LegacyGT.com

When to replace water pump and thermostat? And CVT Oil Change?

Hello

I have 93,000 miles on my 2013 2.5 Limited.

I had the short block replaced around 72,000 under the lawsuit letter.

I negotiated with the dealer that I can have the water pump and thermostat replaced before 102,000 miles and only pay the cost of the parts. No labor.

What is the general recommendation on when to replace water pump and thermostat? The easy answer is when the water pump begins to leak, and the thermostat, when you experience overheating or other coolant temp issues (stuck open, etc)

I've got 10,000 miles left to decide.

Also, since I have 93,000 miles, and the Subaru TSB letter gives extended warranty on the CVT up to 100,000 miles, I would like to change the CVT oil well in advance of this, to ensure no issues.

I already changed the CVT oil around 54,000 miles, so it's got 39,000 miles on the CVT oil.

Is it worth it to change the CVT oil now, at 93,000, to ensure that I have no issues in the next 7,000 remaining miles?

thoughts?

thanks

I usually schedule water pump changes with the timing belt service, if you have a free water pump change I would do the timing belt service during that.

No experience with the CVT but your plan for it sounds reasonable.

I usually schedule water pump changes with the timing belt service, if you have a free water pump change I would do the timing belt service during that.

He had a FB25 so it doesn’t have a timing belt.

How many more miles do you plan on keeping your car? I would think a water pump should be good for at least 100k miles maybe more since it chain driven and does have the tension of the timing belt on it.

Correct, timing chain.

I plan to keep this car long-term. ( I should have stated that in the original post).

If you think a rough rule of thumb for a water pump is 100K, than maybe I will proceed with this.

What about thermostat?

Huh. Learn something new everyday. :)

100k would be a good time to change the water pump pre-emptively IMO. I would do the thermostat at the same time while the coolant is out.

I'd be inclined to replace every rubber coolant hose during this time as well.

While the chain is out are there any servicable parts in there? On some cars it's a good idea to replace the chain tensioners and/or guides at certain mileage or time?

All that may not be needed on these engines but I've had other cars that need all that to stay reliable (BMWs go figure), so I end up being suspicious of everything on all my cars by default lol!

Archived