LegacyGT.com

2016 Outback third brake light electrical connectors

First off, apologies if previously addressed. I’m looking for a source for the electrical connectors for the center mounted brake light. I’m looking to install a brake light flasher for it and I’m not crazy about cutting and splicing. I’d like to make it plug and play. Dealer doesn’t show these as a purchasable item. I can’t imagine that Subaru makes these themselves. I’ve put a number of emails out to various companies with no success. Any ideas? Thanks in advance to all you smart people out there. Have a wonderful day!

Almost every connector in a car can be found at a well-stocked electronics warehouse like Mouser.

The problem is to find the correct connector since the product number of the connector usually is hidden in the manufacturer documentation.

453747.png

Mouser was one of the places I contacted. Sent photos and explained what it was off of...reply I got was that they couldn’t help me.

I'm not surprised considering the amount of connectors out there.

You have to look for yourself to find the correct connector - or a compatible.

453747.png

I don't know about Subaru in particular, but most auto manufacturers choose a "standard" connector family, based on things like contact form and current carrying capacity, and then order hundreds of different custom connector bodies (i.e. housings) from the OE supplier. In many vehicles these days, through the use of keying slots and tabs on the connector bodies, there is only one combination of plug and receptacle in the entire vehicle that will mate properly.

This design strategy eliminates lots of problems on the assembly line, but makes procuring exact replacement connector bodies all but impossible. That said, it is often possible to find a generic connector body that almost matches, and then grind off (e.g. with a hand file) the custom keying.

Another solution is to recycle a needed connector housing from a salvage yard, remove the old pins (virtually all pins are removable with proper tools these days), and replace with new pins available from big industrial electrical parts distributors like Mouser or DigiKey.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I'm a boring dude that wouldn't mind looking around if you can post pictures of the connector.. I've tried looking for pictures of the oem connector, but none of them show enough detail.

Archived