LegacyGT.com

Auto to manual conversion

It has been done but it's stupid hard and you basically need an entire manual trans donor car sitting next to yours for it to be practical.

Sell yours and buy a manual if that's what you want. Take the manual trans car apart and put it back together if after trading you feel like you missed out on a life enriching experience.

Only case where that would be even feasible to think of is if you have an auto with a pristine body and shot transmission and a manual with a destroyed body and great transmission+engine.

It's important to transplant the full driveline and electrical system if that kind of operation shall be successful - so it's more like swapping body on the car than changing the transmission.

453747.png

I just swapped my 07 2.5i this spring, it was pretty easy maybe a few more steps than pulling the engine. The time consuming part is finding all the parts since I did not have a donor. I used a $300 2013 forester 5mt and clutch/flywheel. 2012 wrx pedals, shifter and trans h crossmember mount. legacy gt 5mt driveshaft and LSD differential and rear axles. Front axles between 4eat and 5mt are the same not sure about 5eat. You'll need to look at part diagrams to figure out what bolt hardware you will need such as flywheel bolts etc. Check Craigslist, eBay and car-part.com as well as the partout classifieds here for parts. Most components are interchangeable between 08-12 wrx, impreza. And 09-13 forester besides the cross member. You will also need a tactrix cable to flash the manual ROM to your auto ecu. There's like 3 or 4 wires you need to modify if you don't want to spend the time and money on a manual harness.

Yes it does, I did have a neutral position switch throwing a trouble code and never figured out what the issue was with that but it ran fine so I just deleted the trouble code with the tactrix and romraider and cruise works fine just as before. I even wired up the both clutch switches correctly as it would from factory. The brake light switch was updated in 2008 at least on the wrx pedal if not the legacy also so the connector was different from my 07 and had to make my own using spade connectors. I did not try running the manual with the automatic rom, but the manual rom from the same year will flash. I did have to use an outback rom on mine for 07 for some strange reason as the legacy rom would not flash. Shouldn't be a problem for other years Edited by klrtovfr

Yes it does, I did have a neutral position switch throwing a trouble code and never figured out what the issue was with that but it ran fine so I just deleted the trouble code with the tactrix and romraider and cruise works fine just as before. I even wired up the both clutch switches correctly as it would from factory. The brake light switch was updated in 2008 at least on the wrx pedal if not the legacy also so the connector was different from my 07 and had to make my own using spade connectors. I did not try running the manual with the automatic rom, but the manual rom from the same year will flash. I did have to use an outback rom on mine for 07 for some strange reason as the legacy rom would not flash. Shouldn't be a problem for other years

don't know if this helps. i blew my 05 5sp tranny. so i found a 06 5sp tranny and installed it. couldn't get the cruise to work. in researching i found the cruise switch on the trannys doesn't work on 06+ trannys. they are reversed position. 05 switch is open at start and the 06+ switch is closed at start. so i bought a 06 switch and it works fine.

• 3 years later...

I swapped my 05 OBXT to a 6MT from a spec B. I don't think I ever got cruise control working. I am now trying to swap this over to a new 08 AT body I just got. I can't get any answers on this yet so I'll ask here.

For an 08, do you still ground an ecu AT/MT identifier pin and flash the computer to an MT version from the same year? Or does the 08/09 32 bit ecu and newer canbus platform prevent this method from working? 05-09 often referred to as synonymous, but there was a big change to 08/09, and I can't speak to the 07 transition year.

Anyway, I'd love to have a successful 6MT on my new 08 OBXT. I'd love some direction. Thanks!

I swapped my 05 OBXT to a 6MT from a spec B. I don't think I ever got cruise control working. I am now trying to swap this over to a new 08 AT body I just got. I can't get any answers on this yet so I'll ask here.

For an 08, do you still ground an ecu AT/MT identifier pin and flash the computer to an MT version from the same year? Or does the 08/09 32 bit ecu and newer canbus platform prevent this method from working? 05-09 often referred to as synonymous, but there was a big change to 08/09, and I can't speak to the 07 transition year.

Anyway, I'd love to have a successful 6MT on my new 08 OBXT. I'd love some direction. Thanks!

I have a Spec B 6 speed in my 08 with functional cruise but I bought it that way and it was originally a MT car. If you think pics of anything or a copy of my ROM file will help you, PM me and I'll get you whatever I can.

• 1 month later...

I'd love to see what you did to get this working because I'd love to swap in an STi DCCD 6mt. If it helps, I have an 05 LGT, and there's conflicting info. "You need a harness and TCU" to the info found here. If I have to stick with my 5eat, so be it, but that DCCD looks oh so juicy.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Yes it does, I did have a neutral position switch throwing a trouble code and never figured out what the issue was with that but it ran fine so I just deleted the trouble code with the tactrix and romraider and cruise works fine just as before. I even wired up the both clutch switches correctly as it would from factory. The brake light switch was updated in 2008 at least on the wrx pedal if not the legacy also so the connector was different from my 07 and had to make my own using spade connectors. I did not try running the manual with the automatic rom, but the manual rom from the same year will flash. I did have to use an outback rom on mine for 07 for some strange reason as the legacy rom would not flash. Shouldn't be a problem for other years
Meant to reply to this. Oops. But yeah, I'd love to know how you did the swap!

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk