LegacyGT.com

Alignment issues/ rear camber is off

Noticed my 2015 legacy was pulling to the right and took it in for an alignment. They showed me that my front end was way out of whack and the right rear has camber of -2.0. I get the car back and it is still pulling to the right. Will that right rear camber issue cause the pulling to the right? How do I go about fixing that? I’ve read a little bit and seems like it may be bushings or springs, but thought I would ask the gurus on here first. If needed, I can attach my alignment print out later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rear camber is unlikely creating a drift or pull. Rear camber is easily correctable with Specialty Products rear control arms. Unless the front cross caster is way out you could also have a tire pull. Try cross rotating the front tires to see if the pull goes away. A snap shot of the final settings would be helpful.

Noticed my 2015 legacy was pulling to the right and took it in for an alignment. They showed me that my front end was way out of whack and the right rear has camber of -2.0. I get the car back and it is still pulling to the right. Will that right rear camber issue cause the pulling to the right? How do I go about fixing that? I’ve read a little bit and seems like it may be bushings or springs, but thought I would ask the gurus on here first. If needed, I can attach my alignment print out later today.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the past I have had a similar scenario with a previous car after an alignment. After picking the car up and immediately realising that there was still a problem, I turned straight around and returned to the service provider. That way they are obligated to fix what I initially went to them for. If you don't returm immediately, then maybe you run the risk of them saying "it was OK when we had it ... what have you done since?" So I'd suggest you get it back to the dealer (or whoever did the alignment) and take it for a drive with one of their technicians aboard, and show them the problem that they didn't fix.

Rear camber is unlikely creating a drift or pull. Rear camber is easily correctable with Specialty Products rear control arms. Unless the front cross caster is way out you could also have a tire pull. Try cross rotating the front tires to see if the pull goes away. A snap shot of the final settings would be helpful.

2231cd1167da919571f312608724f95c.jpg

I used Moog adjustable front and lower links to get the alignment I wanted (0.0 toe and -0.5* camber at all four corners); they have the adjustment range to fix your camber issue. They were relatively inexpensive from Rock Auto. You'll probably only need the lower link to fix the camber, assuming the toe isn't maxed out already..

informenter-marker-1.png

• 2 weeks later...
fd6977b6948c54868272d247e855dd42.jpg

I have the exact same issue with my right rear camber. I looked under there when I took the wheels off to clean a few weeks back and didn't see any damage or anything that looked different from the other side.

I'd be interested to hear what you find on your end.

IMG_20180719_0810495.thumb.jpg.7e17552ab9764d2e4c644ee9abba1441.jpg

I have since taken it to a second alignment shop for assessment. They found that the rear camber was barely within normal spec, however rear toe was out of alignment and they also said the tires had significant wear problems. They did correct the alignment according to their machine, which did slightly improve the pulling to the right. After a second time back to that shop, they swapped the front tires and this significantly corrected the pulling to the right and the drift is very mild to the left now. They are assuming it is a tire wear issue and will be contacting the tire manufacture to help with prorating reimbursement for new tires.

Alignment from second shop: 746cbe2bd00292522f9117d142e771b5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had the opposite happen. Just put a new set of Yoko Advans on the 3.6R at 52k. Still had the original LS2's, worn evenly, with some tread left. One tire had one plug, one tire had two plugs, one an inside patch, and I think there may have been a very slow leak because it popped the TPMS one day.

Brought it in to the dealer for an oil change, rear brakes and alignment. Never had one done before because the car always tracked straight and tires worn evenly, rotated every 6k. Got the car back and it was pulling to the left and the steering wheel was cocked to the right. Brought it back to the dealer and they said the right rear settings were off and showed me the before and after report.

Still putting to the left and steering wheel still crooked. Brought it back a second time, they swapped the front tires and made some adjustments all around. Steering wheel is centered again and now tracks straight.

I had the opposite happen. Just put a new set of Yoko Advans on the 3.6R at 52k. Still had the original LS2's, worn evenly, with some tread left. One tire had one plug, one tire had two plugs, one an inside patch, and I think there may have been a very slow leak because it popped the TPMS one day.

Brought it in to the dealer for an oil change, rear brakes and alignment. Never had one done before because the car always tracked straight and tires worn evenly, rotated every 6k. Got the car back and it was pulling to the left and the steering wheel was cocked to the right. Brought it back to the dealer and they said the right rear settings were off and showed me the before and after report.

Still putting to the left and steering wheel still crooked. Brought it back a second time, they swapped the front tires and made some adjustments all around. Steering wheel is centered again and now tracks straight.

I once had an identical thing happen. It was not with a Subaru, but just at local tire shop. I don't understand what these clowns are thinking. They say they took it for a test drive after the alignment???? They fixed it after I brought it back 5 minutes later and sat in the car and showed them the problem. Needless to say I never used them again.

I had the tires installed at Town Fair Tire in Nashua, NH. They are awesome and their prices can't be beat. I researched the hell out of tires before settling on the Yoko's and got the best Internet price and they still managed to beat out the lowest price, and installed at that!

I didn't opt for the alignment because I wanted the Subie Dealer to do that because I know they have a decent machine and I never had issues with any other Subaru.

The Dealer knows me and made it all good!

• 2 months later...

Update:

I ended up getting new tires for the winter and took it to a new shop. They said after tires were installed, they noticed steering was way off and they did an alignment and corrected the steering and now it drives like a gem. They said it was likely a poor alignment job where the tires were not straight when put into the alignment machine.

Update:

I ended up getting new tires for the winter and took it to a new shop. They said after tires were installed, they noticed steering was way off and they did an alignment and corrected the steering and now it drives like a gem. They said it was likely a poor alignment job where the tires were not straight when put into the alignment machine.

Give Beamercub the address of that "new shop" :)

Archived