LegacyGT.com

New driver, messed up a few times- bad?

I am a new driver and being, well a new driver, i have done some stupid things and i was wondering how bad they are to my car and if they caused any permanent damage.

- I accidentally went into Neutral on a highway going about 60mph but quickly got out

-put my foot on the gas in park and it just got up to the red mark on the rpm meter, but i quickly took my foot off (obviously)

i am sure there are more i just can't think of any right now, and yes i now what i did is stupid lol, but hey it all happned in my first day, except the neutral incident which happned on the 6th day.

Guessing since you went into park, you have an automatic. None of the things you did are detrimental. Things that may be detrimental are powerbraking (foot hard on brakes AND foot revving engine.. then you let go and launch--this is how ppl w/ automatics drag race) to name one.
-ben

To be honest Im more than 100% sure that you didnt cause any harm. Just be mindful of what you are doing and you will be fine. One thing about Subaru is that they build pretty bulletproof machines UNLESS you hammer them every chance you get.

Just stick to the maintenance programs that Subaru asks you to stick to and you should be golden. If you need anything answered, just do a search, if u cant find it in search, ask away.

Im sure than sure that myself and axis008 wont have any problems with you sending a PM if you get stuck.

All the best.

Ada///M.

I am a new driver and being, well a new driver, i have done some stupid things and i was wondering how bad they are to my car and if they caused any permanent damage.

- I accidentally went into Neutral on a highway going about 60mph but quickly got out

-put my foot on the gas in park and it just got up to the red mark on the rpm meter, but i quickly took my foot off (obviously)

i am sure there are more i just can't think of any right now, and yes i now what i did is stupid lol, but hey it all happned in my first day, except the neutral incident which happned on the 6th day.

Assuming you have a Subaru Legacy with an automatic transmission, by letting the "rpm meter" get to the "red mark" you have done irreparable damage to the engine, transmission, all three differentials, and your spare tire. When the "rpm meter" reaches the "red mark" in park, the Kahootzen valve opens and the car will never be the same again. That "red mark" is there for a reason!

The only thing to do is to try to sell the car right away on this forum. 1. Park the car immediately and don't drive it anymore. 2. Please right down the price you paid for your Subaru on a piece of paper. 3. Then multiply that number by 0.4569 and place the car up for sale in the "seller classifieds" forum at the calculated price. 4. Destroy the paper by eating it. Under no circumstances, tell the buyer that the Kahootzen valve has opened.

Sorry for your loss--we all feel for you!

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

If you do buy a replacement Kahootzen valve, be sure to get a original Japanese model, the cheaper "made in Singapore" "kahootzen" replacements (note the lack of capitalization of the "K" is the giveaway) don't last very long and can throw off the rack and pinion differential pressure so much that the car will only be able to make right-hand turns (except in the United Kingdom).

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

If you do buy a replacement Kahootzen valve, be sure to get a original Japanese model, the cheaper "made in Singapore" "kahootzen" replacements (note the lack of capitalization of the "K" is the giveaway) don't last very long and can throw off the rack and pinion differential pressure so much that the car will only be able to make right-hand turns (except in the United Kingdom).

mmmm nascar

']That's a dumb idea. When you do that the engine needs gasoline to keep idling. If you leave it in gear downhill' date=' the gasoline can be turned off.[/quote']

This is another myth I'm sick of hearing. I have watched my mileage while unquestionabley engine braking and seen it display in the 50s for MPG, push in the clutch, and the mileage didn't change. Furthermore, when you're engine braking, you are slowing your vehicle down, and scrubbing off speed, which will require a greater amount of energy and fuel to restore than is consumed while idling.

Why members don't science?

Coasting in neutral is about as dangerous as drinking a coke in your car. True, you could be safer, but it's not so hazardous that I think it's even worth mentioning. If you're paying attention to the road, it's pretty much a non-issue.

This is another myth I'm sick of hearing. I have watched my mileage while unquestionabley engine braking and seen it display in the 50s for MPG, push in the clutch, and the mileage didn't change. Furthermore, when you're engine braking, you are slowing your vehicle down, and scrubbing off speed, which will require a greater amount of energy and fuel to restore than is consumed while idling.

Why members don't science?

When you're coasting (i.e. foot off accelerator pedal) in overdrive on a long descent, your instantaneous fuel economy actually shoots up to infinity because the ECM has turned off the fuel injectors. Unfortunately, that little MPG gauge you're watching doesn't read that high.

Why members don't math?

Archived