LegacyGT.com

Worrying suspension creak

Ever since I purchased my Legacy 3.6R at 125,000 miles I was unhappy with the suspension and noises it made. About a year ago I started making it better by installing the Koni inserts, RCE springs, new top hats, 26mm sway bars and new end links. The suspension is still very noisy, knocking & squeaking, and doesn't feel solid at all. I checked the ball joints and control arm bushings and everything seems solid. No play on CV joints and engine mounts look fine. Does anyone have more suggestions?

Recently, today I started hearing a significant creak while accelerating and braking. Suspension feels worse than ever. Maybe the suspension is okay but something wrong with the body.

Or maybe the Koni insert is affecting this. Maybe the bottom bolt came loose but I did that install by the book.

It shouldn't be making noises. You may want to check the front LCA to see if the rear pancake bushing is broken.

Thanks, I will check it and take a picture. But still concerned about the creaking sound.

Pretty much the only things to check are the bushings and ball joints.

Yeah as mentioned the rear pancake is a common failure point.

Did you install the struts and swaybars yourself? Any busted parts would have been easy to check during the install.

my money is on the pancake bushing in the FLCA's as well. they are much too easy to rip, my car only has 93k and i need them too. don't bother looking for the bushing on its own if that does turn out to be your issue, its hard to find and almost as expensive as new arms with 2 new bushings already installed.

^yeah, replaced pancakes at less than 30k miles.

Mevotech arms are good from what I hear? Or maybe the various offset bushings for more caster if you are looking to improve things in that area. More NVH though as those are usually poly.

I was looking at replacing the pancake bushing for this:

SuperPro Front LCA Standard Alignment Bushing Kit Part # SPF4863K

http://cygnusperformance.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=2021&category_id=728

Supposedly it fits 5th gens fine.

Yeah the pancake bushing looks pretty bad. I honestly thought it was fine last time I checked it.

I am probably going to buy some new control arms (mine have a lot of rust on them) and replace the bushing with this.

I will look into Mevotechs. I am just sick and tired of how the suspension feels and I just want to finally do it right.

Edit: Looking at them now. They look very nice. Are the bushings that come with them good?

I was looking at replacing the pancake bushing for this:

SuperPro Front LCA Standard Alignment Bushing Kit Part # SPF4863K

http://cygnusperformance.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=2021&category_id=728

Supposedly it fits 5th gens fine.

Yeah the pancake bushing looks pretty bad. I honestly thought it was fine last time I checked it.

I am probably going to buy some new control arms (mine have a lot of rust on them) and replace the bushing with this.

those are the front bushing on the FLCA the pancake bushing is the rear bushing on the FLCA, and you don't want to go poly on the pancake unless its going to be a track car. it would make the suspension way too harsh and vibraty, and loud.

I will look into Mevotechs. I am just sick and tired of how the suspension feels and I just want to finally do it right.

Edit: Looking at them now. They look very nice. Are the bushings that come with them good?

i don't have experience with them yet, tho i did just order a set, but from what i've heard the bushing is OEM quality but slightly stiffer because it doesn't have the reliefs in the bushing the stocker has.

I second what ripstik said.

If you're around greater Detroit, feel free to come take a look at mine and feel how the car drives.

Thanks for the offer. I would love to come check out your car. But I don't have much time with work and school. Maybe some time during the summer when things get less crazy for me.

Archived