LegacyGT.com

Options for Solid Transmission Mounts?

I'm looking for a solid transaxle mount to replace the worn out one on my '97 5MT. Right now, the best option I can find is part #41022AC180 from the dealership. All of the aftermarket ones from places like Advance or Autozone look like cheap garbage. Will any of the solid mounts available out there fit my transmission?

Will probably go with a Cusco (Part # 6A1 911 PS) or Kartboy (Part # KB-015) pitch stop mount, Kartboy transmission mount bushings (Part # KB-025), and possibly solid motor mounts from Aluminati (Part # ALM-MOT-MNT), as well, and I'm looking for a solid transaxle mount to go along with them.

Wondering if anyone has good or bad things to say about any of those options. Thanks in advance.

I made a ghetto one once and it felt fine. I bought a tube of black polyurethane and just filled in all the gaps and let it cure for a few weeks. It's an old school homemade solid mount tactic but doesn't really replace a proper solid mount. When I did it, it removed a fair amount of drivetain slop at the cost of a little more vibration at speed. I plan to buy real solid mounts when I do my 5MT conversion but I have no experience as of yet.

I made a ghetto one once and it felt fine. I bought a tube of black polyurethane and just filled in all the gaps and let it cure for a few weeks. It's an old school homemade solid mount tactic but doesn't really replace a proper solid mount. When I did it, it removed a fair amount of drivetain slop at the cost of a little more vibration at speed. I plan to buy real solid mounts when I do my 5MT conversion but I have no experience as of yet.

Interesting. So do you like score the surface first, and then let it cure between two pieces of wax paper with something heavy sitting on top?

A Group N transmission mount for the 02-07 Impreza WRX and STI is a solid mount and will work in the 97 BD/ BK models. part number D1010FE020

Cheers

rdleg05

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the BG Legacy Outback Wagon, will it still work?

Edit: And if it does work, does it then follow that aftermarket versions of that OEM part will also work on my application? It seems like there are a lot of performance options for the '97 Impreza 5MT, and the shape looks like it would fit in the same way

Interesting. So do you like score the surface first, and then let it cure between two pieces of wax paper with something heavy sitting on top?

I have the BG Legacy Outback Wagon, will it still work?

Edit: And if it does work, does it then follow that aftermarket versions of that OEM part will also work on my application? It seems like there are a lot of performance options for the '97 Impreza 5MT, and the shape looks like it would fit in the same way

Yeah I started with a new mount and just sanded the soon to be mating surfaces, cleaned it thoroughly with brake clean and then taped one side with aluminum tape and filled from the other side, then after a few days, removed the tape and let it cure for a few weeks. I didn't apply any weight or anything, I just left it sitting on a parts shelf.

Text from a friend of mine, adding it for the record:

"Why do you want a solid transmission mount in the first place? There's never a good reason for solid engine/tranny mounts unless it's a hardcore track only car. They are soft flexible rubber for a reason, it absorbs a lot of vibration. Solid mounts make the car very harsh and unruly to drive, and you also run the risk of damaging things. You could actually crack the housing or tear your unibody unless they're specifically reinforced."

It sounds like they suck for daily driving, so I'll probably just stick with the stock replacement. If the Group N one fits I might consider that, since it looks like it still has some play to it, compared to the aluminum bracket style ones.

Leggyobw97–yes it will fit the BG model. The second gen Legacy’s are body code BD for Sedan, BG and BK for the wagons.

Aftermarket solid applications will work, but the NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) are amplified greatly and you can feel it in the body and transmission shifter.

You kinda have to ask yourself what are you doing with the car to have the solid transmount application. The Group N mount is a great upgrade to the trans mount reducing torque of the trans under heavy acceleration.

To add additional stiffness you can replace the transmission crossmember bushings to solid polyeurathane bushings and that will also help reduce trans movement.

Cheers

rdleg05

Leggyobw97–yes it will fit the BG model. The second gen Legacy’s are body code BD for Sedan, BG and BK for the wagons.

Aftermarket solid applications will work, but the NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) are amplified greatly and you can feel it in the body and transmission shifter.

You kinda have to ask yourself what are you doing with the car to have the solid transmount application. The Group N mount is a great upgrade to the trans mount reducing torque of the trans under heavy acceleration.

To add additional stiffness you can replace the transmission crossmember bushings to solid polyeurathane bushings and that will also help reduce trans movement.

Cheers

rdleg05

Thanks, that's really helpful info. I daily the car, but I drive a lot of back roads and occasionally do some light trail driving when the weather is nice. I want the car to feel a little sportier, but I don't want to sacrifice the ability to daily drive it or the ability to take it down a trail.

As far as the drivetrain is concerned, right now I have the Kartboy short-shifter with poly front & rear shifter bushings, and the clutch was rebuilt by a shop like 3 years ago so it still feels good. But the mounts and bushings are soft and I get some bucking at low speeds in first gear.

I was looking into replacement mounts, and thought that since I liked the feel of poly shifter bushings, I'd probably like poly transmission mounts, but now that I'm learning about the NVH issues, I'm thinking better of it.

The Group N mounts say that they're just a stiffer rubber, not aluminum or poly, so is the NVH not as bad? You'd think that it's alright since they're stock equipment on consumer vehicles.

So would the Group N left and right motor mounts fit my BG wagon too? And do you think I'd benefit from going that route?

I really appreciate the advice.

Agree with what kzr... said ref the solid mounts. Group N mount will work for a daily. I have it on my 02 WRX and 97 Legacy Sedan.

As for motor mounts—new motor mounts are probably in order due to the age of the car. And if they are original ones. You could also go Group N motor mounts for 02 WRX and those will fit.

Cheers

Rdleg

• 2 weeks later...
all the Group-N stuff fits the 2nd Gen Legacy. I have used the engine, trans, and pitch stops on several 2nd Gen builds and currently have them in my DD. Pretty much any of the aftermarket/performance mounts will work. Torque Solutions, Perrin, ect

Archived