LegacyGT.com

HELP! Can't get caliper all the way back in!!!!

Doing rear brakes. Caliper only retracted 3/4 of what it should. Anyone know what this means? Should I add more force to get it in. I'm using the correct tool as well.. it's freezing outside and I need to get this done. Any advice is appeciated...

You don't say what "correct tool" you're using, but you need to rotate the rear caliper pistons to retract them properly. You can damage things if you try just pressing them straight back in like you do for the front calipers. Using "more force" usually only makes things worse.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Thank you for the replies. I used #7 attachment from the caliper tool I have. It was noticeable that it had bottomed out from turning clockwise. I was stumped because I had gone so far, procrastination on my part that NO pad material was left. From searching online others had noted after turning it was sometimes needed to press it the rest of the way in. Which proved to be corrected. After completing the job I do have to say it was the easiest brake job I've ever done. I just over reacted to each step along the way. So point being, after turning the piston in, it does need to be pressed the rest of the way.

Archived