LegacyGT.com

Wiring Question in regards to Rear Fog Light

Does anyone know about vehicle wiring? It may or not be a simple task but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to wire up a Rear Fog Light?

The rear fog light would be converted from one of the reverse lights like in the picture below.

It would only activate when the front fogs are on and/or if a switch is pressed in order not to annoy others.

Does anyone know if the the law requires that there be more than one rear backup light?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180607/f8a1ee7222924380d4c2efb46bb9b131.png

I've noticed a lot of people with Volvos and Audis in my area that these rear fog lights since it gets really foggy here.

I used a bit of a hack up last summer. May or may not be what you are looking for. https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rear-light-cluster-265980p2.html?highlight=rear+light+cluster

I put it primarily to increase visibility in heavy rain / spray when its not dark enough for the light to come on.

I spliced it to ACC from a "add a fuse" I had for the dash cam in the interior fuse box area. I snuck in a cheap push button switch in line so I could turn it off when I wanted.

You could tap into the front fog circuit, but I think that fuse is in under the hood.

This leads me in the right direction but I will need to splice it from the fog lights and run a cable all the way to the trunk then to the right reverse light. That or create a switch for it.

This leads me in the right direction but I will need to splice it from the fog lights and run a cable all the way to the trunk then to the right reverse light. That or create a switch for it.

I just drilled a hole on the inside fuse panel cover and mounted the push button switch on there. For me, that was easier than routing a wire through the firewall and mess some seal there and cause other problems down the road.

Also, not sure how the SRF setting is on the '18 is, but on the '15 it is on by default and even if you turn it off, it resets when you turn the car off. If you did splice from the fogs, you may have the light on the rear dance along when you turn left or right while the headlights are ON (depending on which fuse you tap into).

The alternative if you don't have a tow hook is to do the center "F1 style" mount in the bumper, or as the Impreza has like this - the Euro models are required to have reflectors low mounted and they can double as fog lights.

1902726048_2017-Subaru-Impreza-5-Door-rear-three-quarters1.thumb.jpg.dd8bba836f04b52fce3d86787ae0dac0.jpg

453747.png

• 2 months later...

Archived