LegacyGT.com

Wiring for post facelift HID lamps

Ah width, that's it. Had not seen the comparison from that angle, thanks.

Give this a shot for hazing. Pitting is a bit harder. Not sure on that yet. I'm going to try some film.

Other then that you're basically stuck with sanding and 2k clear coat. Too bad the lenses are slightly different, could have swapped the lense over otherwise.

actually they both are post facelift headlamps in the photo. i don't have my pre facelift set anymore. they are 2in wider than the pre facelift because of the wider bumper. the post facelift bumper is 6in wider in the front.

one note. doing the jdm post facelift might be easier on a 08-09 LGT. i believe the low beam works as the drl. not sure about that. for 05-07, you have to disconnect the drl under the dash in order for the HID to work properly.

I think the 08-09 USDM cars use the high beams at a reduced brightness (through PWM, I think) for the DRLs, so it makes it easier to convert to JDM HIDs since the DRLs won't mess with the HIDs if the DRLs are on the high beams.

I think the 08-09 USDM cars use the high beams at a reduced brightness (through PWM, I think) for the DRLs, so it makes it easier to convert to JDM HIDs since the DRLs won't mess with the HIDs if the DRLs are on the high beams.

yes that's it.

so if you want the bi-xenon HIDs headlamps, they should have two additional wires coming from the case. white and yellow. because of the age of these lamps, they might look like the same color.

48386033_192286798389388_757819418574061568_n.jpg.ecddc4b9cc06c33c7d9c1fd979670b13.jpg

Edited by 05MNLGT

if you haven't seen the jdm drls before, they're pretty cool. got things figured out, but i have to swap out the jdm plugs i put on the harness to run my current lights.

I got these little led bulbs from the Russian source Pyro mentioned earlier. I love it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=271281&d=1543974872

attachment.php?attachmentid=271282&d=1543974914

here is the shield active and non-active. pretty cool.

So looks like it is not using the same shield like the non washer model. What are you going to do to get the proper beam pattern? Looks tricky now.

Edit: I just took a look at your picture again. It appears that it may be possible to flip that shield in there, but you're going to have to be very careful doing so. But regardless, having the bi-xenon feature is really great. I would love that.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

So knowing what you know now. Would it be easier to do a retro fit on the headlights with the washer set or that is not even an option based on the way the washer set is assembled.

it would be easier on non bi-xenon set. i'm still working on the hid/high beam wiring. the answer i don't have is, does bi xenon only come on the washer set? my other set on the car currently was from unclemat. they were a shell and i didn't know there was a bi-xenon option, so i never looked.

So looks like it is not using the same shield like the non washer model. What are you going to do to get the proper beam pattern? Looks tricky now.

Edit: I just took a look at your picture again. It appears that it may be possible to flip that shield in there, but you're going to have to be very careful doing so. But regardless, having the bi-xenon feature is really great. I would love that.

i thought about it, but knowing me, something would break. these lamps are 10+ yr old. they are brittle. they might be bi-xenon due to the cut off high beam.

IMG_9006.JPG.52b8d7b34920ab6681104f751e5f2505.JPG

Uhm, some more details? Headlights are what I want to mod next. Are your headlights JDM?

I got these little led bulbs from the Russian source Pyro mentioned earlier. I love it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=271281&d=1543974872

attachment.php?attachmentid=271282&d=1543974914

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

here are the two tanks. the jdm is slightly different, more the mounting points. mounts to the chasisy just like the usdm, but it doesn't align to the three mounting point. which is fine, just rig it up with a small zip tie. also the pumps on the jdm are exposed vs the cover over the pumps on the usdm version. other then those little things, it went in fine. used my pumps for now. need to figure out the relay and jdm wiring for the pumps and motor.

IMG_9074.thumb.JPG.5cdba95f67ce1c989db06de3357eb06f.JPG

IMG_9075-1.thumb.JPG.cc03e7a1d709894de50a7eea22f3cf74.JPG

so xt2005 how did you wiring your drls to get them to work?

yes that's my plan too. to do the cross fire led.

Sorry. Just saw your question...

Actually, mine are not cross fire led. I got these:

attachment.php?attachmentid=271283&d=1543974989

I have actually unplugged the white plug from the DRL module. And I will tap on a positive wire from the fuse box for these little LEDs. (see this post)

On a side note I also installed double filament orange bulbs in the turn signal slots. Got the bulbs from autozone. I believe they fit the Chevrolet Spark.

Uhm, some more details? Headlights are what I want to mod next. Are your headlights JDM?

Yes JDM. I got the nose cut about two months ago, and installed everything about a month ago. I should have made a build thread to document the work :redface:.

There's still one available from my local jdm vendor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Subaru-Legacy-Outback-06-And-Up-Bumper-Headlights-Fenders-Hood/273153723933?hash=item3f993b0e1d:g:B3kAAOSwgc1azQgg:rk:37:pf:0

So yeah. Keep in mind that the JDM and USDM headlights have slightly different shape, even though it does not appear so.

Actually, mine are not cross fire led. I got these:

attachment.php?attachmentid=271283&d=1543974989

I have actually unplugged the white plug from the DRL module. And I will tap on a positive wire from the fuse box for these little LEDs. (see this post)

On a side note I also installed double filament orange bulbs in the turn signal slots. Got the bulbs from autozone. I believe they fit the Chevrolet Spark.

split the signal and parking light. parking light is tied into the drl now. it's temp, but i do like being able to shut off the drls.

split the signal and parking light. parking light is tied into the drl now. it's temp, but i do like being able to shut off the drls.

Yeah. I will not be able to shut off the DRL unless I add a switch and relay. But meh, it's OK. They'll turn on with ignition and will remain on. That's OK for now.

On the other hand, I like the fact that when I turn the combination switch one notch, my parking lights turn on but not the HID. Looks pretty cool actually.

Correct! I just saw this thread, the turn signals are the same bulb as the chevy spark rear turn signal. I did this swap last year and it took me a while to figure it out, I went into the GM dealer with the wierd part number and the guy said he had never seen a part number like it, punched it in and it came up. He couldn't believe it.

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

when i'm too lazy to put it on the lift, i use my ikea mat. off an ikea chair. soooo nice to work on it. fun times emptying a full washer tank.

Love the idea! I was just at ikea on saturday too. I know what I'm buying next time I'm there

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy