LegacyGT.com

Power Steering & Brake fluid

I was going to change the power Steering and brake fluids.

Sorry if this question was asked before, but if I can get some recommendations on what to buy? The vehicle is a 2014 Legacy.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Power steering fluid spec is Dexron III, I put in Redline D6, which is Dexron VI spec. Fully synthetic and backwards compatible with Dex III.

Brake fluid I've done it a few times, I have Motul RBF600 currently and ATE SL previous to that. Not noticed a difference between them but I've only ever done spirited street driving at the most.

Brake fluid I went ATE TYP 200. It's a 1L can so you can get all the fluid replaced including the clutch, if you have one.

For power steering it seems that the Castrol full synthetic is the go to recommendation on the boards here. I found Castrol Transmax #06519 to be the full synthetic formula that's dexron approved. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here

Subaru 1st recommendation for power steering fluid is Subaru HP ATF. The alternative is Dextron III. For a daily driver especially a 2.5i, any fresh DOT3 or DOT4 fluid will do.

Pretty much this, everything posted will be a variation of this.

Subaru 1st recommendation for power steering fluid is Subaru HP ATF. The alternative is Dextron III. For a daily driver especially a 2.5i, any fresh DOT3 or DOT4 fluid will do.

Pretty much this, everything posted will be a variation of this.

brake fluid and ATF are not the same. the brake fluid won't handle all the shear of being whipped through the power steering pump. IDK why you would want to use DOT 3 or 4 since its not even cheaper than ATF. you can use any old ATF, at this point they will all be dexIII or better just got some bond auto stuff last night to flush my powersteering fluid...$6/quart

Archived