LegacyGT.com

6mt forester sti swap

Big difference between this and the spec b is the locking diffs, spec b is open. Its definitely a pricey swap once you round up all the stuff but it was definitely worth it for the setup I had. I think I got the trans/dif axles for $3500 though. But make sure to do the math on a clutch, sti master cylinder, auto or spec b drive shaft, and rear axles. It adds up fast. 

On 8/28/2023 at 1:14 PM, chato said:

Big difference between this and the spec b is the locking diffs, spec b is open. Its definitely a pricey swap once you round up all the stuff but it was definitely worth it for the setup I had. I think I got the trans/dif axles for $3500 though. But make sure to do the math on a clutch, sti master cylinder, auto or spec b drive shaft, and rear axles. It adds up fast. 

I’ve found a JDM Spec B swap kit with axles, rear diff, driveshaft, trans, control arms and other various mounts (mine are rusted to shit so I wouldn’t mind this) for $3500. I think this is the way to go for me. I won’t have the Spec B gears but for $3500, I’m sure getting a lot. Also, has low mileage since it’s from Japan :))

Plus, with the money I’m saving by not going with the FSTI swap, I could always put in hardened racing gears with better ratios. 

However, it’s a 6 speed off of the 2005 3.0 Spec B. So I might be running into some compatibility issues again smh.

I can get all that off a USDM car for far less.  There is a 08 SpecB with TWO SpecB 6MT's/driveshafts/axles/rear diffs and TWO complete interiors, but no running engine and I was offered the entire car for $2k.  With the cost of a tow/haul its still under $3500 and look at all the extras. 

Dont know why people are still enamored with JDM junkyard parts.  You can get far more stateside if you just take the time to look. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2023 at 11:41 AM, m sprank said:

Dont know why people are still enamored with JDM junkyard parts.  You can get far more stateside if you just take the time to look. 

Maybe for where you live, but not here in Michigan. I’ve looked for USDM Spec B swaps but haven’t found any at all, especially ones that are 100k miles or less. 

On 9/2/2023 at 10:54 AM, sleepy2.5 said:

I’ve found a JDM Spec B swap kit with axles, rear diff, driveshaft, trans, control arms and other various mounts (mine are rusted to shit so I wouldn’t mind this) for $3500. I think this is the way to go for me. I won’t have the Spec B gears but for $3500, I’m sure getting a lot. Also, has low mileage since it’s from Japan :))

Plus, with the money I’m saving by not going with the FSTI swap, I could always put in hardened racing gears with better ratios. 

However, it’s a 6 speed off of the 2005 3.0 Spec B. So I might be running into some compatibility issues again smh.

As long as it is BP/BL that will all be fine, no compatibility issues, unless there is some mystery trans speed sensor incompatibility, which would be super-unlikely and easy enough to fix anyway.

FWIW the car and 6MT's M Sprank was talking about were NJ from memory? So, even if you're on the far side of Michigan, shipping wouldn't be too bad. Probably higher mileage, but you'd be gettitng a complete car and driveline + the spare trans. I would call that a deal, and (if the price holds) a meanigfully better deal than $3500 for a bare driveline.

By all means, the JDM low mileage stuff isn't a bad option, but it you're willing to take some time to part the car, might be worth considering. You'd end up a couple grand ahead, most likely.

Yes, sir.  1 car in Jersey and 1 car in RI.  Car in Jersey has 2 trannies and 2 interiors.  I am in WV, so shipping to Michigan is not much more than to me.  I was going to buy both and 1 running car to build 1 monster from the 3 (with enough spare parts to keep things going for a bit).

Edited by m sprank

5 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Yes, sir.  1 car in Jersey and 1 car in RI.  Car in Jersey has 2 trannies and 2 interiors.  I am in WV, so shipping to Michigan is not much more than to me.  I was going to buy both and 1 running car to build 1 monster from the 3 (with enough spare parts to keep things going for a bit).

Spec B's are pretty and all, but... let's be real here: Gotta be a wagon.

Didn't mean to step on toes, if you're angling to make something from those with the 4Runner winnings. Just chatting. If I had any money at all right now, I would have looked into those.

Cheers!

I hear you.  Could not find a wagon, so I did not pull the trigger.  Wanted the SpecB's for the 6MT's and aluminium (euro, eh?) bits.  Plan was to build a race wagon. 

