LegacyGT.com

EyeSight problem

So today out of the blue this happened. No issues previously but today I start my car and I get these warning lights. Before I take it in to my Subaru dealer, has anyone had the EyeSight light pop up on their screen? Maybe a fuse specific to operation of the EyeSight?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/kazoobers/20180828_164309_zpsqlk76088.jpg

Did EyeSight resume normal operation after a few minutes?

The most common cause of EyeSight stops is when there is not enough detail in the visual field for the EyeSight cameras to obtain a high-confidence lock. Where were you parked? Was the windshield fogged? Was it foggy outside, raining heavily, or was there poor visual contrast? Was anything blocking the view of one of the cameras? Have you checked the EyeSight manual?

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Just to add....was it in direct sun shine or parked near mirror window building glaring directly towards the Eyesight Cameras.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

To explain further. The White EyeSight icon is an EyeSight temporary stop condition & EyeSight should automatically restart after the cause has been eliminated. The previous posts gave some examples. A pitch black night with nothing either side of the road that EyeSight can recognise can also cause this when using only low beam.

However if it was a Yellow EyeSight icon it would be an EyeSight failure.

In either case selecting ‘i’ via the centre toggle switch at about the 7:30 position under the steering wheel will give more information about the condition.

You can read all about it in the Eyesight User Manual.

As someone who's been hacking around the Subaru and working with eyesight a lot maybe I can give some guidance. Typically under the conditions above where it can't see its a white "eyesight" logo and will say "no camera view" If "eyesight" was flashing it would be a fuse failure (check 38 & 19 in cabin) usually with a catastrophic failure you will get other warnings like transmission but I dont see the "at oil temp" light on). From what I can guess as long as its not flashing the car either needs reset or that check engine code is causing eyesight to disable & check fuse 38 & 19 inside the cabin to the left or right of the steering column (corresponding what side drive it is)

Sounds like you need to take the car to the eye doctor. You probably just need a new prescription. :lol:

Anyways, I would just confirm the fuses are good. It's not really normal for them to blow, but it could just have been a one time thing that you can fix for cheap on your own if the dealer is far away from you. If you can't figure out the issue you obviously know to take it to the dealer and I'm curious to see if they try to fix it or just give you a new system and send yours off to their engineers to figure out what went wrong.

I personally have only ever gotten the white "Eyesight" with the slash over it to come up signaling that it cannot "see."

Thanks for the replies so far.

The lights came on when I started the car in my garage a couple days ago. Weather and/or a dirty windshield are not the culprit in this case. Note that the check engine light is also on. I understand that if it comes on then the EyeSight feature is automatically disabled.

Just prior to the lights coming on I had an oil change done and gassed up. I checked the gas cap and re-tightened. Drove around for a day and the lights are still on.

Next step will be to check fuses and put a OBD scanner on to check the codes.

Checked fuses - OK. Got an OBD scan done and code came up as major emissions leak. Checked air cleaner and hoses and all was good. Codes were cleared and after driving around for a day and a half, everything is good, the warning lights have not come back on. Maybe the re-tightening of the gas cap was all it needed.

The lights came back! After clearing codes the lights came back on after a couple days. I didn't know what to do next so off to the dealer I went. They diagnosed it and told me the gas cap was defective. The seal inside of the cap had deteriorated and caused the major evaporation leak.

I just put on a new cap so hopefully that fixed the issue.

Check the seals on your gas cap!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/kazoobers/20180905_143300_zpsgs328elp.jpg

I don't want to make my own post about this, so I was hoping to sneak in here and ask a quick question about eyesight, lane keeping assist, and all that..

When driving, I often have to cross over the two yellow lines in order to pass cyclists. What would eyesight do in that situation? Would it start beeping, and would the steering try to pull me back into the lane? I know I could just go test drive a car with eyesight, but I don't really want to do that just yet.

I don't want to make my own post about this, so I was hoping to sneak in here and ask a quick question about eyesight, lane keeping assist, and all that..

When driving, I often have to cross over the two yellow lines in order to pass cyclists. What would eyesight do in that situation? Would it start beeping, and would the steering try to pull me back into the lane? I know I could just go test drive a car with eyesight, but I don't really want to do that just yet.

LKA operates in two states. By default, when the car is started it is passive. Meaning in your example it would be beep and show a visual warning in the instrument cluster. If you press the button on the steering wheel, it becomes active lane keep and will display an icon in the instrument cluster. When in active mode, it will attempt to physically keep you in your lane if its “locked” onto the lines. With direct driver input, it will not override your steering. But when you start to drift, it will attempt to pull back into the center of your lane.

It was weird at first because the steering wheel moves slightly to get you centered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it will beep, it will try to steer you back into your lane if you cross the center lines to steer around a cyclist.

But this automatic correction is not all powerful, you can easily steer against it when you need to steer around a cyclist/runner, etc.

It is mainly for when you aren't paying attention, and drift a bit toward the line, the steering will correct for you, you will feel it, but in that case you won't be fighting it since it will be helping you go where you need to go.

When you go to exit the highway, if you don't signal, you will also have to add some oomph to the steering wheel, which again is easily done when it is purposeful.

Edited by upstater

When you go to exit the highway, if you don't signal, you will also have to add some oomph to the steering wheel, which again is easily done when it is purposeful.

Or you could just use them blinkers since we pour so much blinker fluid anyway :-p

Back to OP, If you signal before you get close to the lane markings, it won't fight you.

You didn't specify what year of vehicle you were interested in, so just to be clear the Eyesight in my 2015 will only beep when you cross over a marked lane plus give you the visual warning. This year does not have lane keeping assist.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... so I’m having the same exact problem and unfortunately this happened months within my 3 year warranty mark. Updates on what happened? I noticed the lights came on after I last filled up gas actually. Now they won’t go away... also how are the gas caps related to an eyesight malfunction light?

The lights came back! After clearing codes the lights came back on after a couple days. I didn't know what to do next so off to the dealer I went. They diagnosed it and told me the gas cap was defective. The seal inside of the cap had deteriorated and caused the major evaporation leak.

I just put on a new cap so hopefully that fixed the issue.

Check the seals on your gas cap!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/kazoobers/20180905_143300_zpsgs328elp.jpg

Ok... so I’m having the same exact problem and unfortunately this happened months within my 3 year warranty mark. Updates on what happened? I noticed the lights came on after I last filled up gas actually. Now they won’t go away... also how are the gas caps related to an eyesight malfunction light?

All I did was replace the gas cap and that fixed the problem. Because the seal was broken inside the gas cap, it caused the check engine light to come on. I was told that when the check engine light comes on, it will automatically cancel all EyeSight features, including the adaptive cruise control, and therefore the EyeSight light also appears. Check the inside of your gas cap and if the seal looks worn or torn, replace it. I got a replacement gas cap at an auto store for $12.

If the gas cap does not seal properly it will throw an engine code. Eyesight disables in the event of a check engine code for safety reasons. Ironically eyesight does not disable upon an airbag fault code tho.

I had the Eye Sight warning once, same as yours, when driving in very heavy rain. It cleared as soon as the rain let up. I could hardly see to drive and had to slow down to a crawl so I'm not surprised the system couldn't make sense of the front view either.

• 2 years later...
As someone who's been hacking around the Subaru and working with eyesight a lot maybe I can give some guidance. Typically under the conditions above where it can't see its a white "eyesight" logo and will say "no camera view" If "eyesight" was flashing it would be a fuse failure (check 38 & 19 in cabin) usually with a catastrophic failure you will get other warnings like transmission but I dont see the "at oil temp" light on). From what I can guess as long as its not flashing the car either needs reset or that check engine code is causing eyesight to disable & check fuse 38 & 19 inside the cabin to the left or right of the steering column (corresponding what side drive it is)

My car is exhibiting exactly the condition BSheaffer has described. I truly hope it is not a catastrophic failure.

My 2017 2.5iPremium, 144K miles has been running fine since I bought it in April 2020. However, last Sunday, I spun the wheels for a fraction of a second turning into traffic from an uphill off-ramp. Within a few seconds, all these lights came on (as shown in the OP's photo plus the AT oil temp). I drove about 2 miles home with no issues. All the lights came back on when I restarted the car several hours later, and again the following morning. I haven't driven the car since or had a chance yet to take the car in. Is there any way for me to reset the codes to see if the problem is temporary? I have the Carista OBD reader but it doesn't work with 2017+ Legacy.

Could it be a CVT issue? I am reading of CVT warranty repair for cars exhibiting this condition (by the way, the VDC light is also ON).

"diagnosis: replace trans valve body (found DTC P0971-Transfer Solenoid Circuit (High))"

Thanks a lot for your help!

Edited by comotiger