LegacyGT.com

Mystery knock hunting.

I have the same issues. I Checked the maf. Valves have been adjusted. Every bolt tightened. New timing belt and gears. I can get up to -30 knock on stage 1, I'm running stage 0 and get up to -10 knock. All under low load.

My mechanics have all said not to worry and the only way they think it will get fixed is a custom tune.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea man, it is so unbelievably frustrating. I will keep you all posted. The search will continue until I either find the problem or sell the car! I just find it hard to believe that it could be false knock if it varies between tunes.

As far as everyone has told me, the Cobb tunes and the stock tune handle knock the same. So if the knock was something rattling, it should stay the same.

2005 LGT MT stage 1

• 3 weeks later...

So folks I've done tons to this car and figured I owed an update. I discovered that my right front ocv valve wasnt functioning properly, and I replaced it. I was soooo sure this was going to be my knock problem.... But I was let down. Oh well, it needed to be done anyway.

However, it cleaned up my knock on the stock tune immensely, I get a max of -2 feedback occasionally and no learned.

Ive done a downpipe and several other things and so when I run the Cobb stage 2 map, I get tons of knock, feedback knock goes straight to -12 on mild accel, and learn quickly jumps up. This all occurs between 0.20 and 1.20 load. I have yet to see an even above that load level. But 1.20 is not exactly low load anymore. I have accesstuner and the way the two maps handle knock is identical from what I can see. So at this point I think it really must be real knock.

2005 LGT MT stage 1

Invidia, it did this on the stock one as well though. It occasionally will still still pull timing on the stock map as well, it seems to have returned to normal, around -6 occasionally. Still not as bad as the stg 2 map

2005 LGT MT stage 1

Check for loose exhaust heatshields or anything that would rattle near the knock sensor. Also verify the correct orientation of the knock sensor.

Can someone elaborate on this or provide a pic.....I recently changed mine and wasn't aware there was a specific orientation :confused:

Thanks,

Can someone elaborate on this or provide a pic.....I recently changed mine and wasn't aware there was a specific orientation :confused:

Thanks,

Here is a picture from the FSM. It is on page FU(H4DOTC)-25. Note that the top of the picture is the front of the car. cf0d1024d5e96868806f56e69cc07a83.jpg

Yea I've double checked my orientation and torque and everything. I'm almost positive at this point that my knock is real, changing tunes makes a huge difference, while adjusting timing has no effect, so at this point I think it has to be one of a few things, fueling, avcs issues, burnt out valve or other internal issue, or a vacuum leak I can't find. I've essentially replaced all sensors except the rear o2, I'm at a loss. I've been sending various logs to Cobb to have them look it over. Will continue to update on any progress I make.

The only difference I see in the ots map vs the stock map in these load regions is the avcs advance tables, so I'm feeling like this may be me issue (I have access tuner) the timing changes are not significant, a max of 0.70 increase from what I can see.

2005 LGT MT stage 1

Have you checked all pulleys on the engine including the alternator and the AC compressor?

For example the alternator bearings can become noisy a long time before the alternator dies.

Also the power steering could cause noise that could be detected as knock.

453747.png

Yes the pulleys are very quiet, my power steering does have a leak but I keep it topped off so it doesn't squeal.

And is that on all rpms? Just because it's silent while idling doesn't mean that it's not causing problems at higher rpms. The experience I have is that the early stage of a bearing failing still can be silent until a certain rpm.

453747.png

• 3 weeks later...

Figured it was time for an update. Haven't solved my problem but.... I now know without a reasonable doubt that my knock is real. After weeks of talking with Cobb and sending them logs, they sent me a map with extremely conservative parameters, and my knock magnitude was cut in half. The car has like no power with this tune but I've been driving it with this map as it is safer. I went a step colder on plugs but still have the same issues. At this point I feel I may have a valve issue or something I really have no idea.

2005 LGT MT stage 1

Archived