LegacyGT.com

2018 Legacy: Direct or Indirect TPMS Sensors

• 1 month later...
Indirect tpms haven't been legal on new cars since I think 2007. While direct are more expensive, be happy you don't have indirect system. My mom's 05 Scion TC has them and it's horrible, the light comes on constantly sometimes because temperature changed 20 degrees outside, sometimes for no reason, sometimes because of a flat, so you are constantly checking tire pressure if you want to be sure. And other times you can be down 10+ psi and the light won't come on yet.

There is a Schraeder sensor that folks have been using successfully, but I don't know the part number offhand; I drive a '17 and there were major changes on the '18. Searching for 2018 TPMS should bring up the relevant threads. The Schraeder sensor is much less expensive than the Subaru-branded part.

informenter-marker-1.pnginformenter-marker-1.png

Bit off topic but how do check the status of the tires? I can't find any way to check the pressure using the TPMS. I've checked the manual and played with the vehicle settings looking for it. Maybe it's staring me in the face but I can't find anything. I've never had any warning about tire pressure so I'm not suspecting a problem but, at this point, the only way I can check my tire pressure is the old fashioned way with a tire gauge.

I am glad my Legacy allows me to check my tire pressure from the driver's seat. The mediocre Goodyear Eagle LS2 OEM tires on my car like to randomly lose a few PSI over a short time, even with the stupid nitrogen the dealer insisted on using to inflate them.

Stupid nitrogen. LOL!

I read somewhere that when tires lose pressure it is mostly the smaller O2 molecules that seep through the tire walls leaving the larger N2 molecules behind. This means that, over time, as you continue to lose O2 and top up with regular air, you end up with mostly Nitrogen in your tires. Sounds reasonable but I have no idea if it's true.

I get the theory of nitrogen being better in tires. The reality for me so far, and not just with the Legacy, is nitrogen-filled tires have less stable tire pressures than air-filled (78% Nitrogen to begin with) tires. Ironically, both tires I've had Nitrogen in from the dealer were Goodyears, so maybe it isn't the nitrogen's fault.

Nitrogen sure keeps our pressures stable when we are going from freezing Jersey to hot S. Florida and back.

No. There is nothing special about nitrogen vs. plain air with respect to temperature ... about 1 psi increase per 10 degrees (F) temperature rise. At normal temperatures and pressures, both nitrogen and air conform to the Ideal Gas Law and can be described by the same classic equation: PV = nRT. In the case of tire inflation, V, n, and R are all constant, so the equation neatly reduces to P ~ T (where P is absolute pressure and T is absolute temperature).

The only real benefit to nitrogen for tires is that it's guaranteed to be dry (i.e. free of water vapor), while poorly managed shop air can contain a significant amount of water. But dry air works just as well in your tires as nitrogen.

I read somewhere that when tires lose pressure it is mostly the smaller O2 molecules that seep through the tire walls leaving the larger N2 molecules behind.

Not true. Molecular diffusion would indeed be a factor if you were to inflate your tires with helium, but both nitrogen and oxygen molecules are so large that diffusion loss through tire rubber is unmeasurable.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I believe from personal experience that 100% nitrogen definitely can be a big help if your tires aren't particularly great at sealng for instance on my old beat-up Jeep that had tires that were a slightly larger size than OEM with nitrogen I could go 4 to six months without losing for any pressure with regular compressed air I could only go about a month

Archived