LegacyGT.com

Replaced Rear Wheel Bearings at 75k

I love that people expect cars to be toasters. I DID have one wheel bearing fail, a victim of DC potholes. My 40 year old FIAT and other cars got wheel bearings at LEAST every 25K.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

I love that people expect cars to be toasters. I DID have one wheel bearing fail, a victim of DC potholes. My 40 year old FIAT and other cars got wheel bearings at LEAST every 25K.

Of the ~10 cars I've owned, many with > 100k, I've never had to replace a wheel bearings except on that Outback. Subaru's wheel bearing failure rate is above the norm (and your old Fiat isn't the norm, either).

Throwout bearings should last the life of the clutch, i.e. 100-150k, not 5-30k.

Of the ~10 cars I've owned, many with > 100k, I've never had to replace a wheel bearings except on that Outback. Subaru's wheel bearing failure rate is above the norm (and your old Fiat isn't the norm, either).

Throwout bearings should last the life of the clutch, i.e. 100-150k, not 5-30k.

Exactly same here. my 2000 Passat went 401K never needing wheel bearings. Unless there is a defect in the bearing or spindle, I dont think sealed bearing should ever need to be changed unless there are extenuating circumstances.

• 1 year later...
What are you guys paying to change your rears wheel bearings? I was quoted $735 for the rear driver side!

That's friggin insane.. MSRP on the bearing is $250, assume a small markup, let's say $275.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2015_Legacy-25L-CVT-4WD-Sedan/Wheel-Bearing-and-Hub-Hub-Unit-Complete-R/72771686/28473XC00A.html

I don't know what subaru dealerships are charging for labor these days, $120/hr? Also not sure what book time is, random guess 2 hours? 240+275=$515ish (ish because of shop fees and that nonsense)

Anyway... I'm basically just replying to say I'd contact some independent shops for a quote before paying that much.

I just had to replace both my rear wheel bearings on my 15. I am mostly putting this up here to let people know but, what do you guys think of this? This seems a little premature and I would expect at least 100k.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hello Sir, do you have aftermarket wheels?

I can bet you do.

And your offset is far from 55mm

if you continue using those wheels you will become expert in wheel bearing changes.

Imagine you have deep dish rims and the tires are sticking out by 1/2" now imagine you park your car on the sidewalk curb and only have 1" of the wheel or less on the curb the rest is in the air. Nothing wrong but if you know little physics you will understand it how much stress you are putting on your bearings.

Sorry I just realized someone bumped this post and I replied I did not check the date.

Edited by aki334

Hello Sir, do you have aftermarket wheels?

I can bet you do.

And your offset is far from 55mm

Amen. Add to that list: oversize and/or specialty tires; (Outback only) raised/lowered suspension. I wish there were some way to track that information with respect to Legacy and Outback wheel bearing replacements.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Amen. Add to that list: oversize and/or specialty tires; (Outback only) raised/lowered suspension. I wish there were some way to track that information with respect to Legacy and Outback wheel bearing replacements.

lol at last we agree on something :)