LegacyGT.com

Rear seat child restraint anchors

Hello all,

Just wanted to make everyone aware that there is a serious design flaw on the 2 outermost rear seat anchors.

Because of the way the seat mounts onto the car frame the anchors cannot be accessed near the doors.

How could subaru have missed this one. My dealer said the car really is not meant or intended to carry kids around WTF

I know on the outback XT there is a different design that works great.

I checked several other cars at the dealer and all have the same defect.

I called soa and they said sol

Patrick:icon_surp

My dealer said the car really is not meant or intended to carry kids around WTF
I can't believe they even made that statement. That's insane! Two of the safety features they list online are: "Rear child safety door locks" and "LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)" Why would you put those features in if the car is not meant for children to ride in?

I know on the outback XT there is a different design that works great. I checked several other cars at the dealer and all have the same defect.
Is it a wagon vs sedan design issue? Did you check Legacy wagons to see if they also have this problem? If I understand what you're describing there is maybe more side bolstering in the sedan and that keeps the outside edge seat anchors from reaching the mounting point, right? Without redesigning the seat or moving the anchor point there's probably not much that can be done.

Since this is a child safety issue though I bet you could press the issue with the proper goverment agency (which I can't think of right now, DoT?). I'm sure they would lean on Subaru pretty hard for a problem like this, I don't think they look kindly on child safety defects.

must be a sedan thing, I've got 2 kids in car seats, one now in a booster. But both seats were anchored down using the teathers and the overhead teather. I don't think superman could move my seats. and I didn't have to do any modifications to the belts to get them tight.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Your right.

you can flip them around but you loose leverage when tighting the strap from the clip.

The outback seat design in a gt form is the solution.

take you car to the fire station. have them help you!

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

must be a sedan thing, I've got 2 kids in car seats, one now in a booster. But both seats were anchored down using the teathers and the overhead teather. I don't think superman could move my seats. and I didn't have to do any modifications to the belts to get them tight.

+1

My kid's baby seat feels like it's welded into the car. anchored on either side of the seat, and the snazzy overhead tether to the back of the wagon ensure a great safe situation.

Maybe the sedan is different? Am I missing something? Yet another great reason to buy the wagon?

Archived