LegacyGT.com

Review of BNR 16g EVO paired with BNR's oil feed line kit and a tune

Hello fellow Legs,

It has been a little over 5,000 miles since I installed the BNR setup and I figured I would give my $.02 on the experience.

For starters, the reason I chose to go with a BNR 16g was due to my frustration with having gone through two VF-40 turbos in the matter of two years. Since the install, I have noticed improved highway fuel economy, and extremely poor fuel economy (probably partially due to me becoming a race car driver when I hit the back roads on my commute :lol:) everywhere else. I had Sabrina (her name ;)) tuned in the past couple months by Stoneperformance, which has significantly improved the fuel economy in town. The tune came with two maps, one active when you shift her into drive, and the other activated when shifted into sport mode. The tune paired with the 16g has made Sabrina leaps and bounds more fun as boost builds lower on the tachometer, and doesn't stop screaming till red line (when in sport mode). The power is much more manageable in town on a daily driving as in normal driving mode boost doesn't build until about 3750 rpms. Before and after the install of the 16g is a night and day difference in every way.

Overall the experience of purchasing the turbo and buying the oil feed line kit from BNR was seamless. The build quality of the turbo along with the

oil feed line gives me piece of mind when combined with my religious oil change schedule. Between the added performance benefits of a 16g (with a proper tune) and the added reliability, I would highly recommend purchasing a 16g from BNR, and saving yourself from the headache of a VF-40.

Sabrina's Mods:

Enkei RPF1 Copy Cat Wheels

BNR 16g Turbo

BNR Oil Feed Line

Catless Up-Pipe

EGR Delete (ECM made happy with a resistor)

Stoneperformance Tune

If you have any questions and or comments please drop them below :)

I've had similar experiences with the 16G (also have catless uppipe and downpipe, and a processwest intercooler clone). Great for all around use, better highway mileage, worse city mileage. Highway I get 27-28 on long stretches and city is anywhere from 14-17. I don't have any numbers but boost builds real low, I feel it picking up at 2500 and it's all there by 3200-3500. Personally I got their oil feed line and ran it a while but I didn't like the fact that I had to run a long oil line next the exhaust manifold using a sandwich plate, and one day I noticed the line leaking and tightened up the fitting on the end of the line instead of where the filter meets the fitting. Needless to say that broke the line from over tightening so I went back to stock without any filter which is cleaner and safer imo. If I was to do it again I would tap the oil line off the oil pressure sensor rather than the sandwich plate that they recommended. The filter isn't bad but it kinda reintroduces the problem of oil starvation from flecks and when I took mine out from aforementioned tightening ****-up it was half covered in glitter. I'd almost prefer increased wear on the turbo and no chance of oil starvation than getting lazy / forgetting to clean the filter and blowing a turbo and subsequently engine up.

That being said it's been 10k miles and everything is great, love my car and I think I've finally fixed all the wear and tear stuff the previous owners neglected. This car has basically been a lemon with the amount of stuff I've had to replace but I got it for super cheap and I do all the work myself so I figure I'm still out on top, especially considering how fun it is to drive.

So you guys like the 16g, I'm in the market for a new turbo as I feel the vf40 going - was going to do the vf52 with billet wheel and supporting adapters but started looking into the 16g, I'm trying to make comparable power of a bmw 4 series 435/440i, didn't know which turbo could produce that..

So you guys like the 16g, I'm in the market for a new turbo as I feel the vf40 going - was going to do the vf52 with billet wheel and supporting adapters but started looking into the 16g, I'm trying to make comparable power of a bmw 4 series 435/440i, didn't know which turbo could produce that..

With supporting fuel mods, there are plenty of people that have made 325whp and similar torque with a 16g. I probably make 20 crank horsepower more with my tune and 16g.

See my sig to the left for 16G numbers (with proper fueling of course) this is on a Mustang Dyno which is known to be a heart breaker. Mine was built by JMP however, billet wheel and Iconel spindle.

See my sig to the left for 16G numbers (with proper fueling of course) this is on a Mustang Dyno which is known to be a heart breaker. Mine was built by JMP however, billet wheel and Iconel spindle.

I hope to one day crank out numbers close to yours. As I have an 5eat, I have a lot of other expenses I have to consider for the transmission.

Same here, got a 5EAT. I think a tranny cooler and VB mod should be sufficient enough no? I saw Level 10 has a rebuild package as well.

I hope to one day crank out numbers close to yours. As I have an 5eat, I have a lot of other expenses I have to consider for the transmission.

Archived