LegacyGT.com

Entire Engine Oil Contents on floor

Wow, I can't believe I am back so soon.

Just had radiator replaced yesterday, valve job last week.

Started up this morning and I heard a waterfall sound. Entire contents of engine oil are now on my garage floor. Seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine.

Need to try to determine likely culprits. Oil filter? Plug? Valve cover gaskets?

Would they have drained oil to do valve job?

This story is missing a few points.

Was the work done in your garage?

Did you drive it home from the mechanic yesterday?

The work was done at a mechanics shop and I drove it home as well as drove out last night. Probably 50 km. There were no drops on floor this morning.

I have pulled off my skid plate and couldn't really see anything. Drain plug was fine though. Also, didn't quite look like it was the filter. It is definately something at the bottom of the engine though.

Where would I find these galley plugs and how to determine if they are the problem?

Well I looked at my oil filter. It does have 2 gaskets. I last got my oil changed December 12. Can this problem really manifest itself 2 and a half months later.

Thank god I had just started my car in the morning so likely no damage to engine.

How to nail the shop?

First ensure it was the shop at fault, did you do the last oil change or did they? If they are surely at fault then bring them the two gaskets with pictures of the massive oil leak and tell them to cover replacement oil and then some. If it had happened any other time on the road, it likely would have been catostrophic.

Well I looked at my oil filter. It does have 2 gaskets. I last got my oil changed December 12. Can this problem really manifest itself 2 and a half months later.

Thank god I had just started my car in the morning so likely no damage to engine.

How to nail the shop?

Yes it can - all depends on how tight the filter was torqued.

Most likely no damage, but talk with the shop about it, it's things that happens sometimes and you were probably lucky after all.

On the positive side - they did replace the filter.

;)

453747.png

OK, it looks like there was no double gasket. Somehow something caused a spike in pressure that blew out the filter gasket. It got replaced and oil refilled. This time started and not leaking however after a minute or so they noticed that the filter still cold. Light then came on so they turned it off.

Now it apparently has some rod knock and likely done.

I need to understand this before I can write this Subaru chapter of my life off. Bought a new car today.

Can anyone explain what would fail to cause spike in pressure that would blow out the oil filter gasket and then not circulate oil so engine starves of oil when it is full?

Yes it seemed odd. Especially as the radiator had been replaced just the day before. Do these systems have any commonality.

It bothers me to not understand why something happened. Out of town so hoping to be back in town and talk to the shop that looked at it after it happened. Hopefully they can explain more to me.

The commonality is that a shop monkey was touching your car. All bets are off when that happens....

Of course normally radiator replacement should not in any shape or form compromise engine oiling system.

No overheating. Just a little smoke coming out of the front of engine now and again due to a small crack. But it was very small crack. Vehicle never overheated just a small bead of cool and would sit on too of the rad and smoke sometimes.

Looks like the failure was likely oil pump which stopped circulating oil. If someone can explain why this might cause the filter gasket to blow out that would be nice. Also I assume that even full of oil if pump isnt circulating oil then rods can still get damaged?

Possible there was a blockage somewhere which caused the increase in oil pressure, leading to a failed oil pump and oil filter gasket to blow out. Rod damage could have happened first, metal bits blocking passages. It’s all speculation at this point without any pictures to see the damage. Could even be the oil filter itself, bypass spring malfunction which built up the pressure.

Possible there was a blockage somewhere which caused the increase in oil pressure, leading to a failed oil pump and oil filter gasket to blow out. Rod damage could have happened first, metal bits blocking passages. It’s all speculation at this point without any pictures to see the damage. Could even be the oil filter itself, bypass spring malfunction which built up the pressure.

Never even heard that the bypass spring could block, if it blocks then the filter blows the filter material.

What it might be is the pressure relief valve getting clogged by something.

Just pull it apart, we might learn something from it.

453747.png

Archived