LegacyGT.com

Project Phoenix: 05 Wagon Restoration

No real updates, but it looks like I will be pulling the transmission again to see what's wrong. Was out of the state for a couple weeks, and couldn't look into things further, but now that i'm back and have had a chance to investigate, there's nothing I'm going to be able to fix without pulling it to see what's wrong. May start that this weekend.

Still haven't driven the car since middle of July.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been lacking on the updates lately with the obligatory busy holidays and work schedule. Still trying to hunt down the phantom rattle coming from the transmission in neutral and really haven't driven the car out of the driveway since July. It's just going to sit this winter. Come spring I'll get it aligned, test drive it, and decide if I'm going to just live with the noise or tear the thing apart for a third time.

Since we're not touching the drivetrain this winter, I've moved on to shoring up the interior. Over the Christmas holiday I installed a set of Recaro Evo X sport seats with planted technology adapters. The goal is to get these to work with the factory system flawlessly, but as I have an 05, that will obviously be complicated. It's a work in progress and I haven't decided if I like them enough to keep.

IMG_4473-1.thumb.jpg.19fbc965606812e37137815f334c23c5.jpg

IMG_4474-1.thumb.jpg.62bc55e386558051b9433c25abeb92d9.jpg

IMG_4477-1.thumb.jpg.9d816d00e59ceef7686606c007ee927b.jpg

1-22-21.PNG.6433e8f2b0d7db2a51b6eb4c231fe983.PNG

Very nice! Are they all suede/alcantara?

Yes. I would have preferred the leather, but this was all I could find in good shape at the time.

And I'll thank you for the most helpful of write ups! Made the retrofit nice and easy, minus all the 05 passenger seat bullcrap. Hopefully I can figure that out.

Yeah, the alcantara looks great but definitely a pain to keep clean. The suede inserts in my seats show every bit of water as a stain! Cleans up easy but not ideal with PNW weather hah.

I was definitely lucky to be dealing with a 2006. Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll try to help where I can.

Edited by Neal Cassady

2006 Legacy GT Wagon - Regamasters, Evo X Recaros, STI 6MT, Brembo 6-Pots (in progress)

@regashiii

Is that third picture in post 181 the passenger detection sensors? There has a got to be a way to fool the car without those four dangling bits.

Yep; 4 strain gauges essentially. Currently they're worm clamped to simulate a load, but the air bag light is on. Not surprising, because this harness still has a few things not plugged into the new seat (because those plugs don't exist). I need to borrow/buy/find scanning software to pull the airbag codes so I can figure out what's upset. Once I get everything happy and the airbag light off, I'll worry about deleting things.

Hey so, the seats require a few things.

Driver:

-05 buckle (because of the harness plug, nothing special about the buckle itself)

-position sensor

Pass:

-4 strain gauges (simulated or clamped)

-05 buckle (again because of the plug)

-occupant detection module

I am working on an inverting circuit to make 06+ seats detection sensor work with the 05 occupant detection module that is under the passenger seat. I can also look into a voltage division circuit for aftermarket seats like yours. Don't count on me being, as other projects loom on my car haha.

For reading and clearing airbag codes, I have this here and worked great during my trouble shooting of the same project.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Haha I totally get it; too many projects. Pretty sure the driver's side is set; got all of that handled, no spare plugs (save for the heated/power seats). The passenger side has the gauges clamped, the 05 seat belt and the occupant module plugged in, but the octopus mess of the wiring harness that connects it all definitively has additional plugs that aren't connected. I haven't looked too hard into them yet, but I assume they're important.

IMG_2646.thumb.jpg.e1ba67179b6850c40ad8fc78498921b7.jpg

Edited by Chocoholic005

So I know that there is another little box (not sure what it is for) that was also under my passenger seat that I had to transfer over. Airbag light could also be from the lack of airbags. The OE seats have airbags in the side bolsters. I believe a resister (2.2 or 3 ohm 1/4 watt might work). Resetting the airbag light can be done via disconnect battery ( I think) or with the scan tool I linked earlier. If I remember what what the other plugs go to I will let you know

Steering Rack Rebuild

Airbag light could also be from the lack of airbags. The OE seats have airbags in the side bolsters.

But the recaros have airbags as well in the side bolsters. Now they may not be compatible... but I have a feeling they are. Most airbags run off of the same base wiring design.

Yeah unfortunately it’s difficult to confirm without testing them in an accident (or some sort of lab setting with the squib in a protective box), but someone had done research comparing the start up signal/reference voltage on the Evo X to a Subaru WRX and they were very close.

2006 Legacy GT Wagon - Regamasters, Evo X Recaros, STI 6MT, Brembo 6-Pots (in progress)

@regashiii

ok i was unaware that the new seats have the side bolster airbags as well. Yeah then i'd say the code reader I linked might be needed. It can read and clear SRS codes. If we lived closer together I'd lend you mine haha.

Steering Rack Rebuild