LegacyGT.com

How many splines on your shaft?

Hello, recently ran into an issue trying to replace the right rear axle shaft on my 2005 subaru legacy 2.5i wagon MT. No stores around had them in stock, so I opted for a $35 junkyard axle. It came from a 2006 legacy 2.5i, MT (double checked the VIN provided on the junkyard receipt.) However, I go to install it and it wont fit. The length is identical, outside/wheel hub splines are the same, but the inside splines (into diff) are not. The axle removed from my car has 25 teeth, the axle I was given has 22 (or 23 cant remember anymore).

Has anyone had an issue with replacing this part?

Can anyone confirm that the 06 and 05 share axle shaft part numbers?

Also, from what I've read the left and right axles are the same part #.

Any input is appreciated, stuck on the lift for a week now :spin:

Thanks for that ^. However, it still is a bit confusing. According to my local subaru parts dept., there was a break somewhere in the middle of the '06 year where the rear axle shaft part # changed. I'm assuming I must have gotten the updated axle being that it did not fit my Legacy. He did let me know that the turbo cars shared the part #'s with non-turbos, so that is helpful.

Using parts.subaru, I was able to see this application info for the rear axle, copied below. It doesn't really make sense that they are different, but this would explain the fitment issue I'm having. The sedan and wagon part #'s only interchange for the m.y.05., not 06 or later. Maybe i will have to source a MT wagon shaft specifically...

Subaru Legacy 2.5L 5MT 4WD Ltd 2005

Subaru Legacy 2.5L 5MT 4WD Ltd Wagon 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

I'm thinking that axle you got was mismarked and came from an AT legacy, it might have even had the wrong vin attached to it.. It looks like you might be able to order one from napa, I'd give that a try..

Everything I've read says that the MT's should have 25 splines, and it's the AT's that have 22 splines.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this up because I have a quick question regarding the rear axle spline counts as well and there is conflicting info everywhere and time is of the essence since the rear hub/axle is apart right now.

Are the 5eat and 5mt rear axles the same for an 05 LGT? Mine is 5eat, but the splines are 25/25.

FujiHeavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru, is currently in a partial partnership with ToyotaMotor Corporation, which owns 16.5% of FHI.

Subaru is the Japanese name for the Pleiades star cluster, which in turn inspires the Subaru logo and alludes to the five companies that merged to create FHI. The word "subaru" means "united" in Japanese, and Fuji Heavy Industries has used the term to describe how the Pleiades constellation is a unification of the stars. Fuji Heavy Industries is therefore a constellation of companies united together.

Meaning of this is 5 manufacturers involve in building the underchassis of our Subaru’s that’s why we’re always having those mismatch issues with the parts that we need. It is clear that there’s a random of vehicles mixed together depending on which manufacturer it belongs. Your best source is the dealership for exact fitment, but 90% of our members here like me avoid stealership, second is remanufactured. I changed my differential lately and I have the same issue which I need to get another differential and the second one fits in, the one I got is reconditioned still running great.

Archived