LegacyGT.com

05 Headlight upgrade

Headlight bulbs would be the only upgrade you can consider that would be plug and play. Replacing the headlight assembly with JDM or otherwise retrofitting your projector will be far from a simple upgrade.

That involves taking the bumper cover off. I have never done it but would be interested to hear how bad of a job it is. I am not a body guy, at all.

The bulbs mentioned above are on pg 91 of that thread, which contains some great info BTW.

Bumper comes off these cars in 5 minutes after you do it a few times. It's held on with push pins/plastic bits only. No bolts to undo. Retrofit is not as daunting as it sounds. 2-3 day project with awesome results. After the bumper is off the headlights unbolt in 3-5 locations (+1 push pin) and come off easily.

Bumper comes off these cars in 5 minutes after you do it a few times. It's held on with push pins/plastic bits only. No bolts to undo. Retrofit is not as daunting as it sounds. 2-3 day project with awesome results. After the bumper is off the headlights unbolt in 3-5 locations (+1 push pin) and come off easily.

There are 10mm bolts in the wheel arches. One in each. And the bolts for the grill have to be removed as well.

Bulb upgrade sounds great but I actually meant assembly. My lenses are total junk with cracks and terrible haze. Not interested in buffing out.

I upgraded mine with Depot brand headlamps. They are quality units, that fit well and can be found on Ebay for about $300 a pair.

Replacing the headlights as mentioned by others isn't daunting by any means. I would keep an eye out on the classifieds as well as I bought a set of headlights already with an HID projector retrofit from a member here. I don't really suggest "upgrading" cheap HID kit or LED bulbs in the halogen projectors. A retrofit is definitely the best way to go and you'll appreciate the extra light output

There are 10mm bolts in the wheel arches. One in each. And the bolts for the grill have to be removed as well.

Must be an '05-06 thing. Wheel arches in my '08 are simple push pins for the bumper. There are 10mm bolts in the wheel arches for the rear bumper on mine. Now THAT is a pain in the ass to get off.

Edit: Grille on mine as well is simply push pins and those 4 weird box pin things on top. Subaru must have changed stuff around for the facelift. Good to know there's a difference!

I can vouch for the depo brand headlights. Look so much better than stock. Install was fairly easy. Getting bumper off for the first time was a pain though. Recommend doing it in a heated garage or wait till summer if you have the luxury. All the plastic pins just snap if they are cold.

I recently bought a box full of replacement pins off amazon.

Going to do an HID conversion hopefully in the next few months.

Anyone have HID recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retrofit Source has direct bolt on HID projector kits (Mini H1 7.0) for our models. They bolt directly to the projector mount in our headlights. You essentially unbolt the OEM projector lens housing and bolt in the Retrofit kit. All wiring is PnP. Only custom fabrication work I had to do involved drilling a hole in the dust cap to feed the wires through. Made an incredible difference in light output. Plus, being bi-xenon you can essentially run quad high-beams if you order the proper splitter for the OEM high-beam halogen bulbs on our headlights.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-retroquik-subaru-legacy.html

Archived