LegacyGT.com

'95 EJ22 into a '99 Outback?

Related ot my other posts about what to do with our '97 GT that went into an embankment- I'm wondering if the '95 EJ22 that's in it is a direct swap into a '99 Outback (with '99 the year that phase 2 was starting to come it).

I found a clean looking '99 Outback Limited with bad headgaskets I'd like to look at.

The intake shapes are different you can't just swap intakes in this instance.

Any 96-98 EJ25D or 95-98 EJ22 would be a direct swap with the appropriate header.

The 99 2.2 is an oddball mechanically.

The phase two is the electronics. Subaru went to a 2 plug harness with matching changes in sensors etc.

O.

Oh, I was thinking you meant put a phase I 2.2 in place of a phase II 2.2. 2.2 intakes don't bolt onto 2.5 heads as far as I know. ACTUALLY the more I think about it, I am pretty sure the hillbilly used dealership I used to work at had a forester that the dealer owner put a 2.2 in and used a 2.5 intake on in order for the engine to cooperate with the wiring. I didn't know subarus well enough back then so I can't confirm and I also don't know what phase engine he put in it but the intake was from a 251 or 253 since the forester was a 2004

The 99 2.2 was the oddball mechanically because it used 2.5 intakes.

No other 2.2 will accept it unless you go hybrid ie frankenmotor or EJ22/ 25D heads. these are specialty installs.

The limited OB is a 2.5 so, no 2.2 intake swap

O.

Mechanically it will swap. Changing sensors and all that, but what will you do with the harnesses?

The 99 is a 2 plug while the 95 is a 3.

In addition 95 is OBD1 and 99 is OBD2

O.

Mechanically it will swap. Changing sensors and all that, but what will you do with the harnesses?

The 99 is a 2 plug while the 95 is a 3.

In addition 95 is OBD1 and 99 is OBD2

O.

No, this engine is OBD2. (I believe only Impreza's were still OBD1 in '95, Legacy's were OBD2)

95 seems to be OBDII-ish. It uses the correct connector for II and talks ISO9141, but the sensor suite is not as complete as in 96, so it's not exactly a full OBDII.

Hence all the confusion about which it is.

Makes it somewhat interesting to get a replacement ECU.

STEVO F - Yes, if the 2.2 works in the '97 that had the EJ25D (OB, GT, LSi, SUS), it'll work in a '99 OB, GT, or SUS that had the EJ25D.

Let's get this straight and this only applies to USA / USDM Subarus.

Phase 1 vs Phase 2 info HERE.

OBD1 vs. OBD2 is unrelated to Phase 1 vs 2

'95 Impreza 2.2 were all Automatics and OBD2 / OBDII

'95 Impreza 5-speeds all used the 1.8 and OBD1 (the base Impreza did have a 1.8 + Automatic).

'95 Legacy were all 2.2 OBD2 (the ONLY engine in a Legacy in '95 - including the '95 "outback", which was really an 'L' w/ trim differences - no lift or roof).

The '95 2.2 (Impreza and Legacy) was the 'mostly' plug-n-play w/the '96-'99 EJ25D DOHC. There are some vacuum lines that may need re-routed and the starter bolt is different on '99 as that year used the Phase 2 bellhousing w/the extra mounts. '95 was the last of the dual-port heads and it had the compatible wiring harness.

The Phase 1 Intake Manifolds are not interchangeable / swappable between the '90-'98 2.2 SOHC and the '96-'99 2.5 DOHC.

The Phase 2 2.2/2.5 NON-turbo DO interchange - they're SOHC.

'99 Legacy Outback, GT, and SUS had the funky EJ25D that was Phase 2 block but w/Phase 1 DOHC heads and pistons - the ENGINE wiring harness is ALL Phase 1. The transmission is mostly Phase 2 electronics / harness and can't be swapped to an earlier Subaru, but the engine side doesn't care.

And the ECU / ECM / PCM (depending on your predilection) stays original - no need to swap it out.

Archived