LegacyGT.com

Absolutely Stumped!!!

I'm looking for a little (or a lot) of help here, my 2005 LGT has me completely stumped with this issue. Long story short, I have heat out my drivers side vents and no heat at all coming out of my passenger side vents... I've just checked the actuators and they are working well. I did replace the vent control one last year and it's working great. No more gurgly dash!

Could this be a massive air pocket that I just can't get out of my heater core? I've been doing a system bleed today and got a couple small bubbles out of the cooling system but it hasn't made a change.

Here is the youtube link of the actuators working.

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Well... I went the route of clogged heater core, although I've never seen 1/2 a heater core working, but hey we drive subaru's.

I picked up some clear hose and flushed the heater core with my garden hose BACKWARDS of normal flow, some small chunks of stuff came out but nothing significant. So I flushed it the normal flow of the coolant, again small chunks of stuff but nothing much. I did it probably 6 buckets full worth of water. Nothing else came through so I put her all back together.

Now, what I believe is my saving grace, I picked up a lisle spill free funnel for coolant, they are a kit that fits on the high pressure valve area of cooling system, so on the rad cap and the upper reservoir area. Filled her up with fresh coolant and let it run for a good 30 mins, I had heat out of both sides!! The good thing is the heat also came much earlier as well, and had a much higher temp coming out of the vents. I recommend this flush to anyone really at any point.

Here is the link to the funnel kit I bought.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548301015&sr=8-1&keywords=lisle+24680

heat!!.thumb.jpg.f674c33052581b4e04a2b5cdf497f19e.jpg

A bit, honestly not too much. I had a large cardboard box down there to absorb the water/coolant. It worked well. I thought much more would have come out.

The hoses are 5/8" btw just grab some of the clear stuff from a local hardware store. It'll be like $10 for 10' and then you can run it over to a bucket

Nope, with the engine being cold there was no pressure so I just kept them propped up. Very minimal loss, the hoses are old so I didn't want to crimp them, you could just shove a larger bolt in the end and use a hose clamp on them if really needed

Now, what I believe is my saving grace, I picked up a lisle spill free funnel for coolant, they are a kit that fits on the high pressure valve area of cooling system, so on the rad cap and the upper reservoir area. Filled her up with fresh coolant and let it run for a good 30 mins, I had heat out of both sides!! The good thing is the heat also came much earlier as well, and had a much higher temp coming out of the vents. I recommend this flush to anyone really at any point.

Here is the link to the funnel kit I bought.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548301015&sr=8-1&keywords=lisle+24680

One more question... So you put that kit on the car and let it run for a while. I am guessing this took care of removing any potential air in the system?

After that, I gather you waited for the engine to cool down, then remove your apparatus and simply put back the coolant tank cap. Is that it?

One more question... So you put that kit on the car and let it run for a while. I am guessing this took care of removing any potential air in the system?

After that, I gather you waited for the engine to cool down, then remove your apparatus and simply put back the coolant tank cap. Is that it?

Exactly, it makes it the absolute highest position in the cooling system, all bubbles removed quite easily.

Yep. I just bought that kit. :spin:

Can't wait to do this.

I may also take this opportunity to change the upper radiator hose. It has a slow leak at the block side.

Once you get the hose off, be sure to inspect the outlet surface. I pulled mine off, and it was covered in caked up/dried coolant. Cleaned it all off with a long strip of rough emery cloth, and underneath I found a large pit. Its not quite apparent in the pic, but the divot has almost perforated the pipe. A little bit of pitting is normal, but I could have punched thru the pipe if I tried. I was lucky to find it while the engine was disassembled, and just replaced the pipe. Otherwise, if its bad enough, you could fill it in with some jb weld and polish it flat again.

Just something to look out for.

Those Lisle funnels are great, makes burping the system so much easier!

1578972511_coolantpipe.thumb.jpg.608a7eee7a5dc618d2c17befca8d3537.jpg

Carfuling with the core flush activity. I'm convinced doing this on my first motor was the precursor to head gaskets finally failing at 160K or so. If you do it make sure to put the subaru conditioner (stopleak) back in with the new coolant.

Once you get the hose off, be sure to inspect the outlet surface. I pulled mine off, and it was covered in caked up/dried coolant. Cleaned it all off with a long strip of rough emery cloth, and underneath I found a large pit. Its not quite apparent in the pic, but the divot has almost perforated the pipe. A little bit of pitting is normal, but I could have punched thru the pipe if I tried. I was lucky to find it while the engine was disassembled, and just replaced the pipe. Otherwise, if its bad enough, you could fill it in with some jb weld and polish it flat again.

Just something to look out for.

Those Lisle funnels are great, makes burping the system so much easier!

Thanks a lot for the heads-up. I will carefully check for what you described.

Carfuling with the core flush activity. I'm convinced doing this on my first motor was the precursor to head gaskets finally failing at 160K or so. If you do it make sure to put the subaru conditioner (stopleak) back in with the new coolant.

Care to elaborate?

There has been a debate what the coolant "conditioner" really is. Most feel it's meant to act as a stop leak product. I'm not a chemist. With the issues the platform has had with head gasket failure they are probably not far off.

Anyway... Long story short. I ran a prestone flush with the car and soon after had full blown head gasket failure. It was probably going to happen eventually. However if the flush clears all the "Conditioner" then the mechanical failure would rear it's ugly head.

I debated with putting it in with the new motor. In the end it was added. Due for a coolant swap and will add it again.

But did you flush through the engine, or did you only flush the heater core? If you only flush the heater core itself, I can't see how you'd have any issues. My engine has never seen an ounce of stop leak/coolant conditioner by the way, I wouldn't touch that stuff. But at the same time, maybe the older coolant was harder on the head gasket material than the newer super coolant.

On my built engine, I use all makes-all models antifreeze. Never had an issue with this on any engines including the Mustang or friends 396 Chevy we rebuilt 2 summers ago. If you ever need coolant, it's extremely handy to know that no matter what you buy, it will work.

But did you flush through the engine, or did you only flush the heater core? If you only flush the heater core itself, I can't see how you'd have any issues. My engine has never seen an ounce of stop leak/coolant conditioner by the way, I wouldn't touch that stuff. But at the same time, maybe the older coolant was harder on the head gasket material than the newer super coolant.

Added the flush with water and drove it a day or so. then drop and ran water for a day or two. Then replaced with the green coolant and a conditioner bottle...Few weeks later 100% headgasket failure... It was probably on it's way out before this.

Added the flush with water and drove it a day or so. then drop and ran water for a day or two. Then replaced with the green coolant and a conditioner bottle...Few weeks later 100% headgasket failure... It was probably on it's way out before this.

Yeah never put the flush in the system just through the heater core and then flush it out with the hose again.

Archived