LegacyGT.com

Denver/CO popo

Subastew

Alrighty, well let me start off by saying I don't want this to turn into a cop bashing thread, because I respect law enforcement officers. That being said, my experience here in Denver has not been great with them. I'm from TX and I find the cops there are more upbeat about their jobs. Here's my story.

Sunday morning about 4am I was coming home from the Springs and just as the speed drops from 65mph to 55mph I get pulled over. I'm speeding and I know it, because my attention was elsewhere since no one was on the road and it was so late/early. I pull off at the next exit which is 1/4 mile, put it in park, turn the car off, and wait patiently for the officer to come up to the window. He comes up with his radar gun and yells "That's your speed!" (it says 79mph) I apologize. He then yells again "Why didn't you pull over sooner! We've been driving for over half a mile?!" I said I didn't want to pull over on the hwy for safety reasons (drunks and what not meandering home) and it was the next exit. He keeps yelling and telling me "that's a police car and people will go around us." I am extremely tired and just want my ticket to be on my way. I say that I'm not going to argue and apologize again. In short, I think he was having a bad morning in the 28 degree weather.

I don't hold this against police officers here. However, I would like to hear some positive stories to give me a more optimistic outlook for my future here. Any stories?

ive lived in fort collins for almost 4.5 years, ever since i started college @ csu. ive gotten 4 speeding tickets in that time in colorado, 3 in my explorer and 1 in my legacy that ive had for 2 months. ive never been pulled over here at recieved a warning, got a ticket everytime. i cant really be mad since i was indeed speeding but i wish i coulda gotten a warning atleast once. the cops were always nice though.

I've recieved 1 warning...but mostly I recieved tickets in my experience with police officiers.

Well except on another occasion where 1 police officier backed into my legacy...not a good day...and the bastards have yet to repay me unless my insurance company is witholding it from me.

On another occasion, this was with CA police, the officier yelled at me for pulling off on the side of the highway(wasn't very happy with me afterward) instead of going to the nearest exit, which is different in CO, where I see that we are always pulled off on the side of the highway. Aside from that when I start to drive to get off the highway and I'm on the service side of the road and the cop drives on the side/back of me and I find theres remnents of a tire on the road and try to dodge it by braking...cop wasn't very happy with thatand blamed me for almost hitting him, but he should'nt have been driving that close to me.

Long and short I have no respect for them.

On another occasion, this was with CA police, the officier yelled at me for pulling off on the side of the highway(wasn't very happy with me afterward) instead of going to the nearest exit, which is different in CO, where I see that we are always pulled off on the side of the highway.

Yeah, I've always been under the impression that it was safer to pull off the hwy. I guess they do things differently here.

Well if you really want to know some of my stories.....

Last 2 Sundays ago (November 6th) I got had to deal with the cops 3 times.

Like every Sunday night I went to the meet off Alameda & Wadsworth and the cops happened to show up. They said they could hear us hanging out 4 blocks away and we had to leave. Well we hang out in a parking lot of a Wendy's where we know the night manager and she allows us to be there. So the manager came out and told to police to screw off cuz we are allowed to be there. Then the cops said we could either leave without issues this week and they won't hastle us the following weeks as long as we don't do anything illegal OR we can stay and they will start giving out tickets for every possible infraction they can think of. Of course we all left =/

After we left some buddies and I decided to go to IHOP off or Arapahoe and I-25. When leaving there I got pulled over on Arapahoe road by Centennial Airport for "illegal window tint." The cop took my license and registration and about a minute later came back and told me he was going to let me off. He said he doesn't have a light meter so he can't really test. Then I started picking his brain about tint laws (which he didnt know) then admitted that his wife has an illegal window tint on her car.

After I got home and dropped my friend off I thought I would go to Taco Bell and get one of those Caramel Apple Empanadas because they are delicious. On my way out I was not even up to speed (38 mph in a 40 mph) when my radar detector went off and I saw the cop sitting in a little ditch. Of course he pulled me over and came up to me and asked if I knew why he pulled me over and I had no idea so he said that he clocked me going 47 in the 40 mph zone. I knew that was complete crap so I told him there was no way 38 becuase when my radar detector went off I was only going that fast. So I asked him to see his gun which he said "I didn't lock your speed in so I cannot give you a ticket but I just wanted to let you to do the speed limit around here. Drive safe son."

