LegacyGT.com

Are brakes and wipers covered under basic warranty?

I've been reading conflicting things about whether wear items, such as brake pads/rotors and wiper blades, are covered under the basic 3 year/36,000 factory warranty. I called my local Subaru dealer and was told that these are wear items and are not covered. Can anyone confirm one way or the other? Thanks!

Well I learned something new:

https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-warranty/warranties-2016.html

Wear Item Limited Warranty

WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

But also keep in mind :

Damage Caused Due to Use of Vehicle in Competitive Events

These warranties do not cover damage to any component that is the result of operating the vehicle in any competition or racing event

And commercial use is also excluded , I'm sure that includes uber / rideshare if they knew about it.

Well I guess that settles that. My front rotors are definitely warped and I am very good/cautious with braking and my windshield wipers need to be replaced. Guess I’ll just make the appointment and if they give me any trouble I’ll show them the website.

Be sure to say you want your rotors *replaced* - otherwise you'll just get them resurfaced.

You cannot dictate what they do. If the rotors are fine and only need a resurfacing, that is what they will do. If they find that they have to take off more metal than what will be within spec, then they will replace. You cannot tell them what to do;)

Rotors can all be resurfaced once...it is a second time that you start to get out of specs for the thickness requirements for a rotor to be safe.

You cannot dictate what they do. If the rotors are fine and only need a resurfacing, that is what they will do.

Correct. Subaru's obligation under warranty is the repair or replace, at their option.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I had the wipers replaced on my OB and they did it with no questions asked. They actually changed the whole wiper and not just the insert. Subaru redesigned the wipers some time in 2017 I think.

Bad thing in my case as I had purchased 4 sets of wiper inserts to use on both cars and now I have wiper inserts for 8 years or more for the legacy!

Archived