LegacyGT.com

unmarried to cobb

teksimian

If this is against some community guidelines, i apologize, mods can remove.

This is just somewhat of a curiosity to me as someone that's studied computer engineering my whole life this scenario crossed my mind;

What prevents someone from flashing a stage 2 map via AP, copying the map off the ecu with a tactrix cable, unmarrying the AP, and reflashing the map via tactrix?

You can't copy the map off with a Tactrix cable (at least, through ECUFlash). I don't know the specifics (i.e. whether the AP uses a firmware lock-bit or other sort of software security/proprietary communications).

In addition, the AP doesn't just change the factory maps. It also changes several of the ROM's subroutines by redirecting some of the tables into RAM, allowing real-time tuning (which isn't really there for the OS route).

I'm sure if you were clever enough, you could pull the ECU from the car and wire up a bench flashing setup, pull the ROM and then flash it onto another car.

Technically it can not be done. Honestly the free tunes are not good enough to worry about a company taking on the expense of trying to crack cobbs security. An individual might have no life and nothing better to do and figure it out. But after all these years, why? If you have program mojo like that get a good paying job.

If your smart enough to hack the code, you should be smart enough to know how to tune the car yourself.

Just see what a few of the members here do...like "covertrussian" pretty impressive what he does.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived