads. I think you have enough room to put new seals in there too.