LegacyGT.com

2020 (Gen 7) Legacy Debuts at Chicago Auto Show

I don't know that the new CVT is going to be bad, per se (that remains to be seen), but the XT would be higher on my list of wants if it came with a more engaging transmission (i.e., a manual)

A CVT should be able to out-do a manual in terms of fuel economy, etc., but to me, it's less fun to drive.

I don't know that the new CVT is going to be bad, per se (that remains to be seen), but the XT would be higher on my list of wants if it came with a more engaging transmission (i.e., a manual)

A CVT should be able to out-do a manual in terms of fuel economy, etc., but to me, it's less fun to drive.

Exactly. The CVT disengages the driver's foot from the wheels to such an extent that it's just a request to "go faster" or "go slower". A DCT would be nice.

This morning I was ruminating about why I would pick a Legacy XT over any of the competition, I concluded that it just doesn't stand out from the crowd. There's no compelling reason to select it over, for example, a Kia Stinger 2.0T ... similar power, price, space, awd, much better warranty, not a CVT. If AWD isnt' important, there a whole slew of offerings ... Camy, Accord, Mazda 6, Altima, Optima, Sonata, etc.

I agree that if AWD isn't a big plus for you where you live, there are probably better options in the segment.

I just drove mine from Minneapolis to Madison (nearly 300 miles) yesterday and it was snowing most of the way. For me, on days like that, I'm really thankful to have it. I know I could get similar (maybe even better) results with winter tires on a FWD car, but that requires that much more hassle and ongoing costs.

I agree that if AWD isn't a big plus for you where you live, there are probably better options in the segment.

I just drove mine from Minneapolis to Madison (nearly 300 miles) yesterday and it was snowing most of the way. For me, on days like that, I'm really thankful to have it. I know I could get similar (maybe even better) results with winter tires on a FWD car, but that requires that much more hassle and ongoing costs.

We don't get enough snow in MN, nor do we have enough mountains (even in the river valley in which I live) to truly justify AWD, but it is nice to have. Snow tires, on the other hand, are way worth it, no matter which wheels are driven. As I write this the mail truck came up our hill - RWD, open diff, snow tires and packed snow on the ground, she did make it up the hill, spinning that one tire furiously.

Resale value and my experience with the (lack of) quality in Korean cars rules out a Kia.

Not to get all Phaedrusy on you, but 'quality' has many dimensions ... I agree that Kia doesn't have a stellar reputation for reliability but it is improving quickly. It's not like Subaru has such a great reputation either. In general, Subaru quality is much more consistent across their products, and Kia/Hyundai is more spread out (i.e. they have some stinkers parked right next to stellar products). The Stinger is one of the stellar ones.

I hear you on the resale value though .. since I don't buy new that works in my favor.

Does the new turbo engine require premium octane or do they run on 87?

I need to do more research if I want to come back to an XT.

I recall the Ascent running on 87 octane.

If it's like Subaru's other DIT it'll run on both but you'll get the best performance from 93 octane E10. Considering how well the WRX's 2.0 FADIT's respond to higher ethanol amounts with just a tune, I'm surprised Subaru doesn't make their vehicles flex-fuel compatible and blow the competition out of the water.

Thanks guys. When I went back to BMW I figured I’d be paying for premium with their turbo 4 but it recommends 89 minimum. 91 to get HP figures. Seems to be running fine for my style of driving on 89. In my area it’s a big jump between 89 and 93. Yeah yeah. I know. I bought a BMW so why be cheap.

Exterior is barely a refresh. Dash looks nice, and the Nappa Leather will probably feel and smell nice. Ventilated seats, would be cool (haha). At a mile above sea level, the XT would be awesome. - Not interested in this new model. I'll drive my 50th Anniversary until I'm bored, then look into the new 4Runner or refreshed Taco, that's if Subaru refuses to make a new truck.

I traded my 16 Legacy for a Tacoma. I love it, its great. So was my Legacy. They both are good for totally different reasons.

We don't get enough snow in MN, nor do we have enough mountains (even in the river valley in which I live) to truly justify AWD, but it is nice to have. Snow tires, on the other hand, are way worth it, no matter which wheels are driven. As I write this the mail truck came up our hill - RWD, open diff, snow tires and packed snow on the ground, she did make it up the hill, spinning that one tire furiously.

living in minnesnowda I will strongly disagree with your assessment. where I live FWD and RWD cars cannot make it up the main hill and I routinely pass them in my Subaru wearing only all seasons Bridgestone Turenza Serenity + to be exact.... driven that car through a foot and a half of snow and never got stuck even when going up said hill..

Kia is improving quickly.

I agree. Kia (and Hyundai for that matter) quality has improved dramatically here in Oz, and their after sales back up is considered by many, to be right up with the best. I'm not looking, but if I was, the name Kia would not put me off in the slightest ... in fact with their extended warranty they would probably be one of my first ports of call.

Archived