There is a 71 240z ALL ORIGINAL with very little body work done during restoration for sale locally.  $28k.  Its an automatic or I and the 4Runner money would have separated ways.  So, Fanatec got a chunk of my money and I continue to upgrade my virtual car.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, blackobxt said:

Man I remember when you could snag a 240z for under a grand with a little bit of searching through an auto trader or a decent one for like $1,500

Made the 'smart' decision not to buy the complete, running, original engine '72 240Z I wanted to buy at the end of highschool. Put the money towards a University degree instead. $2500 CAD

Several years later: Couldn't get to Ottawa fast enough to pick up the 280 engine swapped '74 240 with a newer 5 speed swap. $3700

Two years ago: Lost a race to pick up/small bid contest on a '73 240 in peices, sitting outdoors, but parts all in boxes. Buddies daughters boyfriend though and S30 chassis would make a great drift car. Thankfully he got in way over his head and gave up, saving the car: $5000.+

When I finally decided that S30's were probably forever out of my price range, I switch gears and went the second coolest 70's JDM chassis car, in my mind: Datsun PL 510. Found a 5 speed swapped wagon with an L20b in it for ~$5000 CAD, on coilover and *slightly* lowered rear springs. Great. 10 days later they closed the border due to covid. I should be able to get the thing shipped up here maybe next month? 3 years later.

On the plus side, even in rough shape, it's probably worth 2-3 times what I payed for it now. Old JDM cars have gone off the rails on price. I sort of want that to collapse a little so I can maybe get a restored S30 for less than selling a kidney type money....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blackobxt said:

Man I remember when you could snag a 240z for under a grand with a little bit of searching through an auto trader or a decent one for like $1,500

1990-1992.  I had my eye on a 72 240z in town for a few years. It went up for sale in late 91. I was still a senior and living at home. Dad said F yeah and mom said F no. F no it was. F you on that one mom. I built a turbo b13 sentra instead. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Go get 'er @m sprank!!

That is sweet looking Z. 280 swap is nice, and hard to see the difference casually. (Inclusion of the OG 2.4L is a bonus.)

Not much to do but drive it, lol! I think I'd want one of the later 5 speeds, but that is hardly a thing and they are cheap and easy to source.

Let us know!! Maybe start a thread somewhere else.... "Other Cars, vs. the Legacy etc.."?  We have well and truly threadjacked the poor OPs topic of the 6MT swap.

2 hours ago, m sprank said:

Yo @KZJonny!!!  Going to check this out TODAY!!!!  It is about 1 hour from my house.  Cash is in hand. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/978173240088771/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

If you bring that to an ECM, I'll have to bring the PL510. I can claim ignorance and that I mixed up BL and PL... Oops.

Ah. Fair. I don't really use Facebook, so it's a pain in the ass to have to log in a look at these things.

Tho, me being me, I did a quick Google when I saw that thing, and there is decent condition 280Z in my town, for the low low price of $12K CAD. Actually not bad, but still... *sigh* makes more more and more angry that I didn't grab any of the other ones I'd looked at over the years....

Hopefully we hear what the deal was, or maybe just that the ad should have been pulled?

• Like 1

I looked at three cars.  71 240z automatic, 72 240z mt and a 78 280z mt.  All asking in the $30k range. 

I realize that finding the perfect car is not going to happen within my budget.  I saw good and bad in all three.  The good outweighed the bad.  The prices make me reconsider and the wife has laid into me fairly hard.  I would never admit to a "mid-life crisis" purchase as I have made those regularly since financial solvency.  But the wife has a point that nothing I am looking at is "practical".  All the cars are garage queens and I need a daily.  I hate it when what I dont want makes sense and what I do want is obviously a poor decision.  If I was 10 years younger (ie, no kids) I would already have driven the 72 home. 

So rather than jump off the deep end, I am taking a step back.  Buying nothing and keeping my eyes open.  Will be looking for a cheap truck or SUV while I wait it out.  Something "practical" that runs would leave me the open loop hole.

• Like 4

Your quest for a wagon makes more sense to me now. I thought you just wanted another to have something to occupy yourself with (ie, a fun car). Mines a great daily for me with two little ones…plus it has a good amount of cargo space. I got extremely lucky with that one, and I get it. Sometimes I see other cars that I think are more practical…even moreso than my wagon (and newer and in much less need of attention/repair). Having a nice, reliable daily does make a big difference and helps when you want to have just a fun car. 

Edited by SoobyDoobyDoo