LegacyGT.com

Oil Leak Diagnosis ‘05 LGT

Hey all. So I bought a legacy gt a month or two ago and it’s got an oil leak that’s been puzzling me to no end. I got the car up on a lift and couldn’t for the life of me find the head gasket leak that the p.o was telling me was the issue. The other day I was under the hood inspecting everything and noticed a bit of oil coming from the bottom of the turbo, right where the oil return line feeds back into the passenger side head. I’ll attach some imgur links. Can anybody confirm that this may be the culprit? If it helps, I’m losing about a 1/4 of the dipstick reading every week. I can smell the oil burning off of the exhaust, and my uppipe has a white tinge to it which is leading me to believe that’s where it’s been burning off. Also, the oil seems to be gathering in the middle of the car on the subframe. Being that the heads are on the extreme left or right sides of the engine, I don’t see how that could be my issue.

http://imgur.com/pHTPYPW

http://imgur.com/GqDpF5q

http://imgur.com/8eH8Squ

http://imgur.com/zpRbons

http://imgur.com/IcgjwpQ

I'm going to say it is a collection of the following:

Valve cover gaskets

Rear main seal

Oil pan "gasket"

Turbo inlet

Turbo drain hose

Since it's an '05, I'm going to guess high mileage and that most of these items are original.

What aftermarket parts are currently installed?

Do you have a way to monitor engine parameters via AP or Tactrix cable?

I'm going to say it is a collection of the following:

Valve cover gaskets

Rear main seal

Oil pan "gasket"

Turbo inlet

Turbo drain hose

Since it's an '05, I'm going to guess high mileage and that most of these items are original.

What aftermarket parts are currently installed?

Do you have a way to monitor engine parameters via AP or Tactrix cable?

Valve cover gaskets were done 10k miles ago by P.O. only aftermarket components on the car are a catless uppipe and catless downpipe. As for the other things mentioned, I don’t have any records saying they were replaced. Car currently has 190k on the clock.

Edit: I have an OBD2 scanner which has a function to monitor engine parameters

When you replace the turbo oil return hose, you'll get a good look at what else is under there.

Did the car come with a Cobb AP ? You need a tune for the down pipe, or you'll need a Tactrix cable as he said

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When I look closely at the last picture it looks like it could be CV axle grease, sort of like you see in these pictures. Hard to say if it's from a previously torn boot, or if that current boot is torn.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replace-rebuild-torn-cv-boot-and-axle-108975.html

The boot is torn but that wouldn’t be causing me to lose engine oil. That’s something I do need to get replaced but I’m more worried about engine reliability atm.

When you replace the turbo oil return hose, you'll get a good look at what else is under there.

Did the car come with a Cobb AP ? You need a tune for the down pipe, or you'll need a Tactrix cable as he said

It did not. I don’t know whether it has a tune or not. It runs fine and doesn’t throw me any codes and all cylinders seem good on compression/no misfires. I do need to get a tactrix cable and romraider and compare the map to see if it’s stock or not.

Well, my old girl has started leaking oil from the Driver-side head / timing belt area. Leaking oil over night, leave about a 12" diameter puddle. Has anyone got any advice for me? Other than this issue, she still runs great and is completely stock. What can I expect to pay to have this problem repaired? No mods at all.

Changed the timing belt at approx. 100k

Could be one of the cam seals. At 100k on the old timing belt, I would have that service done and hopefully they can fix the oil leak while they are there.

Figure $1000 or less for parts and labor. Find a good local repair shop do not go to the dealership.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Are there any guides you can link me to on here to go about changing it? I searched but couldn’t find what I’m looking for. Thanks!

I just changed mine. I couldn't find a guide for it either. It's nearly impossible to change it without pulling the turbo. The oil drain tube is under the turbo, on the engine side. There's little to no room down there. It's just a rubber tube w/ two clamps. A new one only cost me like $16 at my local dealer. Search for a walkthrough on pulling the turbo.

Basically these steps; drain coolant, remove tmic, unbolt down pipe, unbolt uppipe, remove oil and coolant turbo feeds, undo at least one of the oil drain clamps, pull turbo.

Getting it back on can be hard too. I had to alternate working from above and below to get the rubber tube to line up with metal return tube.

Getting the turbo back on is much easier if you bolt the turbo to the up pipe. Here's mine for you new guys.

DSCN4782.thumb.JPG.1975a332e6be46ed26273b363b66243d.JPG

You may want to remove that banjo bolt filter while your there too if it hasn't been done yet.

Archived