LegacyGT.com

Strut Spring Combo

I've good results with the Koni/H&R setup. You can buy it as a complete package for our cars. Just have to do some work on the front struts (cutting & drilling). About a 1" drop on this setup

@Scotty How long do you think that setup would last? Where do you find the KYB Excel G Struts?

As for everyone else. I actually am Running Koni + H&R springs with spacers in the back. Looks really nice and flush. I bought the setup from a member here and it was great. But Driving in SF just destroys my suspension. Especially since potholes appear in places you'd never expect.

I think my main reason for straying away from Koni + H&R is the price range for the struts. If the KYB is a bit cheaper I'll try that. If not. I'll just order a whole new set of Koni's. What's the largest rim size you can place on them?

The KYB Excel Gs were great on my old 2003 Legacy setup with H&Rs as well. Pretty close to stock comfort with a good drop.

With regards to wheels, I run Enkei Raijin 18x8.5 (45mm offset) with 235/40R/18XL tires and have 0 issues with fitment on the Koni/H&Rs. No rolling of the fenders was required.

@amm203 so Hypothetically I can still use my H&R springs for these Excel G struts for my 07?

I heard it wasn't advisable to use "lowering springs" with a stock strut. Does that mean Excel G struts are slightly better than stock?

I've heard the same with regards to travel in the strut. They technically aren't designed for lowered springs from what I understand so you may shorten the life of them. However I don't think I'm the only one to run that setup - a quick search around the forum should give you some feedback on that (Google: "site:legacygt.com kyb H&R"). I sold the 03 to my sister as a winter beater and it still runs fine on the KYB/H&Rs 30-40K miles later.

Edit: Worth noting that "GR2" and "Excel-G" is the same strut from KYB. Excel-G is the newer/standard name for those struts.

I've had the KYB GR2 04 rear and year specific fronts on the 06 OBXT with the stock springs for over 120K. They work still with no blowout. I don't load the car up often. Still work when I do. Just a little saggy butt.

Best part I added was the whiteline front and rear anti sway kit with the AVO rear mount brackets. Wish I did this a long time ago.

@amm203

I think I will try my H&R lowering Springs with the KYB struts. If it doesn't suit my needs I'll just go back to the Koni Yellows. As for the saggy butt, I do have .5 inch spacers that help.

@kzr750r1

I have a rear anti-sway bar AVO rear mount brackets and re-did all of the bushings fronts and back with an Energy Bushing kit and added an STI steering rack. I think the struts are all I need to get it to where I want it to be for a "sporty" Daily.

The OEM struts/shocks are KYB. Buying a set of KYBs will bring you back to stock.

I had KYB and H tech springs on my 05 and loved it. It all depends on your personal preference in driving style.

My wife's balls are delicious.

@FJuan

Is the H&R/KYB combo something worth doing?

Will the ride height and feel be lower/sportier than stock?

Also Fresno FTW. lol

H&R are slightly stiffer and lower over the H Tech. Anyone of the springs will give it a sportier look, just depends how low and stiff you want it.

Drop:

H&R -1.4

H Tech -.9

S Tech -1.5

Front spring rate:

H Tech - 219lbs

S Tech - 235lbs

My wife's balls are delicious.

I went with the 04 rears based on recommendations at the outback forum. The different dampening was supposed to stop the ghost walking... Never felt this happen on mine.

Literally the first mod I did along with a WRX LCA bushing. This combination has held together for a long time. Adding the new AntiSway was another night and day deal. I scare the crap out of friends rolling through the back roads. Much less body roll and tires stay in contact. Not may of their cars can do what this one can.

Not sure if this applies to the legacy chassis being without the body lift and lower center of gravity.

I wouldn't do H&Rs on KYB's. The KYBs won't last. Konis aren't what's causing the harshness, it's the H&Rs. If the H&Rs are too tough on you then I would just stick with Koni's on stock springs. There's probably not a better setup comfort/control wise than Stock Springs on Konis.

Brought to you by Pfizer

@Scotty How long do you think that setup would last? Where do you find the KYB Excel G Struts?

As for everyone else. I actually am Running Koni + H&R springs with spacers in the back. Looks really nice and flush. I bought the setup from a member here and it was great. But Driving in SF just destroys my suspension. Especially since potholes appear in places you'd never expect.

I think my main reason for straying away from Koni + H&R is the price range for the struts. If the KYB is a bit cheaper I'll try that. If not. I'll just order a whole new set of Koni's. What's the largest rim size you can place on them?

The Excel G struts are available just about everywhere. They are approximately 20% stiffer than OE to compensate for sagging/worn springs. I've been running them for almost a year now, about 40k miles and they are still good. The springs are older than the struts by atleast a year as I bought them used for a steal!

The struts at this point aren't leaking or showing signs of being worn. I'm happy with the results, however with almost every legacy I've seen, I need butt spacers... it doesnt look bad at all, just my preference.

Scotty

05 OBP LGT. Minor stuff done..

@ttnio @dishwasher

So its better to just have OE springs and KYB struts? What should I do with my H&R’s

Sell them, or hang onto them.

Did you try just turning your Konis to the softest setting? I'd probably prefer konis with OE springs on the softest setting, but KYBs with OE springs is fine too.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Archived