LegacyGT.com

Died while driving (including loss of power steering), won't start now

Hi All,

05' 2.5i with 125k Miles with a non-starting car.

No prior issues with the car since owning it for 1.5 years.

While driving on the highway, car randomly loses power including power steering, but did not lose electronics.

It happened after going over a mild bump, legitimately a minor bump that did not shake the car or anything which causes me to be skeptical that its related but I figured I would include backstory.

Pull over, nothing seems out of place so I try to start again and nada. Tow home :((((.

No CEL or poor performance prior to this event. No loss of trip counter or presets, and its a new battery so Im doubtful its a battery issue?

Cranks fine!

Troubleshooting:

- Checked belts, crank pulley and all looks in good condition. No signs that belts jumped off. Since I was driving when it died and power steering went out at the same time, first guess was belts came off/failed.

- Checked timing belt, had a weird film on some of it almost like tape residue? Still intact and looks to be in good condition but maybe im wrong.

- Check battery with multimeter and put on good voltage, even when trying to start.

- Sprayed starter fluid in throttle bottle, still no start. but I can hear the fuel pump working, so hopefully not a fuel issue.

Current hypothesis: No idea lol. I'm thinking weird electronic glitch that I won't be able to figure out.

Recent events:

Replaced timing belt at 100k

New battery <1000 miles

Trying to troubleshoot it, but its feeling more and more like I need to find a mechanic (any West LA recommendations would be appreciated!)

Let me know if you guys have any guesses, thanks!

does the starter crank? or is it nothing or nothing but clicks? There are many levels to not starting lol, I love when people say it doesn't start....

Did you check all your fuses? The ones in car and under hood.

Any check engine lights??

Details my friend, DETAILS!!!!

hahah sorry for vague opening.

Cranks fine! Just won't turn over (not sure if turn over is still right word for it).

Checked all the fuses that seemed relevant (starters), but I guess I should check all.

I was being dumb and didnt realize the CEL is now on, I don't have a reader and its MT so I need connect the connectors to display the error code.

crank and turnover are the same thing! means the starter is able to turn the motor, but in your case it turns over but doesn't start.

yes check all your fuses especially the ones under hood.

no messages on the odometer?

If all that is fine, seems like spark or fuel.

Something may have jarred something loose or shorted something out. But from my experience no start and no cel leads me to suspect the fuel pump, maybe fuel pressure regulator, electrical problems usually trigger a cel, mechanical is more like your case.

Connected the diagnostic connectors and no codes. Which I guess is good but still gotta search for the issue.

--edit-- with no codes, still possible to have crank sensor issues?

Ill plan on testing the crank sensor. Need to dig a little more to find out all the ground locations.

Thanks already for the help guys.

Also while I'm thinking(rambling), if it was a fuel or spark issue I can't understand why the car would shut off abruptly, with no stutter/putter etc., and why the power steering would quit at the same time. But maybe this is my lack of knowledge showing.

--Never ending edit--

Checked Cam and Crank sensor, and both seemed to reading appropriate ohms (2.2k).

When the car is off and you switch the key to the first or second ignition position without turning it on, do you hear the fuel pump whirring under the rear seat?

Yep, fuel pump is whirring in the ignition positions.

Do the cam gears turn when you try to start the engine?

Yeah all cam gears are turning when starting.

The guess relating to timing was correct, unfortunately.

Shop called, and one of the belts jumped a teeth. They were able to get the car started but won't stay running due to misfires on 2 cylinders.

My options are to have them do a valve & gasket job for $2300 to replace the presumably bent valves and hope the pistons are ok, or to have a 60k engine put in for $4200....

No real great answer here. Im not sure how fair the pricing is for the valve & gasket job but Im not sure how many other options I have.

I hope to god the people who replaced your timing belt aren't the same people giving u this quote!

Different shops, im not familiar with how easy it is for timing to come out of sync but the current shop hasnt mentioned anything regarding poor install of timing belt.

Easy Teh, that TB job was 25K miles ago. A lot could have happened since then...

Those prices are pretty reasonable, but you can maybe beat them. Call around.

Well thats good to hear, thanks for the input. If it comes to be an engine replacement, its not worth the money for me to replace it and I'd probably sell the shell :(

Something I totally forgot to mention was that when I was looking the belts I noticed that the slider bolt was not threaded into the lock bolt. The slider bolt was too big it looked like. AL0SsCv.png

I wasnt really thinking about it but maybe that bolt not being actually attached to the lock bolt allowed the tension to drop which then would have let it fall out of time??? too little too late cause I didnt notice until it was already dead.

That's just the tension for the accessories belt, nothing to do with the timing belt. Timing belt has a auto tensioner. If you bought a cheap timing belt kit the tensioners are known to go. You would hear a winning sound before it completely failed though.

The shop may be blowing smoke as well. Also these cars when the batteries are disconnected need to relearn throttle position and will stall until learned. I had that happened to my '07. Until it relearned the throttle position it kept on stalling on me. this is die to the electronic throttle control.

---

Archived