LegacyGT.com

Master cylinder brace?

5thGenCVT

One of my biggest complaints with the 5th generation Legacy is the brake pedal feel. I want to improve it by adding a master cylinder brace, but I can't seem to find any online. Does anyone know if they make them for US model 5th gen Legacy's?

Myles at RCE has told a friend of mine a while back that adding a brace won't help with the feel on the brake pedal much on the 5th gens and that it was just not a good brake booster for performance-minded folks. Tried braided lines and new pads and it helps braking performance, but not pedal feel unfortunately. Maybe a little bit, but not as much as hoped. He did RCE struts back when they still made them for that car and springs, along with sways, etc so it handled pretty darn well overall.... but the braking was something that never noticeably improved.

I've not heard if anyone has pursued replacing the entire brake booster assembly... YMMV, just passing along what I've learned on by buddy's previously owned 2014 3.6r.

One of my biggest complaints with the 5th generation Legacy is the brake pedal feel. I want to improve it by adding a master cylinder brace, but I can't seem to find any online. Does anyone know if they make them for US model 5th gen Legacy's?

To answer your question, GrimmSpeed makes one for our cars.

j.

Myles at RCE has told a friend of mine a while back that adding a brace won't help with the feel on the brake pedal much on the 5th gens and that it was just not a good brake booster for performance-minded folks. Tried braided lines and new pads and it helps braking performance, but not pedal feel unfortunately. Maybe a little bit, but not as much as hoped. He did RCE struts back when they still made them for that car and springs, along with sways, etc so it handled pretty darn well overall.... but the braking was something that never noticeably improved.

I've not heard if anyone has pursued replacing the entire brake booster assembly... YMMV, just passing along what I've learned on by buddy's previously owned 2014 3.6r.

That's unfortunate, the brake pedal is really mushy from the factory, but life goes on I guess. I really like the handling of the car stock, it turns pretty neutral but I am also looking to modify the suspension in the future to improve the turn in and maybe increase oversteer slightly. Any ideas for suspension mods?

• 2 months later...
Update: I bought one from Hardrace and I've been using it for about a week and it really does make a difference. It feels like it took 3 inches or more off of the brake pedal travel. I highly recommend this part if you want to improve the braking feel of our cars.

Archived