Then I got my empanada and it was delicious!

2002 Subaru Legacy L (Retired)

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT

i too have many stories from multiple speeding tix, but this is the first one in the legacy so here goes:

going westbound on i-70 on the way to vegas about six in the morning, at the bottom of vail pass just entering town i saw the cop and slammed on my brakes and then heard the 8500 go off. the cop pulled out then came to pull me over, he asked how fast i was going (which was about 85-90), i said "i dont know, how fast was i going?". "i clocked you doing 74 in a 65"-- thank god!! he let me off with a warning, i think he just wanted to check out the new car.:icon_bigg

Sometimes cops just don't make much sense!

This is why I send the tickets to the law firm & let THEM deal with it!

9/10 times.... it's dismissed!

I LOVE having legal representation! It's so..... choice!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

I try to remember that cops are people too, and can definitely have bad days. But yeah I know how you felt about being yelled at by a cop. That really suks.

I'm a big believer in pulling over IMMEDIATELY once I know I've been tagged by radar. The cop doesn't have to bust his ass to catch up. They seem to REALLY appreciate it.

I only say this because 2 times in my life I pulled over right away, where the cop only had to travel a few hundred feet to get to my position. Both times the cops thanked me for pulling over so fast. I basically said that I knew I was speeding and I'm sorry. Both cops were very pleasant and calm and let me off with just a warning.

Also- my Valentine1 radar detector has been amazing...since I bought it like 10 years ago I have only gotten 2 speeding tickets (I almost always am driving over the limit) Once it was turned off, the other time it was laser gun which my older V1 can't handle. They are definitely worth looking into if you want to protect yourself...

I'm a big believer in pulling over IMMEDIATELY once I know I've been tagged by radar. The cop doesn't have to bust his ass to catch up. They seem to REALLY appreciate it.

I only say this because 2 times in my life I pulled over right away, where the cop only had to travel a few hundred feet to get to my position. Both times the cops thanked me for pulling over so fast. I basically said that I knew I was speeding and I'm sorry. Both cops were very pleasant and calm and let me off with just a warning.

This is the exact situation which resulted in two warnings for me, too, instead of hefty fines.

Both times were on windy mountain highways and the cops were going in the opposite direction. As soon as I saw their lights go on as they sped past, I pulled over and waited for them turn around and catch up to me. A courteous, apologetic attitude followed and then I was let on my way. Seemed to work out fine.

Well, I got tagged on Friday on the way home from work. An un-marked silver Intrepid with dark tint.

On 6th heading west...I got frustrated with the idiot in front of me in the left lane driving 15 mph for 5 blocks...So, When I got the chance I grabbed 2nd and blew past him, along with about 6 cars that were doing the limit in the right lane...Turns out the 2nd to last car in the right lane that I passed was a cop...He pulled out behind me and immediately hit the cherries. Talk about having that sinking feeling in your stomach....

He walked up to the window and just said "Wow! ...You passed me so fast I didn't have time to get you on radar" I knew I was so nailed...I just apologized. He was cool about it, didn't give me an attitude at all. He wrote me for "careless driving" and said that I can prolly get off if I go to court.

He sat in his car while he was writing me up and hit me with his radar gun a few times in succession (My V1 went off each time) He came up to the window and said he was playing with my radar but he thinks he would have got me if he had the chance...

I didn't argue, but I know from experience that my V1 would of had him WAY before he had me...

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I got tagged on Friday on the way home from work. An un-marked silver Intrepid with dark tint.

:icon_evilI hate that guy! I was going down 225 at like 75 mph... saw him on the side of the road... Figured it was just another broken down old Dodge....... 5 miles later he was right behind me... and not happy about the "chase"... other times I pull over before they even get the lights on, they still ticket me... I never get away free... I once got pulled over for something, being suspecious and he told me the laundry list he was gonna write me up for, but then he gave me a "no front plate" ticket... but I got it thrown out:icon_tong

Archived