LegacyGT.com

How often do you clean your leather

For decades our cars have been leather interior. I have many products to clean, condition and repair leather. One of my Jags had a terrible passenger seat and bought leatherique crack filler. It was my first try at fixing a seat using the product. My one mechanic was amazed at the outcome and wish I could find pictures.

I was curious how often most people will clean their leather and condition their leather. Our cars are frequently used and spend lots of time in the sun so I might do the seats more often than a car that never sees the sun.

For decades our cars have been leather interior. I have many products to clean, condition and repair leather. One of my Jags had a terrible passenger seat and bought leatherique crack filler. It was my first try at fixing a seat using the product. My one mechanic was amazed at the outcome and wish I could find pictures.

I was curious how often most people will clean their leather and condition their leather. Our cars are frequently used and spend lots of time in the sun so I might do the seats more often than a car that never sees the sun.

For what it is worth, I get mine done at a trusted car detailer who I have known for a long time. I know he only uses quality products, and when I first got a car with leather seats, he said that the product he uses advises that it be applied once a year .... but he said in his opinion, no leather cleaner/protector will last effectively for a full year in a car that has normal usuage .... and he recommended that I get it done every 6 months. There would be some reading this who might suggest that my detailer is only saying this to get my money .... but as I said in the beginning, I have known this guy for many years and he is trustworthy.

What do you guys do for your headlights, to protect them from fading/yellowing in the sun? That is my bigger concern.

I park in my garage and actually try to park my car always facing North, as much as possible (for long outdoor durations) or in the shade if possible, to keep the sun off of the headlights.

I clay bar and wax every year myself, including the headlights, but is there anything else that can be done to protect the lights?

What do you guys do for your headlights, to protect them from fading/yellowing in the sun? That is my bigger concern.

I park in my garage and actually try to park my car always facing North, as much as possible (for long outdoor durations) or in the shade if possible, to keep the sun off of the headlights.

I clay bar and wax every year myself, including the headlights, but is there anything else that can be done to protect the lights?

If you ask that very question to a certain two well known "youtubers" you might get two different answers :lol: Scotty Kilmer and Chris Fix have been publicly duking it out lately over this exact question .... and it got a bit ugly.

For what it is worth, I get mine done at a trusted car detailer who I have known for a long time. I know he only uses quality products, and when I first got a car with leather seats, he said that the product he uses advises that it be applied once a year .... but he said in his opinion, no leather cleaner/protector will last effectively for a full year in a car that has normal usuage .... and he recommended that I get it done every 6 months. There would be some reading this who might suggest that my detailer is only saying this to get my money .... but as I said in the beginning, I have known this guy for many years and he is trustworthy.

Buy a bottle of Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner and do it yourself. Very EASY to clean and condition leather and you can buy the products you need for under $20. Why pay anyone to clean and condition your seats unless your arms are broken??? 15-20 minutes on a Saturday and you're done!

https://www.amazon.com/Lexol-E301123100-Conditioner-Furniture-Accessories/dp/B005H7DRQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531308162&sr=8-1&keywords=lexol+leather+care+kit

I had my headlights clear bra.

Both our 2018 Crosstrek Limited and mine - Before 100mi on the clock, I cleaned using Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner. Then I treated it with Chemical Guys Leather Serum - one coat over ALL leather surfaces. Gave it a deep matte black finish, feels soft and supple and smells amazing.

Hands down, best I've ever used. I'll repeat once per year or as necessary.

Buy a bottle of Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner and do it yourself. Very EASY to clean and condition leather and you can buy the products you need for under $20. Why pay anyone to clean and condition your seats unless your arms are broken??? 15-20 minutes on a Saturday and you're done!

https://www.amazon.com/Lexol-E301123100-Conditioner-Furniture-Accessories/dp/B005H7DRQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531308162&sr=8-1&keywords=lexol+leather+care+kit

I have great respect for you and other DIY'ers on this forum ..... I don't have broken arms, but my friendly detailer does the whole interior for a good price, so the cost is no burden, and that therefore gives me an extra 15-20 minutes on a Saturday to drink beer. ;)

Doing it yourself is part of personal pride in the finished product. It is a nice feeling when the detailer at the dealership give you a compliment on the quality of the work.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

What did you think of Chem guys smell? I haven't used their stuff and I am looking for either:

A: Good leather smell

or

B: New car smell

Both our 2018 Crosstrek Limited and mine - Before 100mi on the clock, I cleaned using Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner. Then I treated it with Chemical Guys Leather Serum - one coat over ALL leather surfaces. Gave it a deep matte black finish, feels soft and supple and smells amazing.

Hands down, best I've ever used. I'll repeat once per year or as necessary.

Lexol is a product that I've used for decades and I've never been disappointed.

What did you think of Chem guys smell? I haven't used their stuff and I am looking for either:

or

It has a "genuine" leather scent, and I like it. It really does look, feel and smell great.

It has a "genuine" leather scent, and I like it. It really does look, feel and smell great.
I'll give it a try. For the reasonable price ... why not.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

or

I'm not necessarily suggesting that the product you are specifically mentioning is a "problem" ..... but in general, "new car Smell" can be.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/03/what-exactly-is-that-new-car-smell/

Doing it yourself is part of personal pride in the finished product. It is a nice feeling when the detailer at the dealership give you a compliment on the quality of the work.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul [emoji847]

I hear what you are saying Row, and like I previously posted, I have respect for you and other "do it yourselfers." I have noted your previous posts on how you clean your car, and I give you a lot kudos for your efforts .... but hopefully you are not suggesting that those who don't wish to be a DIYer are somehow lacking "personal pride" in their vehicle. :) My last trade-in was 10 years old, and the dealer was estatic over its condition. They wanted it straight away for an uncoming big advertised sale, despite the fact that my proposed replacement car was not yet available .... so they gave me a brand new loaner for 10 days so that they could have my trade-in out the front of the lot.

So I took that as a personal compliment regarding the way I had looked after my vehicle .... albeit that I paid someone else to do some of (not all) of the work.;)

Yep I know all about the VOC and inherit possible cancer issues. I look at it this way, I am over 65 years old, with my family history I may make it another 10 years. If I like the smell, I'll take the risk. The same with the sunshine, food, etc. I have friends that are so fearful of everything, I am not sure how they enjoy life.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that the product you are specifically mentioning is a "problem" ..... but in general, "new car Smell" can be.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/03/what-exactly-is-that-new-car-smell/

Yep I know all about the VOC and inherit possible cancer issues. I look at it this way, I am over 65 years old, with my family history I may make it another 10 years. If I like the smell, I'll take the risk. The same with the sunshine, food, etc. I have friends that are so fearful of everything, I am not sure how they enjoy life.

I understand what you are saying here. Actually we are similar in age and have a similar outlook, (and some similar "fearful" friends) :) .... (and I like like the smell as well)

Archived