LegacyGT.com

Invidia Q300 on USDM Wagon

Looking for suggestions on how to handle the exhaust tips on the wagon to avoid the bumper melting. Currently have 2 extended hangars on the rear to lower it a bit.

After painting the bumper, I think I've changed my mind on the JDM aluminum finishers and don't want that look although could always them paint black to tone them down a bit. I like option 2 but not sure if I'll be able to find a decent looking tip that stays very close in size from the inlet & outlet diameter that wouldn't be too large for the bumper cut-out.

Options:

1. JDM aluminum exhaust finishers

2. Bolt on muffler tip extensions

3. Cut existing and weld on longer tips

4. Custom cut some aluminum and shape to bottom of the bumper cut-out and rivet in.

imagejpeg_0.thumb.jpg.4adeac0457dc88cde7b48d99c56092ef.jpg

Honestly, just send it.

I haven't had any issues and I've been running this exhaust for almost two years now. I did however put reflect-a-gold on the inside part of the bumper that surrounds the tips as a precaution. I don't really know how much insulation that provides but I guess the extra layer is better than nothing. Besides, they're pitch black now anyways.

I'm using 35mm Rallitek hangers and I have perfect fitment IMO. When the car is jacked up the exhaust does hit the rear drivers side toe arm (the longer curved control arm), but on the ground there is no interference. I also had decent ground clearance on my old JDM bilsteins. I can clear speed bumps with a full load of passengers no problem.

20180422_182207.thumb.jpg.c376f7fc778f46019ab0b4f2acb213c2.jpg

Honestly, just send it.

I haven't had any issues and I've been running this exhaust for almost two years now. I did however put reflect-a-gold on the inside part of the bumper that surrounds the tips as a precaution. I don't really know how much insulation that provides but I guess the extra layer is better than nothing. Besides, they're pitch black now anyways.

I'm using 35mm Rallitek hangers and I have perfect fitment IMO. When the car is jacked up the exhaust does hit the rear drivers side toe arm (the longer curved control arm), but on the ground there is no interference. I also had decent ground clearance on my old JDM bilsteins. I can clear speed bumps with a full load of passengers no problem.

After looking at clamp on and other tips I think the reflective material/aluminum on the bottom of the cut-out may be the way to go. Spent too much money on a full re-paint with slight color change to send it just yet.

Honestly, just send it.

How load is your exhaust ? Do you have a catted DP ?

That exhaust on my wagon with a catless DP was way to loud.

That same exhaust on my catted DP Spec B is fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've just got a bunch of cable ties restricting the bush movement so that it can never sway enough to touch. That's on a JDM vehicle with the shorter bumper though

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Between the terrible options of bolt-on/weld tips and the cost of tig welding extended 304 stainless here's what I decided to go with. Find an old license plate and flatten it, cut/mold to shape of bottom of cut out, hit with black heat paint and rivet on. They still have the old bumper to use as a template so I can enjoy the car while they work on it.

How load is your exhaust ? Do you have a catted DP ?

That exhaust on my wagon with a catless DP was way to loud.

That same exhaust on my catted DP Spec B is fine.

For the first year with the exhaust I was catted, catless now (both invidia). The main reason being that catted downpipes are expensive... and backfire/afterfire is too much fun.

At idle and casual cruising there is virtually no sound difference, but once you lay into the throttle the difference is pretty noticeable. I have yet to get pulled over too and I have credit card sized gap in my gaskets lol. Highway cruising is overall fine for me. It's certainly not quiet, but with the windows up you can have a conversation inside no problem without having to raise your voice. And there's no headache inducing drone like every other 4 cylinder that are this loud. Honestly I would love to go louder at some point. My dream exhaust is a Q300 muffler on one side and a vacuum operated straight pipe on the other side. I bought most of the parts a few months ago but I haven't gotten around to welding it up. We happen to have one of the best sounding engines of all time, it's a shame not to take advantage of it.

TBH, I think the main difference in volume that you're hearing is due to it being a sedan. My buddy had a FXT with a generic rumble-cannon and it was comical how different it sounded depending on where you sat, how much stuff is in the back, or if the seats were folded down. The open space allows for the sound to resinate about the cabin. I'm sure that if you just add some cheap Dynamat in the spare tire well it would make a night and day difference for you.

Between the terrible options of bolt-on/weld tips and the cost of tig welding extended 304 stainless here's what I decided to go with. Find an old license plate and flatten it, cut/mold to shape of bottom of cut out, hit with black heat paint and rivet on. They still have the old bumper to use as a template so I can enjoy the car while they work on it.

The reflect-a-gold I used is actually just a thin sheet of fiberglass tape with a thin metal layer for the reflective surface. IMO I think the fiberflass is doing most of the work protecting the bumper. If you use actual fiberglass insulation tape or multiple layers of reflect-a-gold I can't see you possibly having an issue.

Take the aluminum exhaust finishers to a local powdercoater and have em done (black I’m assuming) to tone em down a bit and they should stay in at the very least good shape powdered in a rough environment location like that. Prob cost you no more than $50-100 to get done

Think that does justice to what that car is and deserves as everything else on it is finished and spotless and will serve it’s purpose as a functional piece as well

I vote option 3, but I have no direction to give you. I've got the same exhaust on my wagon, and while I love the quad tip, the invidia tips look cheap and bare. I'd love to have something more substantial tip-wise, and closer to the edge of the bumper. On completely stock hangars I'm getting no melty plastic, so there's no tangible incentive for me to make the change.

I vote option 3, but I have no direction to give you. I've got the same exhaust on my wagon, and while I love the quad tip, the invidia tips look cheap and bare. I'd love to have something more substantial tip-wise, and closer to the edge of the bumper. On completely stock hangars I'm getting no melty plastic, so there's no tangible incentive for me to make the change.

I completely agree with everything you said. Option 3 is the way I really want to go but I'm having a hard time reconciling ~$200 or more (almost a 1/3 of the exhaust) on just the tips.

Option 3 is the way I really want to go but I'm having a hard time reconciling ~$200 or more (almost a 1/3 of the exhaust) on just the tips.

I have spent a lot more than $200 fixing an exhaust to get it to my liking.

On one of my cars I changed the muffler 3 times and added resonator. Yes it sucked to spend so much money (especially the 2nd muffler that the shop talked me into), but the end result was exactly what I wanted and overall I was happy. I am not 100% happy with the Invidia Q300 on my 5th Gen GT. It is touch too loud on the highway for my tastes, but I haven't got around deciding exactly what I want to do with it. IMO couple hundred is worth my happiness.

I don't want to tally up how much I spent on getting the exhaust look/sound correct. Needless to say, it was 5-6 iterations before I found what I'm happy with (Stromung FTW). If I'm going to drive it for years and years, I want to smile every time I climb in.

I don't want to tally up how much I spent on getting the exhaust look/sound correct. Needless to say, it was 5-6 iterations before I found what I'm happy with (Stromung FTW). If I'm going to drive it for years and years, I want to smile every time I climb in.

Well I guess you got lucky, they don't list our cars any more,

http://www.stromungexhaust.com/subaru.html :(

Hey I just noticed you had a HKS Silent Hi-Power on your wagon. May 8 2017 in a post in the muffler forum.

Did you replace that with the Stromung ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm perfectly happy with the tone and volume of the grimmspeed catted dp and q300. It's 100% the visual that I would change. And without visual damage, it's difficult to justify paying for something to look differently.

Well I guess you got lucky, they don't list our cars any more,

http://www.stromungexhaust.com/subaru.html :(

Hey I just noticed you had a HKS Silent Hi-Power on your wagon. May 8 2017 in a post in the muffler forum.

Did you replace that with the Stromung ?

I was very fortunate, yes.

I managed to grab one of the old group buy catbacks that had essentially 10 miles on it.

I went through exhausts in an order like this:

- Stock

- Added Invidia catless uppipe/catted downpipe

- OEM 14 WRX catback (with and without resonator)

- OEM 15 STi catback (with and without resonator)

- Nameless 5" axleback

- HKS Silent Hi-Power

- Ebay catback

- Nameless 5" axleback and 3" mid w/ resonator

- HKS ES Premium and 3" mid w/ resonator

- Stock

- Stromung dual tip catback (Winner)

I managed to grab one of the old group buy catbacks that had essentially 10 miles on it.

- Stock

- Nameless 5" axleback

- HKS Silent Hi-Power

- Ebay catback

- Stock

Damn

- Stock

- Nameless 5" axleback

- HKS Silent Hi-Power

- Ebay catback

- Stock

That is quite the history.

After seeing NewEraHanz aluminum exhaust finishers I think you should 100% get those things powdered black n put em on. They’re really sharp lookin. Even if you do go another route wit the tips/exhaust etc that’s a sick finished look. The black shields would flow right into your blacked out center section n look really good. My $.02

If you don’t use em msg me. Sold!! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha I'm definitely getting them powder coated. Black is the number 1 option at the moment but I've been toying with the idea of getting them done in gun metal to match the wheels. A mix of having them stand-out yet toning them down at the same time. Thing is I'm terrible at visualizing so I'll probably play it safe and go black. Even after putting these on I think I'm still going to have the tips re-done at some point to up the size from 60mm to 2.5" and make the flush with the bumper or just a smidge extended.

There is a user on here (I think Rattsl) that had them powder coated a dark grey or black and has them on his black sedan. Check out the OBP photo thread and you can see them. I think they look great but would also love to see his color finishers on a white one.

Ha I'm definitely getting them powder coated. Black is the number 1 option at the moment but I've been toying with the idea of getting them done in gun metal to match the wheels. A mix of having them stand-out yet toning them down at the same time. Thing is I'm terrible at visualizing so I'll probably play it safe and go black. Even after putting these on I think I'm still going to have the tips re-done at some point to up the size from 60mm to 2.5" and make the flush with the bumper or just a smidge extended.

There is a user on here (I think Rattsl) that had them powder coated a dark grey or black and has them on his black sedan. Check out the OBP photo thread and you can see them. I think they look great but would also love to see his color finishers on a white one.

Closest black to match that center section. They stand out no matter what just cuz they’re sick n clean and will give a nice finished line across the whole bottom/center of the bumper from outside edge of finisher to finisher. I have a pretty good eye for this stuff before it’s done...prob cuz I’m left handed. Haha. Again just my $.02 but seriously think that’s a dope, somewhat subtle, finished look

Archived