LegacyGT.com

Thoughts on Coilover Setup

MDSubie4

I have an 05 GT wagon, usually have some weight in the back, camping stuff and 3 bikes on the bike rack. Have two good sized kids about the 200 pound mark.

Was thinking of ordering Ksports. Found out that the setup is same for the wagon as the sedan GT. Am I going to sag?

Both front and rears are listed as 8k whereas other subes are at 6k in the rear.

I can upgrade to a 10k rear. Might be harsher when I'm empty but don't want rubbing if I'm loaded.

Thoughts?

I'm bone stock now and looking to lower about an inch and install sways simultaneously.

I have an 05 GT wagon, usually have some weight in the back, camping stuff and 3 bikes on the bike rack. Have two good sized kids about the 200 pound mark.

Was thinking of ordering Ksports. Found out that the setup is same for the wagon as the sedan GT. Am I going to sag?

Both front and rears are listed as 8k whereas other subes are at 6k in the rear.

I can upgrade to a 10k rear. Might be harsher when I'm empty but don't want rubbing if I'm loaded.

Thoughts?

I'm bone stock now and looking to lower about an inch and install sways simultaneously.

Most coilovers will not have a specific model to the sedan or the wagon as since they're height adjustable you can just set your ride height accordingly. 8k spring rates are already decently high on a entry level coilover so I wouldn't recommend going past that especially because it sounds like your car is on family duty.

If you're only looking to lower the car an inch I would recommend going with a set of quality lowering springs and aftermarket struts such as Koni Yellows instead. Sure this might cost the same but it will ride and handle better compared to entry level coilovers and if you end up with Konis, you'll have lifetime warranty on the struts.

If you're deadset on a set of coilovers, I would spend the extra money on a set of RCE Tarmacs or KW V2s. I have KWs on my car and after owning several cars with entry level coilovers, the ride quality is simply amazing.

Ksport/D2 are cheap generic dampers and 8/6 kg/mm springs from the old drift days. They probably don't even bother changing the dampening for specific cars.

I'd spend more on better suspension (like the examples above), since you'll be doing long trips, you'd want comfortable, controlled suspension.

Thanks for your input guys. I'll go spring/strut setup.

I had a set of BC Coilovers on my previous ride Mazda 3 and wasn't pleased with the lack of dampening. You could definitely stiffen the ride, but the absorption/control after hitting a freeway expension joint was insane, the car would get squirelly. I don't drive like that anymore but was looking for some reliability without spending a couple of G's on nice coilover set.

Next step is a readup for me on what springs will give me a 25% stiffer ride over stock and lower me about 1.25" in the front and maybe 1" in the rear but also give me the extra spring rate to handle a heavier load in the trunk.

Thanks again.

K Sport are complete crap, I’d steer clear of them for sure. Love my RCE Tarmacs but wouldn’t suggest them for a daily driver just based on the maintenance requirements down the road. All coilovers regardless of quality will need to be rebuilt at some point and probably sooner than you’d like. Stick with a good strut spring combo it’s way more plug and play for the street.

Archived