LegacyGT.com

Fuel Pump

So I got a code P0183 which is fuel temp sensor high circuit etc....I pulled my back seat out and checked the fuel pump because after my car died on me while driving I couldn't hear the fuel pump priming itslef like usual. As you can see from the pictures both the main line and the connection on the fuel pump assembly overheated and got burned which obviously isn't good.

I'm posting to ask, one am I correct in assuming that I need to replace the entire fuel pump assembly? I can't imagine I can one get my hands on the top part with the connection on it. And secondly I see a part nunber on the main connection from the car but will I have to cut it and splice on a new one? Any advise would be nice on where to start. Just don't wanna spend money where I don't have too, New assembly is expensive enough as is and I still haven't even gotten my suspension problem fixed....[emoji30]

8d9b93a040839e1662dbad191e9f76bb.jpg

bcfc6c38d3f216dbd4cc899addee22ff.jpg

0813f1c498ccdb21290cb28c9047b823.jpg

The best and easiest way to repair it would be to replace the fuel pump and splice a new harness in.

These guys make wiring harnesses for Subaru's.

https://www.iwireservices.com/

I don't know if they have what you need, but I think they will custom make things if you need it. I used them to replace a bad TGV harness for my wife's XT and it worked great.

The problem is either a short in the circuit or bad connection between the connectors.

If it's bad connectors then try this:

I have, in the past, cleaned up all the connectors, pushed the connectors on the harness more towards the closed position and slather it all with dielectric grease before I put it back together. That is only if I have no money and need to get back on the road. Then fix it the right way when I get money. It doesn't always work, but if you gotta get to work it's worth a try.

If it's a short in the circuit, you need to find that, repair it and then repair the connectors.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that information. I'm not too good at splicing so hopefully I can find somebody in the community here that can assist me with that. Do you have a method on how to clean the harness and everything? Should I use like alchol and q-tip? Thanks again [emoji1431]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Splicing the connector in is real easy.

When you get the new harness plug end, it will have a good length of wire coming from the connector. You just have to match the wires up (super easy, just match positions on both harnesses) and connect them either via quick connectors or solder. I much prefer the solder method.

To clean, the easiest way is to have the right tools.

There is a tool that's like tweezers with sand paper on the ends and you use that to grab and scrape the pins clean. So, you need to find a way to scrape off the debris and build up off the pins. For the connector end, you need to clean the same stuff off, but just use one end of the tool.

Then I would take a pick to put the pins in the correct positions, if they moved while cleaning.

To be fair, I have had the toughest time cleaning Subaru connectors. They seem to be very finicky about being in the perfect position. It's worth a try, but don't be too surprised if you have to replace the connectors.

Good luck!

The top part is the fuel pump filter assembly. The fuel pump filter assembly is suppose to be replaced every 60k miles per the maintenance schedule (I can see from the picture yours is original) You will need at least a new fuel pump if that is failing as well.

I saw another fuel pump filter assembly (the part with the electrical connection) that electrical connection got over heated like that as well. I am not sure if the burnt pins are a result of not doing the maintenance or result of a failing fuel pump. I would try to clean the electrical connector and see how that goes, before replacing it.

Well my pump is new, the assembly is not. I just went to subaru and got the top white part and I also got a new set of wires because you can't just buy the connector. Now I need to either find somebody to splice the new connection on my old wires or replace the entire thing.

By chance, do you know is the fuel temperature sensor a part of the actual fuel pump? Or is it a separate part all togther?

Well my pump is new, the assembly is not. I just went to subaru and got the top white part and I also got a new set of wires because you can't just buy the connector. Now I need to either find somebody to splice the new connection on my old wires or replace the entire thing.

By chance, do you know is the fuel temperature sensor a part of the actual fuel pump? Or is it a separate part all togther?

What is a "new set of wires"?

I feel like if you got this far, you should be able to splice that new connector in yourself. Just post here and ask questions, if you run into trouble.

Go to a hardware store (take your wires with you) and they should be able to direct you to the correct size quick connector. From there all you need is some needle nose pliers and you're good to go.

Aww, man- stripper/crimper tools are cheap enough, may as well buy one- you'll get a much better crimp that way than you would with pliers. I've gotten more than enough use out of mine purely stripping and cutting wire to justify owning it, and I think it only cost me about $15. Granted, I've done quite a bit of re-wiring on my house in the last few months, but still, definitely worth having.

...wanna know how I know I hang out around the electrical engineers too much at work? :p

Also, I'd try running it without the new temp sensor first and see if the code comes back- fair chance the that before the pump seized, it was having a hard time pumping due to internal resistance or blockage or whatever, which would drastically increase the amperage draw (hence the magic smoke escaping from the connector) and create a bunch of heat in the pump.

Sorry I didn't check in sooner but seriously thanks for all the support and information guys! This is why I love this forum. I ordered the assembly and the wires so I'm waiting for them to come in. Although I'm a bit worried after seeing that diagram....I only ordered the white top part of the fuel pump assembly NOT the entire assembly it's self. So now I think I need to take that diagram and go back to subaru so they can also give me the temp sensor.

As for what cause this, all I can say is that my car was at a body shop I no longer trust or promote. It was a place called Imperial and I started to feel sketchy when I would leave my car there. The last time I did I put my car in valet mode and I'm pretty sure somebody didn't know that and was trying to drive my car aggressively. At least thats what I was told the first time I had seen the connector in that condition. Honestly I have no idea what actually cause it but the other day my car just stalled in the middle of the road and I since then I am only able to start it once per day (I have no idea why). When I turn the key to acc I can't hear the fuel pump prime, if it does decide to prime then it starts for me. Its really shitty

What is a "new set of wires"?

I feel like if you got this far, you should be able to splice that new connector in yourself. Just post here and ask questions, if you run into trouble.

Go to a hardware store (take your wires with you) and they should be able to direct you to the correct size quick connector. From there all you need is some needle nose pliers and you're good to go.

New set of wires as in I order the entire connector. The pigtail and all the wires as a whole, I hope I'm making sense

B on the diagram is the fuel temperature sensor.

Would you mind linking me the online part manual? This diagram is golden, I wanna see why other information is avaibke there. I think I still have my manual at my mother's house hahaha

Would you mind linking me the online part manual? This diagram is golden, I wanna see why other information is avaibke there. I think I still have my manual at my mother's house hahaha

The picture is screen shot of the service manual. The service manual barely mentions the fuel temperature sensor. Anyways here is the fuel level sensor, which I think includes fuel temperature sensor.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2011_Legacy-GT-Limited-Sedan-25L-TURBO-6MT-4WD/LEVEL-SENSOR/49250190/42081SC011.html

Archived