LegacyGT.com

Navigation and PTT Volume Issues

Greetings everyone.

I recently purchased a preowned 2018 Legacy 3.6R and have been having issues with this audio system. I have tried every volume adjustment i can think of, but whenever i use the steering wheel control for the voice prompt to call or navigate, the volume is EXTREMELY low. I literally have to turn it up to 30-34 for it to be heard. It's almost like it's only coming out of one of front speakers and nothing else. This is also the same for navigation. The prompts are equally low, and barely audible.

Everything else is fine. The radio,which i cannot figure out how to turn "off", is great at level 12-14. Same with XM, or Carplay, the volume is OK.

I've tinkered with the myriad of volume adjustments and nothing seems to be working! My wife thinks i'm losing it, but she hasn't had to deal with this yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Had the tech look at it. He said he had never seen something like this before and thinks it’s the amplifier. I questioned this because why would the radio/CarPlay be fine, but not the nav or push to talk button for voice controls. He said if that doesn’t solve they will try a new head unit. I’m a betting man and wager this will eventually end with me getting a new head unit.

I've been plagued with similar issues on my iPhone 6+ and X version for 2+ years. I believe it is iOS issues as things always change dependent of the iOS version and apps installed on the phone. In my last Outback i was having mic issues where my connection sounded like extreme static or distant and then it would randomly start working. I'd constantly re-pair the phone and it would work for a couple of days and then stop working again. This is all after the iOS 11.0.2 update a couple years ago and all updates after never fully fixed the issue. In Cadillac's it would be fine. In 2018 Volvo S90's I would sound distant and it would be hard to hear voice prompts and callers. I just rented a 2019 Mercedes E300 and mic levels were initially fine and then I'd call out other times and i could barely hear the voice prompts and callers. I don't think this is the car system. Just crappy iOS.

It’s definitely not iOS related, since CarPlay is perfect. This is a push to talk button and nav volume issue. If I don’t have my phone in the car, it’s the same. If I use the Subaru in dash nav- the volume is super low- have to turn it to over 26 to hear it and it sounds like it’s coming through a pillow. If I push the PTT button to bring up any commas, like make a call or change HVAC settings, it’s the same super low volume. If it says “please say a command” you cannot hear it. The radio is fine though and so are calls over Bluetooth. I just cannot hear commands is the nav.

What about trying to press the "Command" button and when it is talking hit the + on the Volume control on the steering wheel? That could address Voice control gain / mic gain.

That’s the issue- the command button or PTT in other cars. I have to turn it to way beyond 26-34 to hear is and it almost sounds like it comes out of only one speaker. If you say a command, and it’s verifying what you said or she says anything else, I have to jack up the volume while she’s talking to hear her. The tech said this is not normal and he verified this himself while in the car with me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
do you do a hard reset on the system?

Yes, the tech did it right in front of me, which did not solve it. I’m due for June 11th for the installation of the new radio. I really hope it helps. One of the reasons I picked this vehicle was the Bluetooth commands and the integrated nav.

• 2 weeks later...
Final update for all: new radio fixed all my sound and volume issues. Come to find out that equalizer was broken too, according to the tech so just as well I had it replaced.

Well done, I'm glad it worked out. On following your posts on this problem I admired your calm perseverance, and the fact that you didn't just rant and hate... which nobody benefits from.

Well done, I'm glad it worked out. On following your posts on this problem I admired your calm perseverance, and the fact that you didn't just rant and hate... which nobody benefits from.

Thanks, I really love this car and glad it's fixed. I went from a Saab Turbo X to this, so i had to make some sacrifices, but it was worth it in the end.