LegacyGT.com

[ISO] Cheap Downpipe

I've been looking to find a high flow cat downpipe for a 5EAT.

I know everyone will say not to cheap out on this but i don't have a lot of money to work with as i'm only 18 and make minimum wage. I've seen the REV9 get a lot of respect for its high flow cat version but that's only for manual transmission. Every auto transmission high flow cat downpipe for this car is 500+. If anyone knows of anything please do let me know.

Save your money. The stock downpipe is a flow restriction but not a super important upgrade if you're on a budget. Especially when you're on a budget. These cars don't break cheaply most of the time.

Get a catless uppipe, you won't need a tune for that like you will with a new downpipe, and it's a step to keep your turbo and engine safer.

If you're broke and you only make minimum wage, I would start by ensuring your car is up to date on maintenance and that the oil line banjo filters have been removed and you have a catless uppipe. Don't bother spending your money on modifications until you have a good base to start with otherwise you're going to be dishing out a lot of money for a new engine.

When it comes to looking for downpipes for cheaper, definitely keep an eye out on used items as well as they will be as much or even cheaper than the Rev9 downpipes new. I scooped up a used Cobb downpipe for less than what the Rev9 would have set me back.

all maintenance is done, i've done the up pipe , changed a wheel bearing. ive even done a turbo swap on this car, hell ive had to cut a few vf40's in half with a blow torch because i couldnt buy a new one. Oil changes every 2500 miles since the turbo went. I clean the banjos every oil change because i'm too worried about removing them. i havent gotten full clarification on if im able to remove them.

all maintenance is done, i've done the up pipe , changed a wheel bearing. ive even done a turbo swap on this car, hell ive had to cut a few vf40's in half with a blow torch because i couldnt buy a new one. Oil changes every 2500 miles since the turbo went. I clean the banjos every oil change because i'm too worried about removing them. i havent gotten full clarification on if im able to remove them.

You can remove the banjos as there are a lot of people on this forum who have them removed with no issues. They're more likely to be an issue that a benefit. You mention you had to replace the turbo and are on a shorter oil change interval. I would highly recommend you get an oil analysis by blackstone on your next oil change. You might have metal circulating through your engine from your turbo failure

So do remove the filters in the banjos? I also havent been successful in getting to the one behind the plastic cover on the driver side. Ive shot air into it with an aircompressor after i got it to come out as far is it goes.

sample kit as in one for Blackstone Labs ?

You send them a sample of the oil you drain out after the car has warmed up for a bit.

Yes, you remove the filter from the banjo bolt. The front one can be removed if you cut the top off the bolt. HAMMERDOWN did a great DIY years ago.

If your car has had a blown turbo, I would wait until you get a good report from Blackstone before removing the filters.

I have had both filters removed for over 105,000 miles.

I use Amsoil 5w-40 European Classic and their oil filters and do 7000 mile oil changes after hearing back from Blackstone about my oil.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If you're broke and you only make minimum wage, I would start by ensuring your car is up to date on maintenance and that the oil line banjo filters have been removed and you have a catless uppipe. Don't bother spending your money on modifications until you have a good base to start with otherwise you're going to be dishing out a lot of money for a new engine.

When it comes to looking for downpipes for cheaper, definitely keep an eye out on used items as well as they will be as much or even cheaper than the Rev9 downpipes new. I scooped up a used Cobb downpipe for less than what the Rev9 would have set me back.

Wise words here.. I had to go full time to keep up with this car lol I do have a Rev 9 DP no issues but I always kept a eye out searching.. the key is make sure to hit the problem spots or you are going to be very sorry when the motor blows..

I've been looking to find a high flow cat downpipe for a 5EAT.

I know everyone will say not to cheap out on this but i don't have a lot of money to work with as i'm only 18 and make minimum wage. I've seen the REV9 get a lot of respect for its high flow cat version but that's only for manual transmission. Every auto transmission high flow cat downpipe for this car is 500+. If anyone knows of anything please do let me know.

You can gut out the first cat in your downpipe. (no charge) if you do it yourself.

You also have to get your car tune because of it.(necessary)

Don't get paranoid, it will destroy yah.

You can do it. Welcome!

Don't get paranoid, it will destroy yah.

You can do it. Welcome!

I missed a banjo behind the passenger side head it took out the replacement turbo in under 520 miles. During the tear down I said WTF out loud because I thought I got them all. It was so full of crap holding up to the sun you hardly able to see much of any light passing through.

All this talk about the banjo filter, here work I just opened my desk drawer, I still have the one from before the turbo in drawer. It was removed February 2011 it’s about half full of crap

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

sample kit as in one for Blackstone Labs ?

You send them a sample of the oil you drain out after the car has warmed up for a bit.

Yes, you remove the filter from the banjo bolt. The front one can be removed if you cut the top off the bolt. HAMMERDOWN did a great DIY years ago.

If your car has had a blown turbo, I would wait until you get a good report from Blackstone before removing the filters.

I have had both filters removed for over 105,000 miles.

I use Amsoil 5w-40 European Classic and their oil filters and do 7000 mile oil changes after hearing back from Blackstone about my oil.

Well i've done around 5 oil changes and haven't experienced any problems, when the turbo went the car was stopped immediately and limped home at like 5mph, im about to do an oil change today and swap to 5w40, should i just get rid of the last two filters?

Yes, no need to keep oil used oil filters...unless your going to cut them open to inspect them.

Still for the $35 a full sample test results from Blackstone Labs, will be worth lots of piece of mind.

Yes, no need to keep oil used oil filters...unless your going to cut them open to inspect them.

Still for the $35 a full sample test results from Blackstone Labs, will be worth lots of piece of mind.

I meant the banjo bolt filters haha. Shouls i get rid of them ive done about 5 or so oil changes like i said and havent had a problem.

Again, I'll say have Blackstone give you a oil sample results.

If your banjo filters keep being clean, then yes I would remove them.

Archived